All Hail The Recent Birthday Girl
Yep. That would be me. I'm inching to the top of the hill (or at least the first hill, anyhow). Twenty-seven.
I arranged Wednesday to be off for my birthday because, really. Who wants to work on their birthday? Not me. Besides, I get a day off to celebrate Martin Luther King's Birthday so why not get a day off to celebrate mine? I know me better and I'm still alive. (Not to say MLK ain't worth celebrating. He is. So don't get your panties/drawers/knickers/etc. in a twist.) So yeah. I had a "me" day. Or was hoping to, anyway.
Now if there is one thing my family knows about me, it's my apathy towards the vile invention of the telephone. Yeah, yeah. I know it has it's uses and yes I enjoy a good long conversation with people I love. But. It's still a vile invention and more often than not is a major pain in the butt. So what does everyone do on my day to celebrate "me"? They call me, of course. lol
Yeah, it's great and sweet and thoughtful that they called to wish me a happy birthday. I'm extremely blessed to have such thoughtful family. But, I think I need to get Heather to give them a few lessons. hehehe She sent me a lovely card with some yummy candy and I smiled with great enthusiasm. Still smile every time I look at the card. It was sweet and thoughtful and I'm extremely blessed to have such a thoughtful friend. The phone calls? Well. No smile. Just a grunt or a groan of "dag-gummit all to heck" before I answered and put on my "happy voice" and endured various versions (both in and out of tune) of the happy birthday song. lol
No. I really do appreciate the thoughts but yeah, I really did groan in frustration each time the phone rang. Mostly cuz I was in the middle of a really good book and hated to be pulled away from it. lol
So that was my morning. Reading and answering the phone. A mix of pleasure and frustration but still a good way to spend the morning.
Then about 11:00 or so, I got a knock on the door. Kinda freaked me out even though I knew my mom and niece were going to be there at some point. I thought they would call first. So when there was a knock on the door I freaked and streaked to the bedroom for some pants because, yeah. I was still in my nightgown. (Even though I'd had a shower, fyi. hehe) But it was Mama and Emmy. They didn't call. *rolls eyes*
We had plans to meet Sis2 halfway to drop Emmy off with her to spend a couple of nights. Sis2 is quite obviously Emmy's favorite aunt. So we sat around playing and reading (yes, my sweet baby girl is READING!!) until Sis2 calls to tell us she's finally off work and ready to hit the road. Emmy and I napped most of the way. Or I partially napped anyway. Mama kept waking me with one question/comment or another. She's a talker, unlike her youngest daughter. (That would be me. hehe)
Finally reaching our destination (a convenience store in a tiny speck of a town called Stuart), Sis2 is waiting on us and we all troop inside because ya'll. It has turned off COLD down here. Brrrr. The wind cuts like a sonofabiscuit. But we stand around inside the store and cut up like we don't have good sense (which we don't). Emmy cons her nana into buying her some chips and a drink. I con her into buying me a cup of coffee. I know we had to have stood around in there for nearly a half hour or so. The cashier kept shaking her head at us. lol
After we left there, Mama and I went grocery shopping. I actually made out pretty well. I only spent my entire grocery budget for the month. lol But at least I can eat now. Mostly. But can I just say that the supercenter in the late afternoon is a major booger of a crowd? Yuck. I suffer from some major claustrophobia where crowds are concerned. Stick me a closet and I'm fine. Put me in a crowd of people and I tend to get seriously wigged out. lol
But I manage to survive and we finally go home. Ah. Blessed peace, once again. Mama gives me a surprise slice of cheesecake she secretly bought me and I finally have the rest of the night alone. Not even a single phone call. Hear that? That's me sighing in contentment. hehehe
So I a) finished my book, b) ate my slice of cheesecake, c) drank some yummy coffee and d) passed out...in that order. I didn't even watch any television. Not that there was anything good on, anyway.
So the celebration of ME continues tonight. Sis1 is coming in from Bama and has promised to take me to my favorite restaurant for that steak I never got that my aunt promised me about a month ago. ;-) I think I remember her promising me a movie, too. Guess we'll see.
And then the celebration extends into the weekend with a cookout at my parents house where I will be given all my presents. Presents bought without a list, too, cuz I never gave them one. hehehe
So I'm going to soak up the Weekend Of Me before returning to my regular status of nobody come Monday morning. I think I'll probably be looking forward to being nobody by then. *grin*
I arranged Wednesday to be off for my birthday because, really. Who wants to work on their birthday? Not me. Besides, I get a day off to celebrate Martin Luther King's Birthday so why not get a day off to celebrate mine? I know me better and I'm still alive. (Not to say MLK ain't worth celebrating. He is. So don't get your panties/drawers/knickers/etc. in a twist.) So yeah. I had a "me" day. Or was hoping to, anyway.
Now if there is one thing my family knows about me, it's my apathy towards the vile invention of the telephone. Yeah, yeah. I know it has it's uses and yes I enjoy a good long conversation with people I love. But. It's still a vile invention and more often than not is a major pain in the butt. So what does everyone do on my day to celebrate "me"? They call me, of course. lol
Yeah, it's great and sweet and thoughtful that they called to wish me a happy birthday. I'm extremely blessed to have such thoughtful family. But, I think I need to get Heather to give them a few lessons. hehehe She sent me a lovely card with some yummy candy and I smiled with great enthusiasm. Still smile every time I look at the card. It was sweet and thoughtful and I'm extremely blessed to have such a thoughtful friend. The phone calls? Well. No smile. Just a grunt or a groan of "dag-gummit all to heck" before I answered and put on my "happy voice" and endured various versions (both in and out of tune) of the happy birthday song. lol
No. I really do appreciate the thoughts but yeah, I really did groan in frustration each time the phone rang. Mostly cuz I was in the middle of a really good book and hated to be pulled away from it. lol
So that was my morning. Reading and answering the phone. A mix of pleasure and frustration but still a good way to spend the morning.
Then about 11:00 or so, I got a knock on the door. Kinda freaked me out even though I knew my mom and niece were going to be there at some point. I thought they would call first. So when there was a knock on the door I freaked and streaked to the bedroom for some pants because, yeah. I was still in my nightgown. (Even though I'd had a shower, fyi. hehe) But it was Mama and Emmy. They didn't call. *rolls eyes*
We had plans to meet Sis2 halfway to drop Emmy off with her to spend a couple of nights. Sis2 is quite obviously Emmy's favorite aunt. So we sat around playing and reading (yes, my sweet baby girl is READING!!) until Sis2 calls to tell us she's finally off work and ready to hit the road. Emmy and I napped most of the way. Or I partially napped anyway. Mama kept waking me with one question/comment or another. She's a talker, unlike her youngest daughter. (That would be me. hehe)
Finally reaching our destination (a convenience store in a tiny speck of a town called Stuart), Sis2 is waiting on us and we all troop inside because ya'll. It has turned off COLD down here. Brrrr. The wind cuts like a sonofabiscuit. But we stand around inside the store and cut up like we don't have good sense (which we don't). Emmy cons her nana into buying her some chips and a drink. I con her into buying me a cup of coffee. I know we had to have stood around in there for nearly a half hour or so. The cashier kept shaking her head at us. lol
After we left there, Mama and I went grocery shopping. I actually made out pretty well. I only spent my entire grocery budget for the month. lol But at least I can eat now. Mostly. But can I just say that the supercenter in the late afternoon is a major booger of a crowd? Yuck. I suffer from some major claustrophobia where crowds are concerned. Stick me a closet and I'm fine. Put me in a crowd of people and I tend to get seriously wigged out. lol
But I manage to survive and we finally go home. Ah. Blessed peace, once again. Mama gives me a surprise slice of cheesecake she secretly bought me and I finally have the rest of the night alone. Not even a single phone call. Hear that? That's me sighing in contentment. hehehe
So I a) finished my book, b) ate my slice of cheesecake, c) drank some yummy coffee and d) passed out...in that order. I didn't even watch any television. Not that there was anything good on, anyway.
So the celebration of ME continues tonight. Sis1 is coming in from Bama and has promised to take me to my favorite restaurant for that steak I never got that my aunt promised me about a month ago. ;-) I think I remember her promising me a movie, too. Guess we'll see.
And then the celebration extends into the weekend with a cookout at my parents house where I will be given all my presents. Presents bought without a list, too, cuz I never gave them one. hehehe
So I'm going to soak up the Weekend Of Me before returning to my regular status of nobody come Monday morning. I think I'll probably be looking forward to being nobody by then. *grin*
Comments
Aww, shucks...glad you like the card, and enjoyed the chocolates - my motto is give as you would receive, hehe. Sorry it seemed like your entire family called that day, but glad you were able to finish your book in the evening. Don't you hate being interrupted in the middle of a really good one?
Hope you enjoy your birthday weekend!
I'm doing pretty good. Tired, kind of stressed, but thankful for good friends. :) I went over to my friend Tara's last night and we played catch up, watch movies, and eat too much. LOL!
Do you have an email addie so I can actually email you??? :) You'd think we would have done that by now. LOL!
Have a great weekend. Hopefully you get all that yummy food you were hoping for. Bye!
Kaitlin~Drop me a line at janabelle2002 @ yahoo dot com. :-)