I Want My Quiet Back, Darnit!

You know I said my peaceful neighborhood wasn't so peaceful anymore? Turns out, muscial instraments are the least of my problems. *sigh*

The little lakeside lot so recently vacated has been taken over by a family with no respect for quiet living at the lake. Grrrr... I don't know if they've bought the place or are some of the old lady's kids who volunteered to clean the lot up for her or what, but by darn they need to learn some respect for peaceful living.

First of all, they drive in every night after 5p.m. with their loud trucks, tool around with their loud ATV and crank up their loud grass cutting equipment. PLUS, they bring their kids out there and the kids proceed to run screaming up and down the road, stand at the end of my driveway and stare at me when I'm outside with Libby and when they aren't doing that I can hear them bickering back and forth. "You did too, do that." "No, I didn't." "Yes you did. I saw you that time. Mom make her stop." Mom ignores it and does whatever fool activity she and the Dad are doing. Last night it was pulling up Mimosa trees by the root using their truck. Does it make me a horrible person that I think it'd be hysterically funny if she overpunched the gas, the tree came up too easy and she backed her truck into the lake??

Probably. Do I care? Not at the moment, no.

You know, for five years I never heard a peep out of anyone out there. Our little lakeside community were made up of people who enjoyed quiet living, keeping to ourselves and the loudest noise being the squawks of the geese as they played on the water each morning. Oh, and crickets. Lots and lots of crickets. Crickets, I can handle. And the squirrels are fun to watch. The birds were a pretty aspect and the bunnies were a delight. I didn't even mind the occassional visits from all the neighborhood dogs.

But people?? Not so much. People tend to grate my nerves, tighten the skin across my forehead and turn my smile upside down. People are thoughtless creatures who make a lot of senseless noise and make nuisances of themselves. People think that just because they can't see their neighbor their neighbor can't hear all the noise their making. I'd love to go door to door and demonstrate how much noise carries in the country.

I miss my hermit days. I really regret not having followed through on buying my cousin's house when they sold it a couple of years ago. It would have been perfect. It sat smack in the middle of a grove of trees with a creek running along behind it and the neighbors weren't seen nor heard. Sucks to be poor. *sigh*

Oh, and Libby is happy to report that I was the one who made the mess last night. Fortunately she was in her crate when I did it. No, I didn't go potty on the floor. I had just poored a glass of juice (V8 Slash Smoothie Tropical Colada blend), set the cup on the microwave cart behind me and decided to straighten some of the stuff in the fridge. My elbow caught the top of the cup and sent it splattering all over the floor. Thankfully the cup was plastic but my kitchen got a thorough wash of V8 Slash Smoothie Tropical Colada blend. Several papertowels and a Swiffer Wetjet pad later and I had it cleaned. Well, mostly. Libby found a little puddle by the garbage can. No problem though. She cleaned it up for me. LOL

Now, to add to the craziness, by boss is out the rest of this week. Not normally an issue but a long term researcher chose TODAY to show up to begin four weeks of in depth research which means I'm the lucky duck who gets to look for and pull all the stuff he's interested in looking at. I think my boss planned it this way. *pout*

That's on top of the meeting I have tomorrow (some senseless workshop thingie that I wasn't actually invited to but that my boss wants me to attend), the dentist appointment tomorrow afternoon AND the extra ref. desk hours I'll be covering. Oh, and I have to work over on Friday to cover.

Where's a good hideaway when you need one?

Comments

Heather said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said…
People tend to grate my nerves, tighten the skin across my forehead and turn my smile upside down. People are thoughtless creatures who make a lot of senseless noise and make nuisances of themselves. People think that just because they can't see their neighbor, their neighbor can't hear all the noise [they're] making.

Tell me about it! I grow tired of hearing my upstairs neighbors all the time. Aside from the dog, we rarely ever heard the people up there before them, but this couple...I swear neither one knows how to walk, and it's obvious they don't care who might hear what or how much the noise might bother their neighbors. Not just me, but the people next to and across from them.

As for your situation...I wonder if those parents realize how much their hellions are disturbing the local wildlife, as well as the neighbors -- or if it would make any difference if they did? In any case, it's thoughtless to let them bicker and shriek like banshees all the time.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today