General Rantings

What does the "yield" sign mean to you? To me, it means, "Friggen slow down and make sure there isn't any traffic coming before you friggen try to merge into traffic. If there's a car coming, you friggen stop and let them pass before you merge. Thus the word YIELD, people!"

Okay, so I'm sure you can guess I've got a little traffic angst going on. I don't like to drive because of other STUPID drivers. Yeah, okay, so I'm not all that smart some of the time either, but I can at least tell the difference between a "yield" sign and a "merge" sign. If there's a merge sign, yeah, I'll pull into the left lane and let you in. It's not only courteous, its the safe and lawful thing to do. Besides, I know how frustrating it is to try and enter traffic and the idiot in the right lane not move over.

HOWEVER, if there's a "yield" sign? Chances are bloody good that I WON'T switch to the left lane because, dumb butt, your supposed to yield (meaning stop) for oncoming traffic. I don't have to switch lanes and I'm not going to if my right hand turn is just a couple of yards ahead. I've been the idiot before and switched lanes to let someone in who didn't want to yield and then the creep wouldn't let me get back over so that I could get in my turn lane. Instead, I had to go another two miles down the friggen highway and take a different (less convenient) route to campus.

This morning, however, there were three cars that cut me off coming off the exit ramp that has a yield sign instead of a merge sign. I couldn't move over even if I had had the desire to because there was traffic on the left lane anyway. So I slowed down to let them in and then another idiot coming down the exit ramp nearly slammed into my rear because he didn't yield. Grrrrr...

In other much better news, my niece is reading, now. hehehehe! She's only in kindergarten but apparently, kindergarten is where they teach you to read these days. She's been having "sight words" all semester and Sis1 said last night she sat and read a page or two in her book. I'm so proud of her! It won't be long and she'll be sitting alongside her Aunt Jana reading a good romance novel. hehehehe!

I swear, they push our kids too much these days, though. I've heard many a parent complain about this recently. They have first and second graders doing algebra for Pete's sake. Let kids be kids. Yes, education is important. I know this. Algebra in second grade...not so much. It terrifies me to think about having kids someday because I won't be able to help them with their homework, you know? Sis1 is already worrying about that. I feel for her. I guess though, we'll have a bunch of little geniuses on our hands, eh? Either that, or a bunch of flunkies. hehehehe

Now, can I just say....IT'S FRIGGEN COLD!!!! LOL I no likie the cold weather. It was 25 degrees this morning when I got up. (Yeah, I know. That's a veritable heatwave to some of ya'll northern folks but give me a break. Two weeks ago it was still in the 70's here.) My butt nearly stuck to the toilet seat and my poor little car just shivered and moaned when I cranked it. I just really didn't want to even get out of bed. *sigh* I need to walk across campus to the post office for some stamps before I get evicted. Yeah. I still haven't sent my rent check in. But hey, he gets what he rents for. He don't fix stuff...I'm not so timely on my rent. It's a tradeoff. ;-)

Still not reading but I don't mind it so much anymore. I've got too much else to worry about. Like faulty plumbing. Sisters who think I'm at their beck and call. Christmas prezzies to buy. Weight to lose. Money to save. You know. The usual. ;-)

Speaking of Christmas though...the countdown has begun for Christmas/Winter break. I have 8.5 workdays left until I get a two week vacay. Yeeeee Haaaaaaw! hehehe That's perhaps one of the absolute best perks of being a state employee. Winter break. Sis2's all pouty cuz she doesn't get a two week break this year. That's what she gets for getting married, moving away and quitting the cushy little job she had on campus. Me? I'd rather have two weeks off at Christmas than a husband. I have my priorities straight. hehehehe

Comments

kelsci said…
"I'd rather have two weeks off for chrismas better than a husband" had me laughing so hard that I almost fell off my chair. I also like the word "prezzies". You think somebody would thing you were snacking on pretzyls?
Jana said…
LOL Yeah, well, it's just a matter of me being to cute (or lazy lol) to write out the word presents. Sounds more fun, too. ;-)
Heather said…
Oh, I hear you on people failing to STOP when they're supposed to, and from a pedestrian POV, it's even worse for us.

Okay, the LAW says if there are people at a crosswalk, you're supposed to stop behind the white lines and allow them to cross all the way to the other side before taking your foot off the brake.

Too often they wait for you to cross just in front of them and then start across the intersection, or start to turn behind you. This really makes me nervous, because if a person were to stumble or slip on some ice, the chances of the offending vehicle not hitting you are very slim. Also makes me made when they pull over the crosswalk (esp. at unobstructed corners!), forcing me to walk out into heavy oncoming traffic to get around them. Grr!

As for reading in kindergarten...that's when I started learning. We were also required to bring a deck of cards to school as math flashcards but algebra in second grade? Are you kidding me? It was hard enough in 7th!

Wimp! Just past 10pm right now and it's 0F. Seriously. I don't even want to know what the windchill is. *shiver*

BTW, are we going to be completely deprived of your wit during your two weeks off? Say it isn't so!

(And yes, I know I've been neglcting my own blog again. Sorry!)
Heather said…
Hehe...sorry for the novella! ;-)
Jana said…
LOL Heather! I'm not a wimp...just, well, hotblooded. lol It drops below 65 and I'm freezing but if it gets over 75 I'm burning up. *ggg*

And I'm working on a solution to my on-line absence during my two week break. No guarantees but I've got a couple of ideas on how to get my laptop at home 'net friendly again. If that doesn't work, then yeah. I'll be going blog silent for a two week stretch. :-/

I don't know if I can take it. I'm a blog addict. lol

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today