Me and Chicken Little
"The sky if falling! The sky is falling!"
This urgent message keeps crying in my mind each time I look at the news or hear what's going on in the world. Just call me Chicken Little, but I have this sort of doomsday feeling in my gut. With everything that's gone on this year with natural and man-made disasters I can't seem to help feeling this way. War, famine, terrorism and mass devastation tends to bring out the darker part of me.
I look around in my immediate life and think, "Huh, things are actually going well right now. No family tragedies. No personal grief. All is well with the world." And then I turn on the television and I don't care how fast I flip through the channels I can't escape it. Hurricanes, war, soaring gas prices, death and destruction. Just this morning my CNN Breaking News alert popped up with the cruel message that 20 people had died when a bus carrying evacuees in Texas caught fire. And of course there are the masses of people stuck on the side of the highway while Rita is knocking on the door.
I don't think my heart can take much more of this. It hurts too much to see all these people suffering, worrying and panicking. I don't know that our country can take much more battering. Between Katrina, Iraq and now Rita, we're suffering more than we have in a long while. 2005 is just kicking the world's butt. Tsunami's in the eastern part of the world. Terrorist bombings in London. A massively destructive hurricane in America with the very real and strong threat of another on its heels. The war in Iraq and Afghanistan. (Don't get me wrong, I know in my heart that the war itself is a necessary evil...it's just so tragic to hear of the many senseless deaths.) And then you have all the "everyday" evil--children being kidnapped, abused and murdered; domestic violence; drug abuse; murder; kids bringing guns to school--the list could go on an on and on for days.
I just feel like shouting "The end is near! Repent now all ye sinners!" because, yeah, it feels like the earth is standing on the edge of a cliff getting ready to jump. Maybe I've read too many of the Left Behind books or spent too much time worrying about Revelations and I take stuff much too literally and seriously. But some days it feels as though I'm wasting my time worrying about the future because we're standing at the end of it.
From the time I was a child, I always knew that the world wouldn't last forever and I used to wonder if it would end in my lifetime. Do I believe that global warming or some such scientific phenomenon will do us in? Nope. I believe in the age old hellfire and brimstone prophecy. Jesus will come back and take his children home and the prophecy of Revelation will come to pass. Do I think that we're in the end days? Possibly. No one knows for certain, though, except for God Himself.
Sorry if all my doomsday talk depresses you or upsets you. If your name is in the Book of Life though, you really needn't worry or get depressed. Whatever this earth has to offer pales in comparison to what is in store for us once we're called to Glory and I can't be sorry for that.
This urgent message keeps crying in my mind each time I look at the news or hear what's going on in the world. Just call me Chicken Little, but I have this sort of doomsday feeling in my gut. With everything that's gone on this year with natural and man-made disasters I can't seem to help feeling this way. War, famine, terrorism and mass devastation tends to bring out the darker part of me.
I look around in my immediate life and think, "Huh, things are actually going well right now. No family tragedies. No personal grief. All is well with the world." And then I turn on the television and I don't care how fast I flip through the channels I can't escape it. Hurricanes, war, soaring gas prices, death and destruction. Just this morning my CNN Breaking News alert popped up with the cruel message that 20 people had died when a bus carrying evacuees in Texas caught fire. And of course there are the masses of people stuck on the side of the highway while Rita is knocking on the door.
I don't think my heart can take much more of this. It hurts too much to see all these people suffering, worrying and panicking. I don't know that our country can take much more battering. Between Katrina, Iraq and now Rita, we're suffering more than we have in a long while. 2005 is just kicking the world's butt. Tsunami's in the eastern part of the world. Terrorist bombings in London. A massively destructive hurricane in America with the very real and strong threat of another on its heels. The war in Iraq and Afghanistan. (Don't get me wrong, I know in my heart that the war itself is a necessary evil...it's just so tragic to hear of the many senseless deaths.) And then you have all the "everyday" evil--children being kidnapped, abused and murdered; domestic violence; drug abuse; murder; kids bringing guns to school--the list could go on an on and on for days.
I just feel like shouting "The end is near! Repent now all ye sinners!" because, yeah, it feels like the earth is standing on the edge of a cliff getting ready to jump. Maybe I've read too many of the Left Behind books or spent too much time worrying about Revelations and I take stuff much too literally and seriously. But some days it feels as though I'm wasting my time worrying about the future because we're standing at the end of it.
From the time I was a child, I always knew that the world wouldn't last forever and I used to wonder if it would end in my lifetime. Do I believe that global warming or some such scientific phenomenon will do us in? Nope. I believe in the age old hellfire and brimstone prophecy. Jesus will come back and take his children home and the prophecy of Revelation will come to pass. Do I think that we're in the end days? Possibly. No one knows for certain, though, except for God Himself.
Sorry if all my doomsday talk depresses you or upsets you. If your name is in the Book of Life though, you really needn't worry or get depressed. Whatever this earth has to offer pales in comparison to what is in store for us once we're called to Glory and I can't be sorry for that.
Comments