Gripefest 2005

Okay, if you don't want to listen to me gripe, vent, whine and complain stop reading now. I promised myself I wouldn't use my blog to whine but here I am. I don't want sympathy. I don't want a pat on the head. I just want five minutes to get all my grievances out. And yes, I'll take some cheese with my whine. ;-)

I feel like crap. My throat hurts. My head feels fuzzy. I feel like there is a fine mist all over my body and my nose runs at the most inconvenient times. I'm coughing and just generally feel like crap. I dragged my butt into work though because I have too much to do not to and we're shorthanded because of folks stranded without water and electricity. Yeah, okay...ONE person has managed to use that as an excuse for the past two days despite the fact that there are plenty of places around town that are offering use of showers and such and at least one other person who is without electricity has managed to come in both yesterday and today but I digress. The other person that's out is stuck in Mobile, AL. I am completely sympathetic to her because...well, I'm sypathetic to everyone who was affected by that nasty witch Katrina. (I never liked that name. My arch-rival in elementary and high school shares that name. Yeah, I had an arch-rival in elementary and high school. Maybe someday I'll tell ya about her. Blech!) If I were in a better mood I'd be more sympathetic to the one without electricity and water but I feel like death warmed over so I'm finding it difficult to be toooo sympathetic.

The list continues with a trip to the dentist. Yeah, feeling like crap I still am determined to go to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned because A.) I've already had to reschedule it once before and that knocked me back by a month and B.) If I reschedule it again it'll get pushed back possibly another month and then my insurance won't pay for it due to some stupid six month rule or some nonsense and since $30 a month is taken out of my paycheck I'm sure as shoot going to milk every bit outta my insurance as I can. I just hope I don't have a coughing fit while she's scraping the tartar. Ack!

And the next grievance is, I'm so booked at work that I can't find the time to run home to meet the air conditioner repairman...well, that and the fact that the dude hasn't yet returned my call. So far the temps are low enough that I'm making it without being miserable with the windows open and fans going but I want my A/C back, dangit! But more than that, I want this crazy schdule to go away so I don't have to schedule bathroom breaks. Grrrr...

Which brings me to my next grievance...my schedule this week. Hurricane emergency aside, this has just been the craziest week. I'm on a search committee and we've been doing interviews this week. We had two yesterday and have one later today which knocks me out of meeting the air repairman this afternoon. The other thing that knocks me out is my regularly scheduled duties that would be too much a pain in someone else's arse to ask to be let out of. Of course, I'm probably being too nice because you can bet your sweet patootie that if it were someone else in my position they wouldn't hesitate to ask ME to take over for them. It really sucks to be a nice person sometimes. Or maybe that's me being a doormat again. Or maybe I just need to learn how to ask for help. But then I owe people stuff and it gets ugly and, well, I won't go there.

And to top it all off, there's all the crazies who drained the gas pumps dry out of pure stupidity, selfishness and greed. Yeah, there are rumors flying all over the south (reaching as far as South Carolina as far as I know) that there is a major gas shortage and gas stations won't be getting more gas for several weeks. I'm sure there are several places where that's true--places with massive power outtages and such but for the most part it's a big fat lie most likely started by some moron who heard a kernal of truth from one of these towns without electricity and blew it waaaaay out of perportion and then everyone in their greed to make sure that THEY had plenty of gas rushed out to pumps, filled every car they own and then started filling cans and barrels of gas draining nearly every gas pump in town leaving those of us who had the good sense and common decency not to join the mob scene without the option of getting the bare neccesity of gas. Of course then the prices rose to unheard of numbers and now any travel plans my sisters had of coming to see me and my folks this weekend evaporated. How do I know the gas scare is a lie? I watched the news for once, people! Duh! Never believe a rumor like that without checking it out first.

And right now, in this moment, I'm in general just fed up with the world. With everything that's going on in New Orleans and on the coast...the crazies, the looters and all that crap not to mention just the pure devastation I'm just extremely tired, disappointed, sad, angry and mentally exhausted. I want nothing more than to crawl under the covers and hide out for a long while. But, life does go on...for some quicker than others and it's hard to understand and appreciate how easy it is for some to just cluck their tounges and say "how terrible" and then go about their business as though nothing happened when for me and many many many others who have been to these places, met some of the people directly affected by it, it just breaks my heart. Almost imobilizes me. But then I read the crap I just wrote with my petty complaints and I realize that yeah, life does go on for all of us and I'm thankful that my petty grievances are ALL I have to be concerned about.

Guess that concludes Gripefest 2005. Hey, I'm sure I'll have more soon so if you enjoy the misery don't be too disappointed. ;-)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey there, missy! :) I understand needing to vent. That's what blogs are made for. LOL! I hope you feel better soon, that life calms down, and that you're able to sit back and enjoy yourself for at least a little bit. I'm here! You can always talk to me if need be. Hope your day gets better.


Kaitlin
Heather said…
Hey, we all need to vent from time to time. Hope you're feeling better soon, Jana!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today