Weekend Review
Oy! I could use a nap or a major jolt of caffein right now. Aren't weekends supposed to be for resting? lol
Nah, I had a blast. Here's the rundown:
Friday, the day we all look forward to with glee. The last day of the week and the beginning of the weekend. Well, this Friday was just...blech! September had to wring out the very last drop of crap that it could just to make sure I didn't forget what a bitch it was/is. Okay, remember the self-healing plumbing. Wasn't so self-healing after all. What it was is a big pain in my backside. It started acting up again last week but again, I put off having it worked on earlier in the week leaving me Friday getting it fixed. I had promised Sis1 that I'd have it fixed by the time she got here Friday evening.
Well, I called my landlord who gave me a beleagered go ahead. (I think he thinks I sabatoge the dang thing just to bug him. lol) then called the RotoRooter folks and talked to a woman. Now, being a woman I don't generally assign other women the name "dumb woman don't know what she's talkin' 'bout." This woman though...grrrr... Normally I don't have any problems with them/her. I call, plead my case, they tell me when to be home and I wait and wait and then wait some more and they finally come and fix it. Usually late in the afternoon. So, knowing this, I made arrangements to leave work at 2 Friday to go home and wait. I tell the woman this and she insists...INSISTS, mind you, that she can't send anyone that late on the offchance that someone in Columbus might need their services and that she was going to send someone that morning. I ask her what time I needed to be there so I can ask off work. She tells me, "Oh, you don't have to be there. We prefer it but you don't have to so don't worry about it." I hang up, happy that I don't have to bug my supevisor to leave earlier than planned and go about my merry way.
So, I get home around 2:30 Friday. I'm feeling good. It's payday and I've been to the bank. I have 20 bucks in my pocket and 2.5 hours to clean the house before Sis1 gets there. I run into the bathroom to test it out and horrors...IT ISN'T FIXED!!! So, my bloodpressure spiking, I pick up the phone and call RotoRooter again. This time a MAN answers the phone. I explain the problem to him and he's all like, "Well it's likely that the septic line drained but if you didn't flush the toilet after, it's likely still clogged beneath the house. That's why we need for someone to be at home when we do this." I tell him, "Well I was told I didn't have to be there!" I think I may have said that a little snottily even. He says the one guy they have working is on a job right now but IF he gets finished early enough he'll send him...WTH!!
Sis1 pulls in the drive at 5 and still no dude has come to fix the dang thing so I sadly explain to her how we're going to have to swim out of the bathroom this weekend. She's disgusted at the thought of "roughing it" and I'm embarrassed and upset. As I'm fixing supper, though, dude calls me and says he's on his way. Mass celebrating ensued. Took him an hour to fix it (should only take 10 minutes) but we flushed and showered all weekend without swimming! But shame on that woman for lying to me. I may never forgive her! lol
Bright side? The dude was hot. hehehehe
So Saturday...hmmm...Saturday. Blessedly beautiful Saturday. Me and Scarlett, the dog, have slept soundly all night long and we get up and make coffee and cinnemon rolls. It's 7:30. My morning quiet time. Not! Sis1 hears me making coffee so she gets up and follows me around the kitchen talking. I don't talk it the morning. I bare my teeth and if I'm really not awake I growl. lol But I played nice...until she started calling everyone she's ever met and then starts ANSWERING my phone...went so far as to tell me not to answer as it was likely for her. Grrrr... I'm sorry, does she live here? Pay my phone bill? Pay rent here? Um, that would a NO. So anyway, to keep from hissing and spitting I go do my ironing...and Sis1's. I offered so I'm not mad. But then, the phone rings AGAIN and it's...what's that? It's for...for me?? Me who lives here? lol It's DQ with an update on her mom who came home from the hospital Saturday. I'm ironing and trying to listen and talk and Sis1 is standing there watching me. I can't stand to be watched while I'm talking on the phone. It unnerves me. Especially since the call had nothing to do with Sis1. Sis1 and DQ aren't even friends. I doubt Sis1 even knows DQ's last name! So why is she watching me talk on the phone? Grrrr...
Thankfully Sis1 goes to meet her dh at his dad's house and is gone for the rest of the day. I love her but really, don't crowd my space. Don't chatter first thing in the morning and never EVER take over my house. She knows better. I forgive her though because it has been nearly two months since she's stayed at my house with me. She must've forgotten the unwritten rules of staying at my place. ;)
By that night, I'm rested, relaxed and ready to roll. We went out and I treated us to pizza and wings at Pizza Hut. Yum-O! I hadn't had Pizza Hut in soooooo long. I gorged myself. Four slices and five wings. Bad Jana. Very bad. Made up for it by not getting my usual pretzel at the movies. hehehehehe We went to see Just Like Heaven and let me tell you...that is one of the best movies I've seen in a long while. I must admit that the last several times I've been to see a movie I've walked out with lukewarm feelings about it. Seemed to me that movies were becoming mediocre. This one wasn't. It was fabulous. Funny. Romantic. Sad. Happy. Just a myriad of emotions. To me, if a movie can inspire something more than the the odd chuckle or a brief shocker, it's a goodie. :)
After the movie was when things really got interesting. Went to Wal-Mart (no this isn't the interesting part) and loaded up the cart with chocolate and Pina Colada mix then went home and slurped down a pitcher and snarfed several Kit Kats and Twixes. Not my proudest moment but it was goooooood. And fun. Little did we know that while were gone though, that I had aquired a roommate. As we were watching Trading Spaces, we started hearing this thump thump thump. Odd little sound. I was convinced it was a helicopter over head. Sis1 thought it was one of the ceiling fans. We both started to think we were going crazy. BIL finally made it home and he deduced that it was, in fact, a squirl or some other form of wildlife that has gotten between my roof and ceiling. (I don't have an attic.) Sure enough, while I was sitting out on the porch Sunday morning, I could hear it padding around on the insulation. You see, a while back, one of the ceiling tiles on my screened in porch fell exposing the insulation and my landlord never came to fix it. *sigh* I'm just hoping two things. A.) It isn't a rat or mouse that will chew through the ceiling and come into the house and B) that whatever it is doesn't get up in there and die. If either of these things happen I'm soooooo outta there even if it means I have to move home with the folks. *shudder*
So Sunday. Sunday was a day of mixed emotions. You see, Sunday was Sis2's 28th birthday. We had all made plans to meet at our folks' house and go to our old childhood church together and then go back to the folks' house for Sis2's b-day lunch. My mom really wanted us all to be there for church and we really wanted to spend as much time with Sis2 as possible because we never get to see her anymore.
Well, she and her hubby had gone out the night before to celebrate her b-day together and lo and behold he woke up Sunday morning to with a tummy ache. Now, normally, I don't begrudge anyone with a tummy ache because I know how horrible they are. BUT...this is the usual MO for him. Anytime there's something he doesn't want to do, he gets a convenient tummy ache. So Sis2 calls Sunday morning. She's not coming to church but she'll try to make it for lunch. WTH?? TRY to make it for lunch? It's HER STINKING BIRTHDAY LUNCH! We went to the trouble FOR HER! and she'll try.
Church was...okay alright. I'm not crazy about the preacher there because even though he knows the rest of my family by name he has never called ME by name, made eye contact or so much as acknowledged or remembered my existence in the however many years and times we've visited that church. For some reason I'm invisible to the man. Well, yesterday we made progress. He made eye contact with me when he shook my hand. Wait a minute while I celebrate. lol The best part of the whole experience visiting was that I got to see some folks I hadn't seen since I was a young pre-teen. Folks who hadn't been there the previous times I visited. One lady, an elderly lady who I used to go and visit some when I was a kid told me that out of all my sisters I had grown up to be the prettiest one. hehehehehehe Made my day! I actually got told like 2.5 times that I was pretty. And one dude offered to let me sit in is his lap! lol (Don't freak out. It's a running joke from my childhood. Once, when I was about four, I crawled up in his lap at some church function and fell asleep and his wife took a picture. From that moment on, he always referred to me as "sweet thing" and joked with me about sitting on his lap.)
Almost an hour after she was supposed to be there, Sis2 did actually show up for her own birthday lunch...her hubby too. He still wasn't feeling better though so he stayed in the living room watching football all afternoon while the rest of us were outside eating and laughing and having fun. He only joined the party long enough for Sis2 to open her gifts. If he truly did feel bad, Lord forgive me. But...he's such a party pooper! He may as well have stayed home and I'll tell you this...he isn't winning any points with any of the family by being so anti-social. Even my grandparents have commented on how they think he doesn't like them...and there's no way you CAN'T like my grandparents...they're the sweetest folks I know. (Even if Pa-paw did steal my tea while I was fixing my plate...the thief. lol)
Had some awesome news around 3 o'clock though. My cousin and his wife finally had their baby...a little boy! He weighed 7lbs and something. Both he and his mama are healthy and fine. She went to the hospital late Saturday afternoon and ended up having a c-section late yesterday. They said she just wasn't progressing the way she should be and they didn't want to risk the baby. I'm hoping to get up there to see them sometime soon but I may wait until they get home so that she can recover a little bit. I know I wouldn't feel like a lot of company after all that.
So that, in a not-so-nutshell, was my weekend. I think I should've sold tickets...especially to the thumping squirl in the ceiling fiasco. lol!
Nah, I had a blast. Here's the rundown:
Friday, the day we all look forward to with glee. The last day of the week and the beginning of the weekend. Well, this Friday was just...blech! September had to wring out the very last drop of crap that it could just to make sure I didn't forget what a bitch it was/is. Okay, remember the self-healing plumbing. Wasn't so self-healing after all. What it was is a big pain in my backside. It started acting up again last week but again, I put off having it worked on earlier in the week leaving me Friday getting it fixed. I had promised Sis1 that I'd have it fixed by the time she got here Friday evening.
Well, I called my landlord who gave me a beleagered go ahead. (I think he thinks I sabatoge the dang thing just to bug him. lol) then called the RotoRooter folks and talked to a woman. Now, being a woman I don't generally assign other women the name "dumb woman don't know what she's talkin' 'bout." This woman though...grrrr... Normally I don't have any problems with them/her. I call, plead my case, they tell me when to be home and I wait and wait and then wait some more and they finally come and fix it. Usually late in the afternoon. So, knowing this, I made arrangements to leave work at 2 Friday to go home and wait. I tell the woman this and she insists...INSISTS, mind you, that she can't send anyone that late on the offchance that someone in Columbus might need their services and that she was going to send someone that morning. I ask her what time I needed to be there so I can ask off work. She tells me, "Oh, you don't have to be there. We prefer it but you don't have to so don't worry about it." I hang up, happy that I don't have to bug my supevisor to leave earlier than planned and go about my merry way.
So, I get home around 2:30 Friday. I'm feeling good. It's payday and I've been to the bank. I have 20 bucks in my pocket and 2.5 hours to clean the house before Sis1 gets there. I run into the bathroom to test it out and horrors...IT ISN'T FIXED!!! So, my bloodpressure spiking, I pick up the phone and call RotoRooter again. This time a MAN answers the phone. I explain the problem to him and he's all like, "Well it's likely that the septic line drained but if you didn't flush the toilet after, it's likely still clogged beneath the house. That's why we need for someone to be at home when we do this." I tell him, "Well I was told I didn't have to be there!" I think I may have said that a little snottily even. He says the one guy they have working is on a job right now but IF he gets finished early enough he'll send him...WTH!!
Sis1 pulls in the drive at 5 and still no dude has come to fix the dang thing so I sadly explain to her how we're going to have to swim out of the bathroom this weekend. She's disgusted at the thought of "roughing it" and I'm embarrassed and upset. As I'm fixing supper, though, dude calls me and says he's on his way. Mass celebrating ensued. Took him an hour to fix it (should only take 10 minutes) but we flushed and showered all weekend without swimming! But shame on that woman for lying to me. I may never forgive her! lol
Bright side? The dude was hot. hehehehe
So Saturday...hmmm...Saturday. Blessedly beautiful Saturday. Me and Scarlett, the dog, have slept soundly all night long and we get up and make coffee and cinnemon rolls. It's 7:30. My morning quiet time. Not! Sis1 hears me making coffee so she gets up and follows me around the kitchen talking. I don't talk it the morning. I bare my teeth and if I'm really not awake I growl. lol But I played nice...until she started calling everyone she's ever met and then starts ANSWERING my phone...went so far as to tell me not to answer as it was likely for her. Grrrr... I'm sorry, does she live here? Pay my phone bill? Pay rent here? Um, that would a NO. So anyway, to keep from hissing and spitting I go do my ironing...and Sis1's. I offered so I'm not mad. But then, the phone rings AGAIN and it's...what's that? It's for...for me?? Me who lives here? lol It's DQ with an update on her mom who came home from the hospital Saturday. I'm ironing and trying to listen and talk and Sis1 is standing there watching me. I can't stand to be watched while I'm talking on the phone. It unnerves me. Especially since the call had nothing to do with Sis1. Sis1 and DQ aren't even friends. I doubt Sis1 even knows DQ's last name! So why is she watching me talk on the phone? Grrrr...
Thankfully Sis1 goes to meet her dh at his dad's house and is gone for the rest of the day. I love her but really, don't crowd my space. Don't chatter first thing in the morning and never EVER take over my house. She knows better. I forgive her though because it has been nearly two months since she's stayed at my house with me. She must've forgotten the unwritten rules of staying at my place. ;)
By that night, I'm rested, relaxed and ready to roll. We went out and I treated us to pizza and wings at Pizza Hut. Yum-O! I hadn't had Pizza Hut in soooooo long. I gorged myself. Four slices and five wings. Bad Jana. Very bad. Made up for it by not getting my usual pretzel at the movies. hehehehehe We went to see Just Like Heaven and let me tell you...that is one of the best movies I've seen in a long while. I must admit that the last several times I've been to see a movie I've walked out with lukewarm feelings about it. Seemed to me that movies were becoming mediocre. This one wasn't. It was fabulous. Funny. Romantic. Sad. Happy. Just a myriad of emotions. To me, if a movie can inspire something more than the the odd chuckle or a brief shocker, it's a goodie. :)
After the movie was when things really got interesting. Went to Wal-Mart (no this isn't the interesting part) and loaded up the cart with chocolate and Pina Colada mix then went home and slurped down a pitcher and snarfed several Kit Kats and Twixes. Not my proudest moment but it was goooooood. And fun. Little did we know that while were gone though, that I had aquired a roommate. As we were watching Trading Spaces, we started hearing this thump thump thump. Odd little sound. I was convinced it was a helicopter over head. Sis1 thought it was one of the ceiling fans. We both started to think we were going crazy. BIL finally made it home and he deduced that it was, in fact, a squirl or some other form of wildlife that has gotten between my roof and ceiling. (I don't have an attic.) Sure enough, while I was sitting out on the porch Sunday morning, I could hear it padding around on the insulation. You see, a while back, one of the ceiling tiles on my screened in porch fell exposing the insulation and my landlord never came to fix it. *sigh* I'm just hoping two things. A.) It isn't a rat or mouse that will chew through the ceiling and come into the house and B) that whatever it is doesn't get up in there and die. If either of these things happen I'm soooooo outta there even if it means I have to move home with the folks. *shudder*
So Sunday. Sunday was a day of mixed emotions. You see, Sunday was Sis2's 28th birthday. We had all made plans to meet at our folks' house and go to our old childhood church together and then go back to the folks' house for Sis2's b-day lunch. My mom really wanted us all to be there for church and we really wanted to spend as much time with Sis2 as possible because we never get to see her anymore.
Well, she and her hubby had gone out the night before to celebrate her b-day together and lo and behold he woke up Sunday morning to with a tummy ache. Now, normally, I don't begrudge anyone with a tummy ache because I know how horrible they are. BUT...this is the usual MO for him. Anytime there's something he doesn't want to do, he gets a convenient tummy ache. So Sis2 calls Sunday morning. She's not coming to church but she'll try to make it for lunch. WTH?? TRY to make it for lunch? It's HER STINKING BIRTHDAY LUNCH! We went to the trouble FOR HER! and she'll try.
Church was...okay alright. I'm not crazy about the preacher there because even though he knows the rest of my family by name he has never called ME by name, made eye contact or so much as acknowledged or remembered my existence in the however many years and times we've visited that church. For some reason I'm invisible to the man. Well, yesterday we made progress. He made eye contact with me when he shook my hand. Wait a minute while I celebrate. lol The best part of the whole experience visiting was that I got to see some folks I hadn't seen since I was a young pre-teen. Folks who hadn't been there the previous times I visited. One lady, an elderly lady who I used to go and visit some when I was a kid told me that out of all my sisters I had grown up to be the prettiest one. hehehehehehe Made my day! I actually got told like 2.5 times that I was pretty. And one dude offered to let me sit in is his lap! lol (Don't freak out. It's a running joke from my childhood. Once, when I was about four, I crawled up in his lap at some church function and fell asleep and his wife took a picture. From that moment on, he always referred to me as "sweet thing" and joked with me about sitting on his lap.)
Almost an hour after she was supposed to be there, Sis2 did actually show up for her own birthday lunch...her hubby too. He still wasn't feeling better though so he stayed in the living room watching football all afternoon while the rest of us were outside eating and laughing and having fun. He only joined the party long enough for Sis2 to open her gifts. If he truly did feel bad, Lord forgive me. But...he's such a party pooper! He may as well have stayed home and I'll tell you this...he isn't winning any points with any of the family by being so anti-social. Even my grandparents have commented on how they think he doesn't like them...and there's no way you CAN'T like my grandparents...they're the sweetest folks I know. (Even if Pa-paw did steal my tea while I was fixing my plate...the thief. lol)
Had some awesome news around 3 o'clock though. My cousin and his wife finally had their baby...a little boy! He weighed 7lbs and something. Both he and his mama are healthy and fine. She went to the hospital late Saturday afternoon and ended up having a c-section late yesterday. They said she just wasn't progressing the way she should be and they didn't want to risk the baby. I'm hoping to get up there to see them sometime soon but I may wait until they get home so that she can recover a little bit. I know I wouldn't feel like a lot of company after all that.
So that, in a not-so-nutshell, was my weekend. I think I should've sold tickets...especially to the thumping squirl in the ceiling fiasco. lol!
Comments