Squirrels, Sisterhood and Songs

Okay, so what do those three things have in common? Nothing really besides the fact that at least two of the subjects are driving me nuts.

Squirrels. Well, cute, fuzzy, playful little creatures. Besides the whole cross/don't cross the street routine that causes many a car to swerve, they are normally one of my favorite creatures to watch. They're cute and have the best sense of play that I think I've ever seen in an animal. I sit on my front porch many times and watch them chase each other up one side of a tree and down anothers, hopping and flying all over the place. Sometimes I swear I can almost hear one or the other of them yelling "Tag! You're it!" before racing off to another tree. The first time I heard one of them scamper across the tin roof of my house, I nearly fell out of my chair. To weigh so little they sure make a lot of racket.

But, my days of feeling friendly are over. One has invaded my house. No, I don't have a furry half crazed squirrel running amok inside, but one has figured out how to squirm his way in and out of the tiny little crawl space between my ceiling and roof. Yep folks. I can hear the annoying sounds of a squirrel INSIDE MY HOUSE. I saw the little critter when he crawled in yesterday. I was opening my kitchen window when I heard a fairly loud scratching just outside it. So I pressed my face to the glass and saw it hang from the edge of my roof by it's back feet and swing itself until it got a grip on the edge beneath with it's front claws and disappear and I heard it thumping on the ceiling. So I grabbed a pair of shorts and some flip flops and ran outside to inspect and sure enough there is an opening about an inch and a half wide where the dining room (an addition my landlord built himself before I moved in) is attached to the main part of the house. Thankfully this means that the critter is limited to the ceiling over the dining room meaning I won't have to listen to him scamper above me at night but...Grrr...it's embarrassing! I'm shacking up with a squirrel! ROFL My only consolation is...At least it isn't a mouse/rat/other unsightly ugly rodent. My dilemma now though is...Tell the landlord? Don't tell the landlord? He's been a little miffed with me lately cuz I've called him about quite a few things lately that he would just really rather pretend don't need fixing. I'm afeard that if I call him about a squirrel in the ceiling that he might decide to raise my rent. :-/

In other news, my sisters are terrible. Okay, so they are both married and live an hour to an hour and a half away from me in opposite directions, me being the middle girl where both sisters and parents meet and greet. Well, Sis2 is getting upset with Sis1 because she never wants to visit her and Sis1 is all snarky cuz she says it's too much gas for her to drive an extra hour when Sis2 could come to my house. And you know, I can see both points. Sis1 has only ever been to Sis2's house once and that was before Sis2 and her dh got married and yeah, gas is a little too expensive to be making a bunch of long trips. BUT, I can also see where Sis1, at least, is a little unfair. You can bet your sweet patootie that if there was some sort of flea market or something that Sis1 REALLY wanted to go to an hour further away, she'd go and not even bat an eye at the gas prices. She's come up here and then gone on to Tupelo for the flea market and Tupelo is over an hour from my house. And she DID tell Sis2 that she and Emmy would go and spend a night with them one night this weekend and now she's gone back on it. But guess what...she wants ME to call Sis2 and tell her that they aren't coming. It's called passing the buck, people and I don't like it. Not one iota. *sigh* You know, I'm the BABY of the three of us. I'm not supposed to be the middle girl. That's always been Sis2's job. Now I understand why she always hated being in the middle. Needless to say, I haven't yet called Sis2. I think I may e-mail her instead. I'm just as terrible as they are.

Now, as for songs. Well, I'm just grooving lately. lol Funny how a song can evoke a particular feeling or memory. There's this one song on Sara Evans' Restless CD that always reminds me of fall. It's called Otis Redding or something like that. It's a sort of easy, relaxed, mellow song. The lyrics go something like:

Otis Redding makes me feel good,
dancing in the kitchen barefoot,
all the windows up,
just can't get enough.

That's just a little snippet of it, but for some reason it just always makes me feel like fall. lol I guess it's the easy pace of it, the image of having the windows up and being barefoot in the kitchen that reminds me of fall. Fall is about the only time I ever keep the windows up unless it's particularly cool in the spring...but of course, I'm always barefoot. Or maybe it's because the first time I heard it was in the fall and I had the windows up. Who knows.

I've been playing the heck out of that song for the past few days and nothing else seems to satisfy me. I tried playing some Martina McBride last night but got really antsy and restless until finally I flipped it over to Sara Evans and played that song a couple of times and I was happy and able to enjoy other songs. I'm a weird dish, I know.


Anyway, I guess there wasn't any real point to this post other than to just chatter about nothing. Hope it hasn't put anyone to sleep. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today