Everywhere That Mary Went by Lisa Scottoline: A Book Review

This book was sent to me by my dear friend, Heather, as part of April's Buy a Friend a Book Week. She and I had been discussing what authors we were reading these days and one of her favorites is Lisa Scottoline. When I mentioned that I hadn't read any of Ms. Scottoline's books, Heather kindly picked me to buy a book for. So thanks Heather for introducing me to another fabulous author.

I sincerily enjoyed Everywhere That Mary Went. It's been a long while since I'd read any legal thrillers. John Grisham burnout and all that. lol But Ms. Scottoline's take on the legal thriller is much more my speed.

It's part legal thriller, part mystery, part romance and part chick lit, if that makes any sense. lol Even though this book was written far before chick lit's time, to me, it just had a certian chick lit flare to it.But it also had the perfect balance of all these elements so it was all good.

Mary, a young widow, is an attorney up for partnership in the firm she's been an associate at for the past eight years. She's just had a big coup, winning a particularly important case for the firm when she begins to receive several scarey notes, hang-up phone calls and her apartment gets broken into. When her assistant/secretary, Brent, is killed in a hit and run (much like her husband the year before) things go down hill from there. Mary is uncertain just who she can trust and finds herself in love with a man who she thinks might want to kill her.

All in all, a very enjoyable book. A quick paced mystery/thriller with a strong lead female character. The ending was quite the shocker, as well, and I never saw it coming. Always a plus when reading this genre. I had a lot of fun with the technoligical differences from the early 1990's, when the book was first published, as opposed to now. This was pre-caller ID, back when *69 was a new phenomenon and when car phones were a luxury, pre-cell phone era. One must keep that in mind when reading. Otherwise, the plot would fall apart a little with the phone harrassment part. But I did enjoy it and look forward to perhaps finding more of Ms. Scottoline's books in the future.

I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Heather said…
Great review, Jana - I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Ms. Scottoline's latest paperback, Devil's Corner, kept me up rather late last night. If it wasn't for that j-o-b thing in the morning I probably would have stayed up all night to finish it. ;-D
Jana said…
Oh yes. That j-o-b thing really messes up the reading time. lol

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today