Hitting the Snooze Button

Why is it that the very best moments of sleep fall somewhere in those 9 minutes in between hits of the snooze button? Or is it just me that encounters this phenomenon?

I toss and turn all night long sleeping the same way I write...in fits and spurts and then suddenly the alarm goes off at 6am, I hit the snooze and before I know it I've had the deepest 9 minutes of sleep of my life...until the alarm goes off again and then the process repeats itself at least twice until finally in utter frustration I roll out of bed, eyes heavy, and stumble to the shower.

So why does deep sleep wait until it knows it can't last?

I went to bed last night sometime after ten, dreamed lustily about the vampire I had just been reading about in the Maggie Shayne novel "Born in Twilight" and proceeded to toss and turn until sometime after midnight when I finally drifted off. By 4 am I was wide awake again. This time plagued by worries and thoughts about all the commitments I had scheduled for today. This kept me tossing and turning, sighing and cussing until...you guessed it. 6 am when the alarm went off.

Now I'm sitting here typing and feeling the need to go in search of toothpicks to keep my eyes open. This is not a good thing when the first 2 hours of your day are spent in public service. Granted, there isn't any public currently here to serve but imagine my frustration if there were.

Yeah, so I'm rambling today. Chalk it up to lack of sleep. Bet you thought I was going somewhere with this, didn't you? Some profound realization about the link between my obsession with the snooze button and my delayed marrital status or my lack of finished manuscripts or something. Admit it, you did, didn't you? No such luck. Maybe it'll hit me around 4am tomorrow morning. hehehe

Comments

Heather said…
If you find the answer, please let me know. I've been known to sleep so soundly after hitting the snooze button that I don't hear it go off a second or third time. Which invariably results in waking 15-20 miuntes before I should be walking out the door.
April said…
oh lordy that kind of sleep is almost orgasmic!!!! LOL

And have you ever been so INTO your sleep and dream that you think the alarm is something in your dream like a phone or a door? I do that ALL the time.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today