Uh...

My brain is FRIED. Totally FRIED. That's what happens when you do your job, right? Cuz that's about all I've been doing lately. Working on special projects for work.

One thing I've learned over the past couple of days is, I suck at making small talk. *sigh* One of the bigger projects I worked on was with a graduate student from another department who came over to help us with some items that we were having a hard time processing because we've never done anything like it before. So I got assigned to work with this fella. He tried his BEST to engage me in conversation while we worked and I was at a total loss. I'd answer his questions (How's your day been? Hectic. Do you like this job? Somedays. Are you a graduate student? No.) and then that's it. No follow up, no cute anecdote or any questions of my own. Basically I just nodded, smiled and focused on work. Doh!

You know, I realize that's probably why I never get asked out. It isn't because I'm fat or ugly or unintersting. It's because I seem uninterested. Or stupid. Or stupid and uninteresting.

Not that I'm saying the dude was trying to pick me up or anything like that. I'm almost positive that he wasn't in the least. But you know, if I can't interact and make conversation with someone who ISN'T interested in me, what hope do I have of engaging someone who IS?

And I got totally tongue-tied with a cute researcher yesterday. Oy! He was thanking me for pulling some material for him and I said, "You're problem." *rolls eyes and sighs* It was a cross between You're welcome and No problem. I'm sure he was super impressed with my conversational skills as well.

I blame my parents for not properly socializing me. hehehehe

But, I DID have a great highlight today. My crush joined us (Bren and me) for coffee this morning. We were all in really great moods and laughed and talked and stuff. Not that I think he has a crush on ME but it was still nice to laugh with someone I like.

Lord. Now I sound like a pre-teen.

Crushes do, however, tend to reduce me to a giggling like a silly 13-year-old. hehehehe

An annoyance though is people expecting me to know things that they never bothered to tell me. I apparently tresspassed on another sub-department's materials yesterday. Pardon me for assuming that because they were shelved with my sub-department's materials that they were ours. I was promptly told that I wasn't to be pulling that material. That was, of course, AFTER I'd pulled 16 boxes of materials. And getting all sweaty and dirty for nuthin'.

And I've decided that I want to move to a remote place in the woods with no neighbors. I swear, I always felt like my little house was secluded enough. But since I've had to start taking a dog out at regular intervals I've noticed that I'm not nearly as secluded as I thought I was. My neighbors have started *eek* waving at me when they see me out there.

And me outside with the dog? Not so pretty. We're talkin' sloppy ponytail, ragged shorts and t-shirt, ratty flip-flops and me not so quietly urging Libby to "hurry up and make poo-poo." Yeah.

Not. Pretty.

But I've never really liked the idea of having neighbors I can see. I grew up in the deep recesses of the country where we couldn't see our neighbor's house unless we topped the hill that led to it. And in the five years I've lived in my current home I've never had neighbors who I saw much beyond them getting out of their vehicle and going inside their house. Seemed we all loved our privacy and secluded feeling. But the neighbors I have now? They like to take walks around the neighborhood and wave at people. I just hope they never decide to actually speek! :-O

Comments

Heather said…
Ah, Jana...I feel your conversational pain but - it's not completely your fault small talk went nowhere with the grad student. One of the first things we learned in a pre-rush sorority meeting was not to ask yes or no questions. Phrase a question so it is open-ended, forcing the other person to actually think about the question and respond accordingly. So instead of asking if you liked your job he should have asked, "What do you like most about your job?"

And I dare ya to answer it accordingly. ;-)
Danica Favorite said…
<-- Social idiot here as well.

You know, if my praying for enemies deal doesn't work out so well, I'm all for blowing them up and moving to a small, hurricane-free tropical island where their remnants won't bother me anymore. You're invited to come, too. I won't make you do any small talk. :)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today