Weekend Roundup
I know, I know, I normally do this on Mondays but I was too excited for Donna yesterday so here it is. A play by play (snore) of the weekend. ;-)
These Friday night phone calls are getting to be a bit like Friday night dinners at the Gilmore house…tedious and pain in the butt. lol
Seriously, I think all the people in my life have decided that since hey, Jana’s a loser at home every Friday night we’ll just call her then. Never mind that Jana might like her Friday nights in peace. *rolls eyes*
No, I don’t actually mind it all that much since really the only two people who call me then are my best friend and my oldest sister. The best friend called to remind me of her misery. lol Her MIL is coming to visit them for a month. I wished her well and promised to either visit her in prison or come to her funeral…whichever action was required. hehehe
I’m not entirely certain why Sis1 called other than to make sure I was still breathing. My mom had told her about the wicked night I had with my old pal, acid reflux, and she was worried. I guess that was sweet.
But that’s like the second Friday night in a row that those same two people have called me. Wonder what’s up with that…
Saturday was pretty okay. Got up early and the folks and I went westward to visit with Sis2 and her dh. We got there at 9am. BIL was still in the shower. He should know by now that we’re not the sort of people to waste that kind of gas just to come in time to eat. hehehe
But we talked and talked and talked and made fun of each other and then Sis2 put her dh to work in the kitchen. hehehe That girl…I know I was so hard on her dh when they first married and there were times when I just really didn’t like him all that much…but she got her a man who can cook! She’s not so dumb after all. hehehehe
So yeah, he cooked baked beans and then put some ribs, chicken and corn on the cob on the grill. All Sis2 had to do was mix up the cole slaw.
And man, it was good, too. The ribs were a little fatty but I can’t fault Goofus for that. He didn’t fatten the hog…he just cooked it. hehe
And then there was pie. Yes…Goofus baked a pie. A scrumptious peanut butter pie which had I not been in the company of family, I’d have moaned. Yeah. It was just that good.
Then after lunch we talked and talked and talked some more. We didn’t dare step outside to do anything though because it was so bloomin’ hot. They have neighbors, besides, so you couldn’t do anything raucous anyhow. Which is weird because they almost literally live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest towns in either direction are 20-30 minutes away. They’re like this little subdivision that’s plopped down amidst the hills and kudzoo. *shrugs*
Speaking of the kudzoo, though, I don’t know if any of ya’ll have ever seen it or know what I’m talking about, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the next time we went, the houses were overtaken with the stuff. lol It’s grown so much since the last time we were there that the sign to their subdivision is just about overgrown and we nearly missed our turn.
Dumbest thing the south’s ever done…bringin’ in kudzoo.
Though, I must say, it’s actually pretty cool to look at. The way it overgrows trees, bushes and pretty much anything standing still long enough, it’s really fun to stare at it and try to make out shapes. There’s this stretch of road going to my parents’ house that when I was a kid, I used to imagine that they big leafy shapes were sleeping dinosaurs that came alive at night when everyone was sleeping. hehehe
When I finally got home Saturday night, I slurped a slimfast and popped in a DVD. I needed to do laundry but…Ugh! I was toooo tired. All that talking, eating and driving just really wore me out.
Oh, and I also finished a book ending my three week reading draught. Yay me! lol
Sunday brought it’s own brand of confusion. You know, the whole church dilemma. *sigh* Sometimes I think it’d just be easier to give up the notion of finding a church home and either abandon the whole church thing altogether or just settle for less than perfect. I know neither of those options are what I’m being led to do and I want to be obedient but it’s so hard.
So anyway, I decided to try something new. My aunt had been inviting me to her church for months but for some reason (fear) I never went. Well, I didn’t want to go to the church I’d been going to and I didn’t want the hassle of driving out to my folks’ church so I decided to try my aunt’s church.
So I did. I wasn't quite sure where, exactly, the church was. It's sort of stuck off out in the land beyond (this whole little sub-world) town. This tiny little church in the back of beyond (same county as me) supposedly just 15 minutes from my house.
Though I've been there once before, that one time was EONS ago. Like, “Jana was still in high school”, ago. But I had some general directions so I checked the water in my car (stupid radiator can't hold its water!), said a prayer and drove.
And drove. And drove. And drove some more. I swear, if I ever decide I want to get lost I'll drive out thata way. lol Just when I thought I was about to drive off the edge of the earth there it was! Like, BAM! Smack in the middle of two houses so I almost missed it and nearly had the person behind me (yeah, even in back of beyond there are tailgaters) slam into me when I yanked the wheel to turn. lol
I'll admit, I did actually park and check to see if my aunt's car was there and when I didn't see it I pulled out and headed home. I got maybe half a mile away when I "heard" the Lord tell I was being a stupid head and to just go back. So I did. I went back.
Walked in (totally clueless and bit scared) and this man who I assumed was the pastor comes up to me and introduces himself. I told him my name and who my aunt is. He looked at me blankly and I'm thinking, "Oh crap. I'm at the wrong church" when some kind gentleman behind me says, "Oh, she's gone on to the back."
It's then that I look up and see my cousin, B, standing just inside the sanctuary grinnin' for all he's worth, the dork. He coulda come up and rescued me. Instead, he tells me after we sit down (quite cheekily, I might add) that the man I'd clumsily introduced myself to was actually the revival preacher.
Yeah, they were in revival. *sigh* And man, was it hot in there. My aunt was tickled that I came, though, and that made me feel good. She’s one of my favorite aunt. The aunt who’s always been like a second mama to me. She doesn’t favor either of my sisters either so that goes a long way towards endearing her to me. lol
So yeah, the sermon was good, what time I wasn’t sweating like a hog at the slaughterhouse. (bad mental image?) hehe
I still don’t know that this is where I’m supposed to be but I may go back a couple more times still.
I guess I’m just waiting and praying to find the sort of church home I had when I was a child. The kind of experience where when you walk in it feels like home. Like you’ve been there forever. And it’s scary to think that that sort of thing may not exist anymore. That the church (in general terms) has become so much of the world that there isn’t a place like that for me any longer.
But at what point to do decide to throw in the towel and just settle for a vagrant type of church life?
*shakes head*
I suppose that’s something I’ll have to discover on my own (with Jesus) at some point in the future.
At any rate, my aunt invited me to stay for the lunch the church was having after the service but by that time I was tired and getting cranky so I opted not to. I think she was disappointed and I feel bad about that but…You know me. I’m not a social gal on a good day.
So after I got home, I watched TV and read a book and then got busy doing the laundry that I neglected Saturday night. I kept meaning to haul my lazy butt off the couch and go to town to buy groceries but never made it. Which means I’ve got to go this afternoon or I’ll be out of toilet paper in a short while. Can’t be without toilet paper.
Last night, of course, was a better TV night as both Big Brother All Stars and The 4400 came on. I thought my favorite A&E series Flip This House was back with new shows and I suppose it is, but it’s a different team and I was put out because I liked the Trademark Properties team from last season. *shrugs* Maybe I’ll decide I like the new team. I dunno. Guess we’ll see.
But that was my illustrious weekend.
These Friday night phone calls are getting to be a bit like Friday night dinners at the Gilmore house…tedious and pain in the butt. lol
Seriously, I think all the people in my life have decided that since hey, Jana’s a loser at home every Friday night we’ll just call her then. Never mind that Jana might like her Friday nights in peace. *rolls eyes*
No, I don’t actually mind it all that much since really the only two people who call me then are my best friend and my oldest sister. The best friend called to remind me of her misery. lol Her MIL is coming to visit them for a month. I wished her well and promised to either visit her in prison or come to her funeral…whichever action was required. hehehe
I’m not entirely certain why Sis1 called other than to make sure I was still breathing. My mom had told her about the wicked night I had with my old pal, acid reflux, and she was worried. I guess that was sweet.
But that’s like the second Friday night in a row that those same two people have called me. Wonder what’s up with that…
Saturday was pretty okay. Got up early and the folks and I went westward to visit with Sis2 and her dh. We got there at 9am. BIL was still in the shower. He should know by now that we’re not the sort of people to waste that kind of gas just to come in time to eat. hehehe
But we talked and talked and talked and made fun of each other and then Sis2 put her dh to work in the kitchen. hehehe That girl…I know I was so hard on her dh when they first married and there were times when I just really didn’t like him all that much…but she got her a man who can cook! She’s not so dumb after all. hehehehe
So yeah, he cooked baked beans and then put some ribs, chicken and corn on the cob on the grill. All Sis2 had to do was mix up the cole slaw.
And man, it was good, too. The ribs were a little fatty but I can’t fault Goofus for that. He didn’t fatten the hog…he just cooked it. hehe
And then there was pie. Yes…Goofus baked a pie. A scrumptious peanut butter pie which had I not been in the company of family, I’d have moaned. Yeah. It was just that good.
Then after lunch we talked and talked and talked some more. We didn’t dare step outside to do anything though because it was so bloomin’ hot. They have neighbors, besides, so you couldn’t do anything raucous anyhow. Which is weird because they almost literally live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest towns in either direction are 20-30 minutes away. They’re like this little subdivision that’s plopped down amidst the hills and kudzoo. *shrugs*
Speaking of the kudzoo, though, I don’t know if any of ya’ll have ever seen it or know what I’m talking about, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the next time we went, the houses were overtaken with the stuff. lol It’s grown so much since the last time we were there that the sign to their subdivision is just about overgrown and we nearly missed our turn.
Dumbest thing the south’s ever done…bringin’ in kudzoo.
Though, I must say, it’s actually pretty cool to look at. The way it overgrows trees, bushes and pretty much anything standing still long enough, it’s really fun to stare at it and try to make out shapes. There’s this stretch of road going to my parents’ house that when I was a kid, I used to imagine that they big leafy shapes were sleeping dinosaurs that came alive at night when everyone was sleeping. hehehe
When I finally got home Saturday night, I slurped a slimfast and popped in a DVD. I needed to do laundry but…Ugh! I was toooo tired. All that talking, eating and driving just really wore me out.
Oh, and I also finished a book ending my three week reading draught. Yay me! lol
Sunday brought it’s own brand of confusion. You know, the whole church dilemma. *sigh* Sometimes I think it’d just be easier to give up the notion of finding a church home and either abandon the whole church thing altogether or just settle for less than perfect. I know neither of those options are what I’m being led to do and I want to be obedient but it’s so hard.
So anyway, I decided to try something new. My aunt had been inviting me to her church for months but for some reason (fear) I never went. Well, I didn’t want to go to the church I’d been going to and I didn’t want the hassle of driving out to my folks’ church so I decided to try my aunt’s church.
So I did. I wasn't quite sure where, exactly, the church was. It's sort of stuck off out in the land beyond (this whole little sub-world) town. This tiny little church in the back of beyond (same county as me) supposedly just 15 minutes from my house.
Though I've been there once before, that one time was EONS ago. Like, “Jana was still in high school”, ago. But I had some general directions so I checked the water in my car (stupid radiator can't hold its water!), said a prayer and drove.
And drove. And drove. And drove some more. I swear, if I ever decide I want to get lost I'll drive out thata way. lol Just when I thought I was about to drive off the edge of the earth there it was! Like, BAM! Smack in the middle of two houses so I almost missed it and nearly had the person behind me (yeah, even in back of beyond there are tailgaters) slam into me when I yanked the wheel to turn. lol
I'll admit, I did actually park and check to see if my aunt's car was there and when I didn't see it I pulled out and headed home. I got maybe half a mile away when I "heard" the Lord tell I was being a stupid head and to just go back. So I did. I went back.
Walked in (totally clueless and bit scared) and this man who I assumed was the pastor comes up to me and introduces himself. I told him my name and who my aunt is. He looked at me blankly and I'm thinking, "Oh crap. I'm at the wrong church" when some kind gentleman behind me says, "Oh, she's gone on to the back."
It's then that I look up and see my cousin, B, standing just inside the sanctuary grinnin' for all he's worth, the dork. He coulda come up and rescued me. Instead, he tells me after we sit down (quite cheekily, I might add) that the man I'd clumsily introduced myself to was actually the revival preacher.
Yeah, they were in revival. *sigh* And man, was it hot in there. My aunt was tickled that I came, though, and that made me feel good. She’s one of my favorite aunt. The aunt who’s always been like a second mama to me. She doesn’t favor either of my sisters either so that goes a long way towards endearing her to me. lol
So yeah, the sermon was good, what time I wasn’t sweating like a hog at the slaughterhouse. (bad mental image?) hehe
I still don’t know that this is where I’m supposed to be but I may go back a couple more times still.
I guess I’m just waiting and praying to find the sort of church home I had when I was a child. The kind of experience where when you walk in it feels like home. Like you’ve been there forever. And it’s scary to think that that sort of thing may not exist anymore. That the church (in general terms) has become so much of the world that there isn’t a place like that for me any longer.
But at what point to do decide to throw in the towel and just settle for a vagrant type of church life?
*shakes head*
I suppose that’s something I’ll have to discover on my own (with Jesus) at some point in the future.
At any rate, my aunt invited me to stay for the lunch the church was having after the service but by that time I was tired and getting cranky so I opted not to. I think she was disappointed and I feel bad about that but…You know me. I’m not a social gal on a good day.
So after I got home, I watched TV and read a book and then got busy doing the laundry that I neglected Saturday night. I kept meaning to haul my lazy butt off the couch and go to town to buy groceries but never made it. Which means I’ve got to go this afternoon or I’ll be out of toilet paper in a short while. Can’t be without toilet paper.
Last night, of course, was a better TV night as both Big Brother All Stars and The 4400 came on. I thought my favorite A&E series Flip This House was back with new shows and I suppose it is, but it’s a different team and I was put out because I liked the Trademark Properties team from last season. *shrugs* Maybe I’ll decide I like the new team. I dunno. Guess we’ll see.
But that was my illustrious weekend.
Comments