Happy Obsessions
So I was watching Desperate Housewives Sunday night and one of the sub-plots was Lynnett's son, Parker's, obsessions. You know, how he goes from being obsessed with one subject to another. Like baseball, trains, vaginas, etc. He becomes completely consumed with knowing and doing everything to do with that subject. As I watched it, I realized that I'm a lot like Parker. (Though I must admit. I've never been obsessed with vaginas. lol)
I have an obsessive behavior. Mostly with books. Sometimes other forms of entertainment. Anyone remember Keith Urban? hehehe (Yeah, I still love him but ever since he came out with Nicole Kidman it kinda killed the obsession, ya know?) I'm sure ya'll have noticed my obsessive behavior, too, beyond Keith Urban. My relentless pursuit of Jen Weiner's latest book/film/etc. My relentless pursuit of Don't Look Down. And if you read my eHarlequin book blog, you'd know all about my new obsession with the Torie O'Shea mysteries. Heck, you've probably caught onto it here.
I find a book/series/author that I like and then BOOM!! I hafta read everything involved with that book/series/author. Bless poor Jennifer Weiner when Goodnight Nobody came out and Jenny Crusie and Bob Mayer while I was awaiting Don't Look Down. It's probably a good thing that I don't lend my obsessions to stalking. If if did, I'd probably be in jail somewhere for sending disturbing letters to Maggie Shayne as I wait for the next installment of her Wings in the Night series. Yes. Yet another obsession. ;-)
So my question is, is this sort of obsession normal? Are there other's in the world who haunt websites and blogs in the endless search of their next Weiner/Crusie/Mayer hit? Does anyone else go on half.com and buy every prior book to a seven book series and moan in ecstacy when the mailbox is finally full with packages?
I swear, some days I feel like a junkie anxiously seeking my next fix. So what does that say about me? I have an addictive behavior? Or I'm just obsessive compulsive? Do I need therapy or should I just skip it and go straight to BA? (That's Bookaholics Anonymous, btw.)
At any rate, I'm guessing that if my biggest obsession is with books, I and the world should be happy. So long as I'm reading I'm not tossing folks into traffic. And so long as the web administrators for the Crusie/Mayer website don't keep tabs of how many times I hit their blog in a day no one really has any cause to worry. Right? Right?
And hey. I'm actually helping people out here. It's obsessive book lovers who keep writers in buisness. So in essence the author's I haunt should be thanking me. hehehehe
I have an obsessive behavior. Mostly with books. Sometimes other forms of entertainment. Anyone remember Keith Urban? hehehe (Yeah, I still love him but ever since he came out with Nicole Kidman it kinda killed the obsession, ya know?) I'm sure ya'll have noticed my obsessive behavior, too, beyond Keith Urban. My relentless pursuit of Jen Weiner's latest book/film/etc. My relentless pursuit of Don't Look Down. And if you read my eHarlequin book blog, you'd know all about my new obsession with the Torie O'Shea mysteries. Heck, you've probably caught onto it here.
I find a book/series/author that I like and then BOOM!! I hafta read everything involved with that book/series/author. Bless poor Jennifer Weiner when Goodnight Nobody came out and Jenny Crusie and Bob Mayer while I was awaiting Don't Look Down. It's probably a good thing that I don't lend my obsessions to stalking. If if did, I'd probably be in jail somewhere for sending disturbing letters to Maggie Shayne as I wait for the next installment of her Wings in the Night series. Yes. Yet another obsession. ;-)
So my question is, is this sort of obsession normal? Are there other's in the world who haunt websites and blogs in the endless search of their next Weiner/Crusie/Mayer hit? Does anyone else go on half.com and buy every prior book to a seven book series and moan in ecstacy when the mailbox is finally full with packages?
I swear, some days I feel like a junkie anxiously seeking my next fix. So what does that say about me? I have an addictive behavior? Or I'm just obsessive compulsive? Do I need therapy or should I just skip it and go straight to BA? (That's Bookaholics Anonymous, btw.)
At any rate, I'm guessing that if my biggest obsession is with books, I and the world should be happy. So long as I'm reading I'm not tossing folks into traffic. And so long as the web administrators for the Crusie/Mayer website don't keep tabs of how many times I hit their blog in a day no one really has any cause to worry. Right? Right?
And hey. I'm actually helping people out here. It's obsessive book lovers who keep writers in buisness. So in essence the author's I haunt should be thanking me. hehehehe
Comments
Similarly, my friend Kim went on such a quest for Suzanne Brockman's backlist after receiving one of her books for Christmas (from me, of course).
Other obsessions? Stampin' Up. *Sigh* It's just not fair of them to constantly introduce awesoem new sets I *have* to have. And yes, I have a rather large order ready to be placed with them again. Need to get some of the spring mini catalog sets, the couple ink colors I'm missing, and take advantage of this month's background special, LOL.