Braindead
My mind is free from deep thoughts today. No ramblings on the inner workings of my mind and no new updates on my progression into emotional growth. I'm pondering a few things but can't seem to get them into written form and still make sense.
So instead I'll ramble on about my second favorite subject. My niece.
My niece started kindergarten yesterday. KINDERGARTEN! It seems that just yesterday she was this chubby little bundle of joy bouncing in my arms and now she's this little person with developed thoughts, worries, concerns and is fully capable of carrying on an actual conversation. She was so excited about the prospect of kindergarten or "big kid school" as she calls it. She was actually disappointed because she didn't have homework last night! lol I didn't dare tell her how quickly she was likely to get over that.
It amazes me the changes I see in her each time she comes to visit or calls me. It's like she's growing up right in front of me. She's smart and funny and snotty and whiney all at the same time. She calls me "hefer" and tells me I'm the only person who knows how to do stuff "the right way". Well, the only one besides Sis2, her other aunt. She gleefully tells me each time she spots a hottie and tells my in scant details about her various boyfriends. Yes. She's five and she has boyfriends. Three of them, actually. I'm jealous. *sigh* hehehe
I remember when she was about six months old, back when they still lived in the same town. I was a senior in college and I used to skip work and class to babysit her. She was a lively, spirited baby with chubby little legs, a huge slobbery grin, wide curious deep blue eyes and a deep and abiding love of all things musical. I got my excercise each time I kept her because I would inevitably turn the television on to CMT and she would inevitably begin "dancing" and I would end up dancing her around the house until we were both breathless. I remember with great fondness the way her tiny little hands would curl around my neck and hang on for dear life. The sweet sound of her delighted laughter. The way she would bounce in my arms if I stopped for even a second to catch my breath.
Looking at the pictures that my brother-in-law sent me from yesterday it's hard to imagine that that little girl with the butterfly bookbag strapped proudly to her back is the same little baby to whom I used to sing "I'll Fly Away" as a lullabye to get her to sleep. Before I know it she'll be a teenager who screams at me that I don't know anything.
Oh but wait. I'm her aunt. The cool one. It's her mother who won't know anything. I'll be the one she complains about her mother to. hehehehehe
Jana
So instead I'll ramble on about my second favorite subject. My niece.
My niece started kindergarten yesterday. KINDERGARTEN! It seems that just yesterday she was this chubby little bundle of joy bouncing in my arms and now she's this little person with developed thoughts, worries, concerns and is fully capable of carrying on an actual conversation. She was so excited about the prospect of kindergarten or "big kid school" as she calls it. She was actually disappointed because she didn't have homework last night! lol I didn't dare tell her how quickly she was likely to get over that.
It amazes me the changes I see in her each time she comes to visit or calls me. It's like she's growing up right in front of me. She's smart and funny and snotty and whiney all at the same time. She calls me "hefer" and tells me I'm the only person who knows how to do stuff "the right way". Well, the only one besides Sis2, her other aunt. She gleefully tells me each time she spots a hottie and tells my in scant details about her various boyfriends. Yes. She's five and she has boyfriends. Three of them, actually. I'm jealous. *sigh* hehehe
I remember when she was about six months old, back when they still lived in the same town. I was a senior in college and I used to skip work and class to babysit her. She was a lively, spirited baby with chubby little legs, a huge slobbery grin, wide curious deep blue eyes and a deep and abiding love of all things musical. I got my excercise each time I kept her because I would inevitably turn the television on to CMT and she would inevitably begin "dancing" and I would end up dancing her around the house until we were both breathless. I remember with great fondness the way her tiny little hands would curl around my neck and hang on for dear life. The sweet sound of her delighted laughter. The way she would bounce in my arms if I stopped for even a second to catch my breath.
Looking at the pictures that my brother-in-law sent me from yesterday it's hard to imagine that that little girl with the butterfly bookbag strapped proudly to her back is the same little baby to whom I used to sing "I'll Fly Away" as a lullabye to get her to sleep. Before I know it she'll be a teenager who screams at me that I don't know anything.
Oh but wait. I'm her aunt. The cool one. It's her mother who won't know anything. I'll be the one she complains about her mother to. hehehehehe
Jana
Comments
I know exactly how you feel hon. My second youngest starts Kindergarten on Tuesday. One of my babies,...going off to school where she'll learn about animals, and letters, numbers, and colors, and make a bunch of little friends.
SIGH
And yes, you are so lucky to be the aunt. My 13 yo complains to my sister ALL the time LOL
When I lived "back home", I was very close to my nephew. He was a preemie and I was home from university that summer, and he and I were just...special. He used to sleep on my chest and smile when I walked in the room. When we moved away he was 5, and I was so homesick for that little dude!
He's a teenager now and really fun but we've lost that closeness, I'm sorry to say. Seeing each other once every three years will do that.
Donna~That's my biggest fear...once she gets older they'll come home less and less and I'll lose that bond we have. Since I'm not likely to ever have kids of my own, I'm going to feel soooo lost.