Finally Friday

Could this week BE any longer? lol

I'm sleepy. Eyes are heavy. *sigh* I woke up around 2:30 or so this morning and COULD NOT go back to sleep. Far too much crap rollin' around in the old noggin. Crap that can't be solved in the wee hours of the morning but crap that would not shut the heck up and let me sleep. So what did I do? I read, of course. Patricia McLinn's The Right Brother. It was goooood. Of course, I'd read most of it already so I just finished reading it in the wee hours of the morning. But it was gooooood. I now have a new dream hero.

Unfortunately, the book was so darn good that it DIDN'T put me to sleep so that although I finished it at like, 3:30 am I still could not get to sleep. When I finally DID drift off the alarm went off about 20 minutes later.

*sigh*

Not. Fun

Then when I got to work we were having network issues and I could not access any of my drives in order to, you know. Werk. Fiddled with that for about an hour while listening to one of my crew go on and on and ON about some nonsense knowing full well that I was mostly dead. *double sigh* At least she should have known judging by the sloppy make-up job and glassy eyes

Then my sister emailed me and said that my niece is having some problems at school. As you may remember, Emmy started 1st grade this month. I think on the 10th. Well, she's already gotten a 70 on her first spelling test and she has another one this morning. Sis1 said that Emmy was confident about it but then on the way to school she started crying and wouldn't say why. Sis1 says she didn't know what it could be but I figure the tears were the only outlet for a six-year-old anxious about passing a spelling test when she's under the threat that if she doesn't pass it she's grounded from watching TV for three days.

I don't remember 1st grade being so stressful. But then, my mom wasn't like Sis1. She actually had patience. And I never let her know when I was having spelling tests because I hated being "helped" to study. Hence the bad spelling witnessed here and wherever else I forget to click on spell check.

But I digress.

I tried to counsel Sis1 on ways that she could better help Emmy prepair for her tests and to encourage her to do better that didn't involve grounding or yelling. Not sure that it penetrated her thick skull but at least I tried. Maybe it'll sink in a bit. At least, I hope it does.

Not that I'm an expert on raising kids by any means, being that I don't have any. But I do remember what it was like to be a kid struggling with an impatient parent who INSISTED on perfect grades. I rebelled by bringing home C's and B's. I'd like to think Emmy will be free to choose A's without all the fuss. Cause I'll tell ya. The quickest way to get me to dig my heels in and refuse to do something is to tell me that I must or else. And Emmy, sad to say, is a lot like me. And being an only child (and daughter of an aerospace engineer) she has a LOT more attention and expectations than I did.

At least she doesn't have a perfect sibling for them to compair her to and find her lacking like I and Sis1 did. Love her to death but if I heard "You should be more like Sis2" one more time I would have KILLED somebody. The irony is, though, that these days she gets told to be more like me. hehehe

But anyway...

I got to sneak off to the stacks with the hunky copier representative. Sadly the only thing he wanted to fondle was the copy machine. *sigh* But he smelled good, was friendly and had nice broad yummy shoulders. I was sorta hoping he'd take his shirt off while he fiddled with the copier. At least ONE of us woulda enjoyed the experience. hehehehehe

Comments

Heather said…
Ah, gee...sorry you didn't have a more entertaining time in the stacks. ;-D

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today