Mishaps, Asleep at the Wheel, and Finding a Quiet Moment

Or, as it's been called countless times, the Weekend Review.

Friday morning dawned cold and bright. Thankfully, all the rain of the previous day had cleared away leaving a crisp clear cold in it's wake. Not that I like the cold, mind you, but the cold AND rain? Uh-uh. Me no likie. At. All.

Despite the crisp cold air though, my morning started out rather dismal. I'd had a minor tiff with Sis1 on the phone the night before so I hadn't slept well. She had informed me that she would be spending the night at my house Friday night and when I informed her that I was still having plumbing problems, she went all diva on me so I went off on her or as she said, I got huffy. (This from a woman who snaps at you if you look at her wrong. I let my exasperation show and she gets pissed.) However much many women claim that fighting with sisters if par for the course, I've never liked fighting with my sisters. For whatever reason (my peacemaker tendencies perhaps?) it bothers me when I clash with either one of them. Ergo, I didn't sleep well Thursday night AND I was still obsessing over the argument...these things totally threw off my groove Friday morning.

Which led to an early morning dash to Wal-Mart.

Yes, my friends, that was me you saw at Wal-Mart at 7:20 am. Friday was our Christmas luncheon at work and I had signed up to bring cups and cutlery. I had, in fact, purchased these items the previous Wednesday night and had sat them by the door WITH MY PURSE so that I wouldn't forget to take them. With the sleep deprived angst, what did I do? I ran out and forgot the cups and cutlery.

I was taking my exit to get off on campus when a light went off in my head and massive "Dag-gummits" and "oh craps" ensued. My first instinct was to just go right back home and get them and was driving back in that direction when I realized it would be that much quicker to just go to Wal-Mart and buy more. I could always return the others. So, this decided, I dashed into the store and purchased more cups and cutlery. I was still 30 minutes late to work. *sigh*

So, luncheon came and went and they didn't even use my cups. All that rush, worry and added expense for nothing. I promptly repo'd my cups and sold them to a friend who said she needed cups for a church function and didn't want to go to the store. :-)

I should have gotten my grove back at some point Friday, right? Wrong. I got off work at 3 and went BACK to Wal-Mart because I needed to buy a new electric heater to put in Sis1's room at my house so that I could partially appease her. (a peace offering of sorts. If she must worry about flushing schedules the least I could do is make sure she doesn't freeze in her sleep, right?) Well, I couldn't find the heater that I wanted so I had to blind purchase this other brand. Couldn't find a price on it anywhere but I figured that it closely resembled the one I wanted so it should be around the same price. Wrong again. When they rang it up and $60 flashed up there I nearly croaked. Hello, Visa. Nice to see ya. Was hoping I wouldn't hafta.

I also ran into my mom at the check out counter and she bore witness to the plastic swiping which led to a pointed look. Yes. My mother still gives me grief about my spending habits. And yes, it annoys me but...*sigh* I know she's right so I don't say much.

So, I walk out with my mom and we're walking in the parking lot and suddenly realize neither one of us has found our cars. So we backtrack a bit and Mama finds hers but I still can't find mine. I'm sure I parked on this line. I'm visually seeing myself parking there and walking into the store. So where is my car? Mama offers to watch my buggy/purchases while I walk up and down the isles looking for my car. I cover maybe three or four lines all on the grocery entrance side of the parking lot and still no car. So, I go back to Mama and twitter about how I'm certain my car was parked over here. She's getting cold and I'm getting really freaked out. I'm only 26. I'm not supposed to have total memory lapses, right? Right? *sigh*

After a minute, I close my eyes and try and picture me coming in and I remember driving through a big puddle. Looking around there aren't any puddles anywhere near where we're standing so I look at Mama (who was enjoying this far too much I think) and realize that I must have parked on the OTHER side of the parking lot at the non-grocery entrance. She again offers to watch my stuff while I go off to search and sure enough, there it was. Parked right where I'd left it on isle 4.

I have officially lost my everlovin' mind. *sigh*

So I drive around, she and I swap cars (I was borrowing hers to make a trip west Saturday) and I head on home.

Get home, everythings cool. I put the heater together, get it going and Sis1 and Emmy arrive. Lots of hugs, Sis1's impressed with the heater and all is forgiven. Off we go to Applebee's for supper because with the bad mojo I had going on, I didn't trust myself in a kitchen. Applebee's is good. I get the Asian Chicken Salad and Emmy and I split an apple chimicheesecake because she just HAS to have one when she goes to Applebee's.

Get back to the house and what happens? Disaster. A toilet that prior to Sis1's arrival would actually flush properly, albeit not twice in a row, was no longer flushing properly at all. Who should discover this? Sis1. Of course.

This sets off her diva behavior and has me gritting my teeth. Thankfully, Emmy was in a really good mood so I spent the rest of the evening playing with her and keeping her out of trouble. Or, rather, she was keeping ME out of trouble.

Bedtime rolls around and Emmy says she wants to sleep with me. Having slept with her on numerous occasions prior to this, I mentally groan and resign myself to being kicked out of my own bed. Sure enough, by 11:00 she was hogging the bed and I was heading to the couch. Yeah, I have another spare bed but its in a room that doesn't have a heater and it was COLD. So I curled up on the couch in front of the gas heater and pretended to sleep. I MAY have gotten an hour or two of actual sleep but not much more than that. The couch is actually a love seat and I'm a chunky 5'5 so you do the math. Besides that, the dog (Scarlett, Sis1's dog) who had previously been sleeping in the bed with Emmy followed me to the couch and whined wanting me to let her up with me. There's barely room for me. Me and a 25lb dachshund? Not so much.

Doesn't matter anyway cuz I was up at 6:30 with the girls anyway. Why was I up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning? Why, to send Sis1 off to Tupelo with our mom and aunt and to get Emmy up to go to the Delta to visit Sis2, of course.

I had already made arrangements with Sis2 for me and Emmy to get our showers once we got to her house. It's an hour long drive and we wanted to get on the road ASAP so squeeze in every ounce of the day that we could.

Emmy and I left around eight or so and were there by nine. Fifteen minutes after we left my house though, Emmy was asking, "Are we almost there yet?" Um, no, sweetie. Not quite. lol We had to make one pitstop halfway there to loosen her seat belt because it was pinching her. It was at this point that I had my first encounter of the day with idiot drivers.

We had pulled into a gas station, an out of the way place near Kilmichael. As I was backing out, this white car zips out nearly clipping me. So we get back on the four lane and this same white car is not only going like 25mph, they are also driving with the fuel door open on their car. I figure either they're hung over or stupid. Either way, I wasn't going to follow them so I get over into the left lane to pass them. I'm just about around them when suddenly they speed up and zoom off ahead of me. That's fine. Good riddance to bad rubbish I think and coast back into the right lane.

Some 10 miles down the road, I'm cruising at 65 mph (the speed limit) and up ahead I see this big caddy trying to pass a little blue car. The blue car does the same thing to the caddy that the white car had done to me--it sped up so that the other car couldn't get around. The Caddy gets back in the right lane and then I see them slowing down. By this time I'm getting closer to them and cheer for the Caddy when they finally get around the little blue car.

It wasn't long though that I, myself, was nearly riding the bumper of the little blue car. So I move over to pass, get nose to nose with them and they zoom off a bit eliciting some mental berations from me and I move back to the right lane. Before I know it, I'm riding their bumper again. This time when I went to pass, I didn't waste any time getting around them. I punched Mama's little car up to 80 and passed those suckers.

Just what IS it with Delta folks not liking being passed? *sigh*

But, alas, we make it to Sis2's house. I almost immediately go hop in the shower while Sis2 cooks breakfast. We couldn't coax Emmy into the shower until nearly 1:30 though. She was having too much fun. She and BIL2 played and wrestled while Sis2 and I visited and I helped her put together a couple of table arrangements. When we finally left at quarter to 4 (amidst tears on Emmy's part cuz she didn't want to leave Sis2) I was wiped. Emmy fell asleep within 10 minutes of leaving which led to me nearly falling asleep at the wheel. Had it been just me in the car I likely would have but knowing that I was carting precious cargo, I fought to stay awake and by the time we made it back to town, I was wide awake. It was a good thing too cuz I had to drive Emmy all the way out to my folks house (an added 30 minutes.) She was spending the night with her Nana and Bobo and I had to pick my aunt up and bring her back with me.

Needless to say, I didn't get home until nearly seven Saturday night. Ah, the blessed peace and quiet. Sis1 was staying out at my folks house, too so I had my home back. And guess what. The toilet flushed fine. LOL My house, apparently has a mind of its own and harbors a vendetta or two against Sis1. Oh well. Serves her right for going and getting all snotty on us.

Sunday was a much quieter day. I slept in, went to church, and then went back out to my folks house for lunch. Emmy and Sis1 headed back to Bama at 2:30 and then I just hung out with the 'rents until nearly five when I went home.

My only real complaint about Sunday night? Desperate Housewives didn't come on. Boo.

And that, m'friends, was my weekend.

Comments

Heather said…
Sorry you had such a frustrating weekend. I think you need to check into tenant/landlord laws in your area, or put a bee in the building inspector's bonnet about your plumbing. By law you should have working plumbing and if it does not work right the landlord is required to fix it. If he won't do it on his own, let the building inspector lean on him. Also, by law (at least here), withholding a portion of the rent until it gets fixed is legal.

As for Sunday TV...there was no "Cold Case" either, which was okay since the Packers played a late game last night that went into OT -- and they actually won!
April said…
(((Jana)))

What a weekend. You wore me out just reading about it.

i seriously would have had some issues with my sis if she was getting all diva with me!!! You are a sweetheart!! They are lucky to have a sis like you.

And I agree with Hetaher check into the rental laws and MAKE them fix it!
Jana said…
Thanks, ya'll. (((hugs)))

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today