In a Rage

No, not me. The weather yesterday.

So I left work early yesterday, around one o'clock, due to an eminent storm system that was making it's way east from Texas. They were predicting strong winds...possibly straightline winds. At first they said 45-50 mph then they said 60-70mph. I honestly don't know which occurred at my house, but man did the wind and rain rage on for a good 20 minutes or so.

I could feel it coming for the past couple of days. The temps had risen, the humidity was up and the winds had started to blow sometime around Tuesday or so. Yesterday when I left work you could just feel it coming. It was exhilarating to feel the heavy winds whipping my hair around. All the way home, it whipped the car and the trees swayed to accommodate it.

Once home, I went raised the blinds in the living room in anticipation. Nothing worse than being caught off guard by it. That's when it gets scary for me. Otherwise I love a good storm. So I snuggled in on the couch with a Crusie novel and waited. It was maybe an hour and a half before the light outside began to dim and the air got heavy. I could actually hear the storm coming my way and then it hit. A brilliant sheet of raging winds and rain so heavy and thick that I could barely make out the houses across the road. I raced around the house (well not so much raced as I did hopped. lol) throwing up all the blinds to get a good solid look at it. I also gathered up flashlights and radios in case we lost power. Daddy would be so proud. lol

The only really unnerving moment was when a smallish limb slammed into the side of the house and I didn't know what it was. I think it was actually trying to get into the kitchen window because it was lying beneath the window when I went searching for the source of the noise. hehe

Then I had one other minor panicky moment when I stepped on a wet spot on my bedroom floor. I just KNEW that the ceiling was leaking. But it wasn't. I had forgotten that I had carried some wet towels through to the laundry room earlier and they must have dripped. lol

But it was a sight to behold, to watch in wonder as the storm raged on through...rain coming in heavy torrents, the wind howling out it's fury, the sky so dark and grim looking. It isn't very often that we get a storm of that nature. And very rare that it's in the daytime.

But we fared well in our town. Not much in the way of heavy damage. Lots of limbs down all over and junk blown into strange places. Very muddy and yucky looking but no major damage that I've heard about anyway. Neighboring towns didn't fare so well though. A subdivision in the town east of us had several homes damaged by trees. The town north of us lost a couple of roofs. Several cars in both places had windows blown out. Just generally a mess

So I'm very thankful and blessed.

The last time that sort of storm came through was back in February of 2001. It was my senior year of college and I was in photography class. I don't even think a storm had been predicted for this particular day.

Well, the computer lab we were working in that day is this little box of a room in the middle of the building...no windows. So we're all tapping away, twittering at the sound of the thunder outside when all of a sudden the lights went out and there was this loud crashing sound. So there we were, this class of about 20 or so college students and our professor all giggling in the dark wondering just what in Heaven's name is going on. Our prof. was this strange looking little man who is a total freak when it comes to photography and such so he herds us all out into the hall and he runs to his office and grabs his camera and a video camera. Many of us had scattered throughout the building...some going to the basement where the other professors were telling us to go. Me? Like a few others, I followed our prof. outside onto the balcony of the building and watched the storm rage. And that crashing sound we'd heard? The roof of our building. it was laying in a tangled mess just below the balcony we were standing on.

It was glorious and exhilarating to watch and feel this amazing storm. Of course, I realize now the idiocy of standing on the balcony of a building that had just lost it's roof but I was young. Can't say I wouldn't do it again now though. lol

That particular storm (many thought it was a tornado. Meteorologists defined it as severe straightline winds.) ripped through three or four counties wreaking the kind of havoc that had us declared disaster areas. Several buildings on campus sustained damage, the W, our sister college, had several buildings smashed not to mention all the homes that got ripped and decorated with trees.

Folks still talk about that storm every time a good stiff wind blows through. They probably will this one, as well.

Comments

Heather said…
I heard about the nasty storms and tornados that tore through the south last night -- glad you and your family are all okay, and that that fallen limb didn't break your kitchen window. Who knows how long it would have taken your delinquant landlord to fix that! And for Pete's sake, take it easy on wet/slippery floors! We don't need you falling again.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today