Moo
Just call me cow cuz I grazed so much this weekend that I gained a pound. lol
It all started Friday night with a trip to Applebee's with Sis1. I ordered the shrimp and sirloin parm with the garlic potatoes...and the works. I nearly swooned right there in the restaurant, it was so good. (Though they could have kept the broccoli. Honestly, if you aren't going to smother it in cheese, why bother putting it on the plate?) Unfortunately, I was too stuffed to get a pretzel when we got to the movie theater. Bummer. I love the garlic pretzels. Yum.
Saw Flicka per Sis1's unhealthy obsession with Tim McGraw. He's too skinny if you ask me and not terribly sexy without the hat. BUT, I gotta give him props for the gorgeous rippling muscles beneath his shirts. Especially with that one scene when he's wearing a white t-shirt. Mmm...mm good.
hehe
Movie was good, though. Somewhat a tearjerker. Your standard "girl loves animal, tension because of girl's love of animal, animal almost dies but miraculously recovers and all is right with the world" film. Not exactly original but an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours. I saw a lot of places in the film that I'd have loved to expanded on. Like some of the scenes with the girl and one of the ranch hands. I'd have loved to have written in a little side plot with the two of them falling for each other. The potential was there. But the focus was on the horse so no romance sideplot. *snore*
Wonder of wonders, Tim McGraw can actually act! Who knew? I mean, he's no Joaquin Phoenix but the man's got chops. I never saw Friday Night Lights so I wasn't sure if all the hype was for real (though it IS slightly overrated) but he's actually pretty good. The horse was marginally better but he's had more training, I'm sure.
After we left the movie, we had to go pick Emmy up from her in-laws which entailed a short visit with them. Don't get me wrong. I like her in-laws. They're good folks. Never unkind. But I'm slightly out of my element with them and don't always really know how to behave in their company. Plus, I always seem to sense a slight bit of resentment from them. Her step-mother-in-law, especially, because Sis1 uses me a fair amount as an excuse to get out of doing things with them AND because Emmy gets so excited to see me and is always ready to go. Like she's jealous because Emmy and I are so close. Could be all in my imagination, of course. My own discomfort with them bleeding into a misinterpretation of their reaction to me. Again. They're always nice to me so that's more than likely it.
Anyway, once we finally got home, it was closing in on the 10:00 mark. I was tired and still had to put together the dessert I'd assigned myself to carry out to the folks' house Saturday night. I would have nixed the project except I was already looking forward to sampling it and I know it's one of my dad's favorite treats. Mini-chocolate lined cherry cheesecakes. (Mini phyllo shells coated in chocolate, filled with instant no-bake cheesecake and topped with a marschiano cherry) Needless to say, I was up to nearly midnight getting it done with Emmy's "assistence" and Libby's trying to get my attention. Very fun.
And when I finally did get to go to bed, I had to share with Emmy (who refuses to sleep alone in my house for some reason) and spent most of the night hugging the edge of the bed, a sweaty child pressed against my back. I finally got up around four in the morning and crawled in the other spare bed. Emmy didn't know I was gone so she didn't care. I, however, couldn't get to sleep. Just as I dosed off, I jerked awake to find the clock on 6:30...the time I had to get up in order to be at my folks' house at the allotted time--8:00. (My mom's instructions.)
I didn't make it till closer to 8:30, though. Trying to get a puppy fed, a child up and dressed, coffee made, a bag packed and loaded and not to mention all the puppy paraphernalia...8:00 didn't happen. 'Specially since Sis1 wasn't much help. She didn't have to be out there that early because she had alternate plans. And as usual, she was parked on the couch with her coffee instructing Emmy on what she needed to do. Left up to her, Emmy would've still been in bed at 8:30. I ended up having to go toss Libby on the bed with her to get her up.
But we did make it there and I got the car unloaded and was moving it out of the way when Sis2 and her dh pulled up. So I wasn't really late since the goal was to get there the same time as Sis2. hehehe
The plans were that the girls (me, Mama, Sis2 and Emmy) would ditch the dudes (Daddy and Goofus) and go antiquing at this little place in town. You know, the guys go do their own thing and we'd meet back at the house for lunch later. Unfortunately we erroneously miscalculated just how attached to her hip that Goofus is because the antiquing turned into a group affair with the men disparaging everything about the little antique shop. I mean, honestly. Would it have been THAT BAD for him to go TWO HOURS with her out of his sight? I swear. I'd smother were I married to a fella like that. I mean, sometimes a girl just needs to get AWAY from men and menly behaviors.
Despite them, though, we had fun. Sis2 spent some of her birthday money on a couple of cute pieces, I managed to make fun of Goofus to his face a bit (we were admiring some teapots and he showed us one he was proud to find and I gleefully pointed out to him that it was a kettle and not a pot. hehehe), and nobody got into any arguments. So it was cool.
By the time we got back to the house we were all starving. Mama had made beef stew, chicken-n-dumplings and chili before we left so we loaded up on that. And chips, and cookies, and candy corn and pretzles and cheesecakes and well, you get the picture. Grazing continued throughout the day and evening. Sis1 showed not long after we got back and from there on out it was a loud affair. (Not only does she talk incessantly, but she talks OVER everyone else. Takes after our great grandma, bless her heart. lol)
The grandparents got there around 4:30 or 5 and the bonfire got started. (Yeah, the rain did finally go away Friday afternoon and Saturday was brilliantly beautiful.) More eating (hotdogs, chips, potato salad, slaw, s'mores, candy, turtle chex mix, etc.) commenced. The usual. Then when our grandparents left, we folded up into the back of Daddy's truck (yeah, it was dried out) and went for our regular ride through the hills covered in blankets and coats. Somehow we loaded in wrong though because I ended up sitting on both of Goofus's feet rendering them useless and Emmy ended up with a whole big spot to herself. In fact, she was about the only one comfortable. So comfortable, in fact, that she went to sleep on the way back and slept clear through the rest of the night. (Not in the truck. We did manage to get her in the house and in her jammies. hehehe)
Sunday dawned bright and far too early. Mama and Daddy had gotten up around 6 (like old folks do. hehehehe) and had let Libby out of her crate to go potty. Well, you know, Libby came searching me out and rousted me from bed at 6:30. Far far too early for a Sunday morning. But she made up for it in sugars. lol
What time we weren't in church we were eating some more. Big breakfast, leftovers for lunch, snacks, etc. I swear. I feel as though all I did all weekend was eat. And eat. And eat.
But it was fun. Both the eating and the family. I only got frustrated a couple of times and even Emmy complimented me on being so well behaved. hehehehe She kept saying, "We haven't argued like we usually do. We've been really good, huh?"
And I suppose we were. Guess I should start eating more, huh? Who knew food could mellow me out so much?
When my brain isn't so bleepin' fried, maybe I'll recall another couple of funny anecdotes. ;-)
It all started Friday night with a trip to Applebee's with Sis1. I ordered the shrimp and sirloin parm with the garlic potatoes...and the works. I nearly swooned right there in the restaurant, it was so good. (Though they could have kept the broccoli. Honestly, if you aren't going to smother it in cheese, why bother putting it on the plate?) Unfortunately, I was too stuffed to get a pretzel when we got to the movie theater. Bummer. I love the garlic pretzels. Yum.
Saw Flicka per Sis1's unhealthy obsession with Tim McGraw. He's too skinny if you ask me and not terribly sexy without the hat. BUT, I gotta give him props for the gorgeous rippling muscles beneath his shirts. Especially with that one scene when he's wearing a white t-shirt. Mmm...mm good.
hehe
Movie was good, though. Somewhat a tearjerker. Your standard "girl loves animal, tension because of girl's love of animal, animal almost dies but miraculously recovers and all is right with the world" film. Not exactly original but an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours. I saw a lot of places in the film that I'd have loved to expanded on. Like some of the scenes with the girl and one of the ranch hands. I'd have loved to have written in a little side plot with the two of them falling for each other. The potential was there. But the focus was on the horse so no romance sideplot. *snore*
Wonder of wonders, Tim McGraw can actually act! Who knew? I mean, he's no Joaquin Phoenix but the man's got chops. I never saw Friday Night Lights so I wasn't sure if all the hype was for real (though it IS slightly overrated) but he's actually pretty good. The horse was marginally better but he's had more training, I'm sure.
After we left the movie, we had to go pick Emmy up from her in-laws which entailed a short visit with them. Don't get me wrong. I like her in-laws. They're good folks. Never unkind. But I'm slightly out of my element with them and don't always really know how to behave in their company. Plus, I always seem to sense a slight bit of resentment from them. Her step-mother-in-law, especially, because Sis1 uses me a fair amount as an excuse to get out of doing things with them AND because Emmy gets so excited to see me and is always ready to go. Like she's jealous because Emmy and I are so close. Could be all in my imagination, of course. My own discomfort with them bleeding into a misinterpretation of their reaction to me. Again. They're always nice to me so that's more than likely it.
Anyway, once we finally got home, it was closing in on the 10:00 mark. I was tired and still had to put together the dessert I'd assigned myself to carry out to the folks' house Saturday night. I would have nixed the project except I was already looking forward to sampling it and I know it's one of my dad's favorite treats. Mini-chocolate lined cherry cheesecakes. (Mini phyllo shells coated in chocolate, filled with instant no-bake cheesecake and topped with a marschiano cherry) Needless to say, I was up to nearly midnight getting it done with Emmy's "assistence" and Libby's trying to get my attention. Very fun.
And when I finally did get to go to bed, I had to share with Emmy (who refuses to sleep alone in my house for some reason) and spent most of the night hugging the edge of the bed, a sweaty child pressed against my back. I finally got up around four in the morning and crawled in the other spare bed. Emmy didn't know I was gone so she didn't care. I, however, couldn't get to sleep. Just as I dosed off, I jerked awake to find the clock on 6:30...the time I had to get up in order to be at my folks' house at the allotted time--8:00. (My mom's instructions.)
I didn't make it till closer to 8:30, though. Trying to get a puppy fed, a child up and dressed, coffee made, a bag packed and loaded and not to mention all the puppy paraphernalia...8:00 didn't happen. 'Specially since Sis1 wasn't much help. She didn't have to be out there that early because she had alternate plans. And as usual, she was parked on the couch with her coffee instructing Emmy on what she needed to do. Left up to her, Emmy would've still been in bed at 8:30. I ended up having to go toss Libby on the bed with her to get her up.
But we did make it there and I got the car unloaded and was moving it out of the way when Sis2 and her dh pulled up. So I wasn't really late since the goal was to get there the same time as Sis2. hehehe
The plans were that the girls (me, Mama, Sis2 and Emmy) would ditch the dudes (Daddy and Goofus) and go antiquing at this little place in town. You know, the guys go do their own thing and we'd meet back at the house for lunch later. Unfortunately we erroneously miscalculated just how attached to her hip that Goofus is because the antiquing turned into a group affair with the men disparaging everything about the little antique shop. I mean, honestly. Would it have been THAT BAD for him to go TWO HOURS with her out of his sight? I swear. I'd smother were I married to a fella like that. I mean, sometimes a girl just needs to get AWAY from men and menly behaviors.
Despite them, though, we had fun. Sis2 spent some of her birthday money on a couple of cute pieces, I managed to make fun of Goofus to his face a bit (we were admiring some teapots and he showed us one he was proud to find and I gleefully pointed out to him that it was a kettle and not a pot. hehehe), and nobody got into any arguments. So it was cool.
By the time we got back to the house we were all starving. Mama had made beef stew, chicken-n-dumplings and chili before we left so we loaded up on that. And chips, and cookies, and candy corn and pretzles and cheesecakes and well, you get the picture. Grazing continued throughout the day and evening. Sis1 showed not long after we got back and from there on out it was a loud affair. (Not only does she talk incessantly, but she talks OVER everyone else. Takes after our great grandma, bless her heart. lol)
The grandparents got there around 4:30 or 5 and the bonfire got started. (Yeah, the rain did finally go away Friday afternoon and Saturday was brilliantly beautiful.) More eating (hotdogs, chips, potato salad, slaw, s'mores, candy, turtle chex mix, etc.) commenced. The usual. Then when our grandparents left, we folded up into the back of Daddy's truck (yeah, it was dried out) and went for our regular ride through the hills covered in blankets and coats. Somehow we loaded in wrong though because I ended up sitting on both of Goofus's feet rendering them useless and Emmy ended up with a whole big spot to herself. In fact, she was about the only one comfortable. So comfortable, in fact, that she went to sleep on the way back and slept clear through the rest of the night. (Not in the truck. We did manage to get her in the house and in her jammies. hehehe)
Sunday dawned bright and far too early. Mama and Daddy had gotten up around 6 (like old folks do. hehehehe) and had let Libby out of her crate to go potty. Well, you know, Libby came searching me out and rousted me from bed at 6:30. Far far too early for a Sunday morning. But she made up for it in sugars. lol
What time we weren't in church we were eating some more. Big breakfast, leftovers for lunch, snacks, etc. I swear. I feel as though all I did all weekend was eat. And eat. And eat.
But it was fun. Both the eating and the family. I only got frustrated a couple of times and even Emmy complimented me on being so well behaved. hehehehe She kept saying, "We haven't argued like we usually do. We've been really good, huh?"
And I suppose we were. Guess I should start eating more, huh? Who knew food could mellow me out so much?
When my brain isn't so bleepin' fried, maybe I'll recall another couple of funny anecdotes. ;-)
Comments
*Snicker*
Glad you enjoyed the movie and had a good time on your ghostly ride through the hills!