The Joys and Pains of Overeating Pt. 1
Or "Gosh, I hope nobody saw me spewing into the bushes."
There is something to be said for knowing your limits. I used to know mine. Since I became poor-er and stopped eating regular-sized meals my limits have shifted dramatically. No one bothered to tell me that, though. *rolls eyes and sighs* But I'll get to that in a minute.
So Thursday I slept in till about 7 or so. No biggie. All I had to prepare was an apple pie. The crust was one of those Pillsbury roll dough cheats so the longest part was peeling, coring and cutting the apples and then shoving it into the oven. Woulda gone a lot quicker if I'd actually read the instructions on everything the first time. Then I wouldn't have had to take the pie out of the oven and add butter, among other re-dos. lol But, it got baked to perfection and I got out to my folks' house in plenty of time though it was an hour later than I'd told them I'd be there.
Visited with Daddy a bit while Mama finished up her cooking. He was heading back out to the camphouse and eventually the woods so he wouldn't be making the trek with us to my mom's folks' house. In all my life this has been the tradition so it's cool.
From there the day got...err...interesting. lol We had the lunch at my mom's folks' house, right on time. I was good (or thought I was, anyway) and only had little dabs of a few things (broccoli and rice casserole, sweet potato casserole, dressing, turkey, a chicken strip and a roll) but I bombed on the dessert. I ate a slice of apple pie right after lunch and then a slice of coconut cream pie a couple hours later. In my defense, I had to eat the pies to sweeten my disposition because by then I was ready to toss some folks out on their ears. lol
My mom comes from a large loud family and it's a requirement that no matter how many of them are there they must argue about SOMETHING...it can be about anything--earwax even. lol This time it was about prayer vs. doctors/meds. Yeah...my family is weird. My mom is pro. doctor/meds. The woman is diabetic and has a painful muscle spasm problem in her neck so without meds and regular doctor visits she'd either be dead shortly or wish she was. The uncle and two aunts who were there insist that doctors and medication are of the devil and that the Lord would heal her if she prayed enough. Yeah, I'm all for prayer. I've seen it work and I know God performs miracles everyday. HOWEVER, He also gives us the good sense to go to the doctor when we are ill. It's why He gave the doctors the knowledge to heal. Duh! But anyway, this was the shouting match that occurred.
But, I did get to meet and snuggle with my newest baby cousin, Jacob. He's such a little sweetie. His mother is a little neurotic right now but I've been told first time mothers usually are. He's 7 weeks old now and just big enough to be a good armful. :-) I took lots and lots of pictures.
Then, I got the skeesed out by my aunt's husband. Blech! First of all, he's yucky anyway and I always shudder when I see him coming. Then he had to go and hug all over me because he said, "You're not married so I get to hug you all I want." Then when he was leaving to go hunting that afternoon he was making the rounds of hugs again. Did he stop at a hug this time? Noooooo! This time he KISSED ME! *gag, barf, blech* So it was on the cheek but it was wet and lasted a little too long for my comfort. Was I the only one he kissed? Yep. I had the unnerving need to peel the skin off my face after that. Dude just because I ain't married don't mean I won't kick your butt into the middle of next week! Grrrrr... Next year, I guess. hehehe
Thankfully, we bailed on that situation sometime around 4:30 or so and were at my other grandparents house by 5. Now, these are Daddy's folks. Entirely different sack of apples. This family rarely ever fights amongst itself at family gatherings. No. We wait until my Aunt's family leaves and then snark about them behind their backs. hehehe
Sis2 and her dh beat us there (they skipped my mom's family to go to BIL2s family) and my cousin's wife and daughter were there as well. When I walked in my cousin's wife saw me first and said, "Jana's here. It's about to liven up." hehehehe What can I say? I'm the life of the party 'round here. lol It did liven up but only because her hubby (my cousin) and two boys came in shortly after. Their boys, ages 10 and 8, are the roudiest couple of kids I know. They take after their daddy though, so they get it honest.
So everyone finally shows up (the men came in from hunting) and we line up for supper. Yes. Another meal. I really didn't think I was all that full from lunch and that was some four hours ago. So I filled a bowl of chicken and dumplings (no traditional turkey there...my g-parents are unique) and a plate of corn chips and sausage dip. Not a huge bowl or plate. Just a taste. Then I went for a spoonful of what my aunt calls "Fat Man's Pie" (I personal detest that name and chose instead to call it four layer dessert cuz it's got a layer of crust, layer of cream cheese, layer of choc. pudding and layer of whip cream) and a bite of millionaire pie. (fyi, millionaire pie should be called chunk of nasty awfulness cuz it wasn't good. Mostly a lemon pie with chunks of pineapple and caramel drizzled on top to fool you into thinking you're getting something good. Blech!)
Two bites away from finishing my "Fat Man's Pie" and my stomach begins to feel like it's moving on up to my throat. Seriously. One minute I'm fine and enjoying a tasty dessert and the next...not so much. So I gracefully waddled out of the dining room and dumped the remains of my plate into the garbage. One of my cousins is moaning about being too full all the while filling a bowl with banana pudding and I'm thinking now would be a good time to escape outside for some fresh air. My niece follows me out and we walk around the yard for a minute or two. I was certain that a little movement and some air would settle my stomach but the more I walked the sicker I felt. Emmy was so sweet too. She kept asking me was I alright and when I said I thought I was going to be sick, she be-lined for the house to go get me some Pepto cuz she was sure it would make me feel better. Mama came back with her just in time to see me blowing chunks all over the front yard. LOL Thankfully she ran back inside and got me a wet cloth and helped me get cleaned up and then stood around outside with me while I spewed in the bushes in case I passed out or something. You've got to love a mom who will stand on a front porch in the cool night air and listen to her grown daughter toss her cookies. lol
I felt infinitely better after I finished heaving but I was horribly embarrassed. Thankfully no one but Mama, Daddy, Emmy, and Sis2 knew that I'd actually been sick. Everyone else just thought we were outside talking. '-) I also think it's terribly unfair that I ate the same things and amounts that everyone else did but I couldn't hold it all. I'm a big girl. I'm supposed to be an empty pit, right. Dang acid reflux. >:( So I unbuttoned my jeans and went back inside to wash up and spent the rest of the evening on the back porch snarking with Sis2, her dh and Daddy. Oh and the wild boys picked me to bounce on and refused to believe that I might actually throw up on them. I almost wish I had just to teach them a lesson. hehehe
And that was my Thanksgiving. Hope yours was "funner." ;-)
There is something to be said for knowing your limits. I used to know mine. Since I became poor-er and stopped eating regular-sized meals my limits have shifted dramatically. No one bothered to tell me that, though. *rolls eyes and sighs* But I'll get to that in a minute.
So Thursday I slept in till about 7 or so. No biggie. All I had to prepare was an apple pie. The crust was one of those Pillsbury roll dough cheats so the longest part was peeling, coring and cutting the apples and then shoving it into the oven. Woulda gone a lot quicker if I'd actually read the instructions on everything the first time. Then I wouldn't have had to take the pie out of the oven and add butter, among other re-dos. lol But, it got baked to perfection and I got out to my folks' house in plenty of time though it was an hour later than I'd told them I'd be there.
Visited with Daddy a bit while Mama finished up her cooking. He was heading back out to the camphouse and eventually the woods so he wouldn't be making the trek with us to my mom's folks' house. In all my life this has been the tradition so it's cool.
From there the day got...err...interesting. lol We had the lunch at my mom's folks' house, right on time. I was good (or thought I was, anyway) and only had little dabs of a few things (broccoli and rice casserole, sweet potato casserole, dressing, turkey, a chicken strip and a roll) but I bombed on the dessert. I ate a slice of apple pie right after lunch and then a slice of coconut cream pie a couple hours later. In my defense, I had to eat the pies to sweeten my disposition because by then I was ready to toss some folks out on their ears. lol
My mom comes from a large loud family and it's a requirement that no matter how many of them are there they must argue about SOMETHING...it can be about anything--earwax even. lol This time it was about prayer vs. doctors/meds. Yeah...my family is weird. My mom is pro. doctor/meds. The woman is diabetic and has a painful muscle spasm problem in her neck so without meds and regular doctor visits she'd either be dead shortly or wish she was. The uncle and two aunts who were there insist that doctors and medication are of the devil and that the Lord would heal her if she prayed enough. Yeah, I'm all for prayer. I've seen it work and I know God performs miracles everyday. HOWEVER, He also gives us the good sense to go to the doctor when we are ill. It's why He gave the doctors the knowledge to heal. Duh! But anyway, this was the shouting match that occurred.
But, I did get to meet and snuggle with my newest baby cousin, Jacob. He's such a little sweetie. His mother is a little neurotic right now but I've been told first time mothers usually are. He's 7 weeks old now and just big enough to be a good armful. :-) I took lots and lots of pictures.
Then, I got the skeesed out by my aunt's husband. Blech! First of all, he's yucky anyway and I always shudder when I see him coming. Then he had to go and hug all over me because he said, "You're not married so I get to hug you all I want." Then when he was leaving to go hunting that afternoon he was making the rounds of hugs again. Did he stop at a hug this time? Noooooo! This time he KISSED ME! *gag, barf, blech* So it was on the cheek but it was wet and lasted a little too long for my comfort. Was I the only one he kissed? Yep. I had the unnerving need to peel the skin off my face after that. Dude just because I ain't married don't mean I won't kick your butt into the middle of next week! Grrrrr... Next year, I guess. hehehe
Thankfully, we bailed on that situation sometime around 4:30 or so and were at my other grandparents house by 5. Now, these are Daddy's folks. Entirely different sack of apples. This family rarely ever fights amongst itself at family gatherings. No. We wait until my Aunt's family leaves and then snark about them behind their backs. hehehe
Sis2 and her dh beat us there (they skipped my mom's family to go to BIL2s family) and my cousin's wife and daughter were there as well. When I walked in my cousin's wife saw me first and said, "Jana's here. It's about to liven up." hehehehe What can I say? I'm the life of the party 'round here. lol It did liven up but only because her hubby (my cousin) and two boys came in shortly after. Their boys, ages 10 and 8, are the roudiest couple of kids I know. They take after their daddy though, so they get it honest.
So everyone finally shows up (the men came in from hunting) and we line up for supper. Yes. Another meal. I really didn't think I was all that full from lunch and that was some four hours ago. So I filled a bowl of chicken and dumplings (no traditional turkey there...my g-parents are unique) and a plate of corn chips and sausage dip. Not a huge bowl or plate. Just a taste. Then I went for a spoonful of what my aunt calls "Fat Man's Pie" (I personal detest that name and chose instead to call it four layer dessert cuz it's got a layer of crust, layer of cream cheese, layer of choc. pudding and layer of whip cream) and a bite of millionaire pie. (fyi, millionaire pie should be called chunk of nasty awfulness cuz it wasn't good. Mostly a lemon pie with chunks of pineapple and caramel drizzled on top to fool you into thinking you're getting something good. Blech!)
Two bites away from finishing my "Fat Man's Pie" and my stomach begins to feel like it's moving on up to my throat. Seriously. One minute I'm fine and enjoying a tasty dessert and the next...not so much. So I gracefully waddled out of the dining room and dumped the remains of my plate into the garbage. One of my cousins is moaning about being too full all the while filling a bowl with banana pudding and I'm thinking now would be a good time to escape outside for some fresh air. My niece follows me out and we walk around the yard for a minute or two. I was certain that a little movement and some air would settle my stomach but the more I walked the sicker I felt. Emmy was so sweet too. She kept asking me was I alright and when I said I thought I was going to be sick, she be-lined for the house to go get me some Pepto cuz she was sure it would make me feel better. Mama came back with her just in time to see me blowing chunks all over the front yard. LOL Thankfully she ran back inside and got me a wet cloth and helped me get cleaned up and then stood around outside with me while I spewed in the bushes in case I passed out or something. You've got to love a mom who will stand on a front porch in the cool night air and listen to her grown daughter toss her cookies. lol
I felt infinitely better after I finished heaving but I was horribly embarrassed. Thankfully no one but Mama, Daddy, Emmy, and Sis2 knew that I'd actually been sick. Everyone else just thought we were outside talking. '-) I also think it's terribly unfair that I ate the same things and amounts that everyone else did but I couldn't hold it all. I'm a big girl. I'm supposed to be an empty pit, right. Dang acid reflux. >:( So I unbuttoned my jeans and went back inside to wash up and spent the rest of the evening on the back porch snarking with Sis2, her dh and Daddy. Oh and the wild boys picked me to bounce on and refused to believe that I might actually throw up on them. I almost wish I had just to teach them a lesson. hehehe
And that was my Thanksgiving. Hope yours was "funner." ;-)
Comments
Hope your Christmas is much better than your Thanksiving was!