Friday Ramblings

Yesterday was...well, to say the least, it was difficult. Long. Hard. Tiresome.

I was greeted at work with the news that there had been some flooding in 4 stack tiers due to the breakdown of a water fountain on the 6th stack that I didn't even know worked. Thankfully none of our materials were harmed...just a few damp architectural drawings that have to be dried. My super and the building maintence crew took care of most of that work so I didn't have to wade through the water much. I know it's a frightening situation though. Water and library materials don't mix, you know? And a lot of it is irreplaceable. Rare books, manuscripts, architectural drawings and the like.

I had to work until 6 last night. Thankfully no problems and despite the best efforts of the sun I was driving into, I made it home with nary a scratch. Unfortunately I had a disturbing message on my machine. It was my best friend, DQ. Her mom is in the hospital again. This time she had to have a mastecotmy. You see, she'd been battling cancer for the past couple of years and back in May, I think, she was given the good news that she was in full remission. Well, the other day she went in for her monthly checkup and they found a lump in her breast. Did a biopsy...malignant. Thought they could do a lumpechtomy to get it but ended up having to do a full mastechtomy. When I called DQ at the hospital last night she said that her mom was doing alright but they wouldn't know anything about further treatment or whatever until this morning. I truly pray that they got it all and that this doesn't mean that the battle is back. That whole family has just been through so much the past couple of years. They need a break. So please keep them in your prayers.

Then, I settled back to watch Alias and dang if Vaughn didn't up and die! Yeah, I had heard the rumors and read some spoilers but I was in denial. I was hoping that the rumors and spoilers were all a lie. What bothers me though is that I didn't cry. It didn't even seem that sad to me that this character who I had been attached to for four years had died after just having found out that he and his fiance are expecting a child. I don't know if I'm suddenly a heartless bitch or if the writers and actors just didn't give me the emotion that I needed. I mean, Sydney didn't even bawl and scream and go nuts like I expected. I kept waiting for her to fall into her father's arms and just weep for days. She just stood there with this constipated look on her face. I guess I was just like, heck, if she don't care, why should I?

In other news...

Sis1 is coming tonight to spend the weekend with me. We're supposed to go see "Just Like Heaven" tomorrow night. I hope we still get to. Sometimes she bails on me. I think she's missed me enough though that she won't. If you think I'm depressive you would just shudder at Sis1. She gets really REALLY down when she's been away too long. And she's got a lot of personal crap going on these days, too. So I get to play clownface this weekend to cheer her up. I don't mind. I like goofing off and being silly. Besides, I'll get an Emmy hug out of it. hehehe

Sis2 and her hubby are driving up for the day on Sunday. It's her birthday and she insisted on spending it with her family. Many kudos to her for getting her way on something! :-) (It's actually the second time she's gotten her way on something. lol) Anyhoo, she'll be 28. Gosh, we're getting old. We'll be 30 soon.

I have to admit though, as dark as that number looms, my buddy Pet described 30 in such a way that I'm not really dreading it so much anymore. Of course Pet is vastly more "together" and confident than I am so 30 to her was a horse of a different color. lol I am thinking though that perhaps by 30 I'll have figured out what the heck I'm doing. If not, there's always 40, right? hehehe

But anyway, back to Sis2, she's turning 28. It's difficult for me to think of her being 28. I still sometimes think of us as the kiddos who romped around like crazies dancing to the Flashdance soundtrack in our hand-me-down legwarmers and headbands. (Yeah, our mom let us watch Flashdance...the TV version. hehehe)

Okay, I've blathered on till I can't blather on anymore. I've given myself a headache. :-( Hope I haven't done the same to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today