Eat to Live...Not Live to Eat
or "Why Didn't I Wear My Stretchy Pants?"
Also known as the weekend review. ;-)
So, Friday I skipped out on work and took a mental health day. Yeah, I'm still a mental case, but the extra day did some good. I rolled out of bed at 7:30 (oh the luxury) and proceeded to procrastinate doing my grocery shopping. My jammies were so nice and cozy and I just really was enjoying the luxury of an un-hurried mug of cocoa. Finally hauled my butt out the door sometime around 9:30ish or so. I loathe getting out and driving to town when I don't get paid to do so. Who am I kidding? I loathe getting out and driving to town when I DO get paid for it. lol Something about going to town on a day off though just seems like extra cruelty. But milk needed to be bought and Jana needed to be fed so off I went to the SuperWal-Mart on my day off.
Who in the heck are all these people shopping at 10am?? Don't these people have JOBS? Surely the retired folks and SAHM's don't make up THAT much of the population. And if you're unemployed why place yourself in temptation's path to spend money you don't have?
But I digress. I hate grocery shopping. There are so many good things to eat and it makes my heart (and tastebuds) ache when I have to bypass them and buy necessities. *sigh* Who needs soap and dish liquid anyway? Screw it and pass the Pringles, why doncha? It doesn't matter if I stink and the dishes don't get washed. I need junkfood, by darn!
Alas, it isn't meant to be though. That's one good thing about being poor. You can't buy (with frequency) all the junk food that your body doesn't need. That, if anything, might help me lose the weight I want to lose so badly. If you can't buy it, you won't eat it. Right? Well, barring your sabotaging friends don't ply you with tasty treats on a daily basis.
Shopping done, I headed home and proceeded to do laundry, wash dishes, vacuum, put my shoes away (most of 'em anyway) and then sprawled in the floor to work on a couple of pages I wanted to add to my scrapbook. This took me through Dr. Phil and Oprah. (Did I mention that daytime TV sucks, btw??)
Primetime TV, however, was pretty good. Watched Ghost Whisperer (Am I totally off my rocker to have been a little attracted to that tattooed ghost? Something about a man with tattoos just...*shiver*) then was pleased to see that Close to Home came on right after. It isn't a knock your socks off kind of show, but it has some compelling moments.
I pretty much went to bed after that. You know, if I weren't so comfortable with my being single and living alone I might be depressed by the fact that I went to bed at 9pm on a Friday night. I mean, most women my age are either wives/mothers or they have boyfriends and if not boyfriends they have friends they go out with on Friday nights. Me? I'm much more content with the boob tube, a book and an early bedtime.
Saturday morning dawned bright and early, hence the early bedtime the night before. My niece, Emmy turns 6 tomorrow and her mom had her birthday party Saturday. Sis2 and her dh were stopping to pick me up on their way through from the delta so I had to get up at 6:30...yes 6:30 on a Saturday morning. I shouldn't complain. Sis2 and BIL had to bet up at 5 to get to my house by 7. I served them breakfast when they got there and then we hit the road at 7:30 to get to Tuscaloosa.
That is a loooooong drive with nothing of interest to see and nothing to do. Luckily, Sis2 was in a talkative mood so we chatted most of the way. BIL was in a chatty mood too so that was cool. I only nearly barfed a couple of times when they started holding hands and making goo goo eyes at each other. This, I was informed, is a side effect of newlyweddom. It's sweet but blech! Not something I care to see that early in the morning. Well, unless it was me holding hands with a delicious hottie who was making goo goo eyes at ME! hehehehehe
I managed to keep from tossing my cookies though and we made it to Sis1's house without incident. My folks were already there when we got there and as we turned onto her street, Emmy came running, both hands waving and huge grin on her face, from where she and my mom and her other grandma had been walking down the other end of the street. My mom had to chatch her to keep her from running right in front of the truck, she was so excited.
I'll never get tired of having someone that glad to see me. :) (Well, she was mostly glad to see Sis2 but I got in on some of the hugging action so it was cool. lol) Once the hugs had all been passed around, I beelined for the kitchen and a cup of coffee and an orange glaze yeast roll. Yum-O. I inhaled three before I realized what I was doing. It was only when Sis2 looked at me like I had lost my mind that I realized I was hovering over the pan with one roll in my hand, one in my mouth and my eye on another. lol Thankfully, Emmy saved me from myself when she came tugging on my shirt telling me she had something to show me.
I innocently followed her outside and we started down the street. The little bugger was grinning for all she was worth and I thought for a second that I had been set up to do actual exercise to work off those rolls. But Emmy, a child after my own heart, had something a little more entertaining in mind. We were almost to the cul de sac when she spilled the beans and confessed that we were going to check out the hottie who was working on his roof without a shirt on. She had spotted him when she and her g-mas went walking earlier and just had to show me. She knew I'd be the only other person who could fully appreciate a half dressed man doing manual labor. *swoon* Much to our dismay though, he had moved around to the back of the house and we couldn't see him. I tell you, walking back was the pits. hehehehe
The rest of the afternoon was a blur of Strawberry Shortcake, family members, kids and food. Homemade pizza for lunch. Ice cream and snacks at the party. Snacks after the party. Snacks each time I passed the bowl. Snacks...well, you get the idea. ;-) I'm fairly certain Emmy had a great time at her party and Lord knows the kid racked up in money and prezzies. I think she got more money for this one birthday than I've gotten in the past three years!
She cried though when all the guests started leaving. She wasn't ready for it to end. It simply hadn't lasted long enough. She asked her mama if everyone was coming back for her real birthday and wouldn't be consoled that we wouldn't until Sis1 reminded her that they were going out for steak on her actual birthday. Then she was all smiles. Again. A kid after my own heart. lol
We left around 5ish I guess and mostly slept on the way back. It was dark, the truck was cozy and we were all chatted out. I think even BIL, who was driving, dozed off a couple of times. Thank the stars traffic wasn't all that bad. hehehe
Back in "my town" we met up with a friend and had supper at her house. Domino's pizza. Again with the food. I swear, Saturday was not a good day for one who needs to lose a few sizes. But, it was good and the company was even better. Finally got to meet my friend's kid's dog, Diggy. Actually the dog's name is Diggy Dog. That's what happens when a 6-year-old names the family pet. lol Cute little Jack Russell terrier though. Very active which suits a 6-year-old boy but would drive me nuts. ;-)
Got home around 8:30ish and passed out pretty much. Those long rides are really hard on the body especially when you're full to the gills and wearing unforgiving jeans.
Yesterday I played heathen and didn't go to church. It was raining and I was lazy. I needed to have gone though. Felt kind of guilty at not going. Instead, I sprawled back out on the floor and worked on another scrapbook. I got maybe 4 pages done. They aren't entirely to my liking but I got them started anyway. Wish I had the $$$ to buy some really cool stuff to add to it but...oh well.
The rest of the afternoon was spent in the arms of another good book I started. Her Mother's Shadow by Diane Chamberlain. It's a very different pace from what I've been reading but I like the change of pace and the different kind of story it tells. It isn't so much a romance as it is a relationship women's fiction story. Been a while since I read something of this nature. I'm looking forward to finishing it and finding out how they all end up.
Anyway, in between chapters, I watched Desperate Housewives which was really good last night. Well, it's almost always good but it had some really "omigosh" moments last night.
And that was my weekend. Anyone for coffee? ;-)
Also known as the weekend review. ;-)
So, Friday I skipped out on work and took a mental health day. Yeah, I'm still a mental case, but the extra day did some good. I rolled out of bed at 7:30 (oh the luxury) and proceeded to procrastinate doing my grocery shopping. My jammies were so nice and cozy and I just really was enjoying the luxury of an un-hurried mug of cocoa. Finally hauled my butt out the door sometime around 9:30ish or so. I loathe getting out and driving to town when I don't get paid to do so. Who am I kidding? I loathe getting out and driving to town when I DO get paid for it. lol Something about going to town on a day off though just seems like extra cruelty. But milk needed to be bought and Jana needed to be fed so off I went to the SuperWal-Mart on my day off.
Who in the heck are all these people shopping at 10am?? Don't these people have JOBS? Surely the retired folks and SAHM's don't make up THAT much of the population. And if you're unemployed why place yourself in temptation's path to spend money you don't have?
But I digress. I hate grocery shopping. There are so many good things to eat and it makes my heart (and tastebuds) ache when I have to bypass them and buy necessities. *sigh* Who needs soap and dish liquid anyway? Screw it and pass the Pringles, why doncha? It doesn't matter if I stink and the dishes don't get washed. I need junkfood, by darn!
Alas, it isn't meant to be though. That's one good thing about being poor. You can't buy (with frequency) all the junk food that your body doesn't need. That, if anything, might help me lose the weight I want to lose so badly. If you can't buy it, you won't eat it. Right? Well, barring your sabotaging friends don't ply you with tasty treats on a daily basis.
Shopping done, I headed home and proceeded to do laundry, wash dishes, vacuum, put my shoes away (most of 'em anyway) and then sprawled in the floor to work on a couple of pages I wanted to add to my scrapbook. This took me through Dr. Phil and Oprah. (Did I mention that daytime TV sucks, btw??)
Primetime TV, however, was pretty good. Watched Ghost Whisperer (Am I totally off my rocker to have been a little attracted to that tattooed ghost? Something about a man with tattoos just...*shiver*) then was pleased to see that Close to Home came on right after. It isn't a knock your socks off kind of show, but it has some compelling moments.
I pretty much went to bed after that. You know, if I weren't so comfortable with my being single and living alone I might be depressed by the fact that I went to bed at 9pm on a Friday night. I mean, most women my age are either wives/mothers or they have boyfriends and if not boyfriends they have friends they go out with on Friday nights. Me? I'm much more content with the boob tube, a book and an early bedtime.
Saturday morning dawned bright and early, hence the early bedtime the night before. My niece, Emmy turns 6 tomorrow and her mom had her birthday party Saturday. Sis2 and her dh were stopping to pick me up on their way through from the delta so I had to get up at 6:30...yes 6:30 on a Saturday morning. I shouldn't complain. Sis2 and BIL had to bet up at 5 to get to my house by 7. I served them breakfast when they got there and then we hit the road at 7:30 to get to Tuscaloosa.
That is a loooooong drive with nothing of interest to see and nothing to do. Luckily, Sis2 was in a talkative mood so we chatted most of the way. BIL was in a chatty mood too so that was cool. I only nearly barfed a couple of times when they started holding hands and making goo goo eyes at each other. This, I was informed, is a side effect of newlyweddom. It's sweet but blech! Not something I care to see that early in the morning. Well, unless it was me holding hands with a delicious hottie who was making goo goo eyes at ME! hehehehehe
I managed to keep from tossing my cookies though and we made it to Sis1's house without incident. My folks were already there when we got there and as we turned onto her street, Emmy came running, both hands waving and huge grin on her face, from where she and my mom and her other grandma had been walking down the other end of the street. My mom had to chatch her to keep her from running right in front of the truck, she was so excited.
I'll never get tired of having someone that glad to see me. :) (Well, she was mostly glad to see Sis2 but I got in on some of the hugging action so it was cool. lol) Once the hugs had all been passed around, I beelined for the kitchen and a cup of coffee and an orange glaze yeast roll. Yum-O. I inhaled three before I realized what I was doing. It was only when Sis2 looked at me like I had lost my mind that I realized I was hovering over the pan with one roll in my hand, one in my mouth and my eye on another. lol Thankfully, Emmy saved me from myself when she came tugging on my shirt telling me she had something to show me.
I innocently followed her outside and we started down the street. The little bugger was grinning for all she was worth and I thought for a second that I had been set up to do actual exercise to work off those rolls. But Emmy, a child after my own heart, had something a little more entertaining in mind. We were almost to the cul de sac when she spilled the beans and confessed that we were going to check out the hottie who was working on his roof without a shirt on. She had spotted him when she and her g-mas went walking earlier and just had to show me. She knew I'd be the only other person who could fully appreciate a half dressed man doing manual labor. *swoon* Much to our dismay though, he had moved around to the back of the house and we couldn't see him. I tell you, walking back was the pits. hehehehe
The rest of the afternoon was a blur of Strawberry Shortcake, family members, kids and food. Homemade pizza for lunch. Ice cream and snacks at the party. Snacks after the party. Snacks each time I passed the bowl. Snacks...well, you get the idea. ;-) I'm fairly certain Emmy had a great time at her party and Lord knows the kid racked up in money and prezzies. I think she got more money for this one birthday than I've gotten in the past three years!
She cried though when all the guests started leaving. She wasn't ready for it to end. It simply hadn't lasted long enough. She asked her mama if everyone was coming back for her real birthday and wouldn't be consoled that we wouldn't until Sis1 reminded her that they were going out for steak on her actual birthday. Then she was all smiles. Again. A kid after my own heart. lol
We left around 5ish I guess and mostly slept on the way back. It was dark, the truck was cozy and we were all chatted out. I think even BIL, who was driving, dozed off a couple of times. Thank the stars traffic wasn't all that bad. hehehe
Back in "my town" we met up with a friend and had supper at her house. Domino's pizza. Again with the food. I swear, Saturday was not a good day for one who needs to lose a few sizes. But, it was good and the company was even better. Finally got to meet my friend's kid's dog, Diggy. Actually the dog's name is Diggy Dog. That's what happens when a 6-year-old names the family pet. lol Cute little Jack Russell terrier though. Very active which suits a 6-year-old boy but would drive me nuts. ;-)
Got home around 8:30ish and passed out pretty much. Those long rides are really hard on the body especially when you're full to the gills and wearing unforgiving jeans.
Yesterday I played heathen and didn't go to church. It was raining and I was lazy. I needed to have gone though. Felt kind of guilty at not going. Instead, I sprawled back out on the floor and worked on another scrapbook. I got maybe 4 pages done. They aren't entirely to my liking but I got them started anyway. Wish I had the $$$ to buy some really cool stuff to add to it but...oh well.
The rest of the afternoon was spent in the arms of another good book I started. Her Mother's Shadow by Diane Chamberlain. It's a very different pace from what I've been reading but I like the change of pace and the different kind of story it tells. It isn't so much a romance as it is a relationship women's fiction story. Been a while since I read something of this nature. I'm looking forward to finishing it and finding out how they all end up.
Anyway, in between chapters, I watched Desperate Housewives which was really good last night. Well, it's almost always good but it had some really "omigosh" moments last night.
And that was my weekend. Anyone for coffee? ;-)
Comments