Tree Traditions
I done been TAGGED!
When do you put up your tree? When I was a young’un, we always put our tree up two weeks prior to the BIG DAY. We always had a live tree. Big (not enourmous, but at least 6 feet) cedars. Sometime in the middle of my teen years, the live tree shrunk to a three or four footer and then morphed into a four foot artificial and then when I was in college finally settled into a 5 foot artificial that we started putting up the day after Thanksgiving. Now that I’m out on my own (for the past 4 years, 5 if you count this one) I have a little three footer that sets on a table in front of the front window. I try to put it up either the day after Thanksgiving if possible. If not, then that weekend or at some point the week after.
How do you decorate it, colors, white lights, colored lights? I have a mix of ornaments that I inherited from my parents, and some new ones I’ve either bought or been given as gifts. I (like my dad) prefer the colored lights that “dance.” Just plain ol’ flashin’ ain’t good enough for me. hehehehe
Do you have a tradition to decorating the tree? It’s a big complicated ordeal in which I have to dig the “Christmas Boxes” out from under one of the spare beds and unpack them and then I clear out all the “Junk” from my surfaces putting them into the Christmas boxes for storage. THEN I decorate the tree first before tackling the rest of the house decorations. (It usually looks like a complete and udder mess for a couple of hours and then I’m exhausted by the time I’m done. LOL)
Angel or a star on top? For YEARS my family always had a star. Then one year Mama decided she was sick of that star and bought the GAUDIEST angel I’d ever laid eyes on. I think it hung around throughout college until Sis2 had had enough of it and bought a pretty white one. So guess what Jana inherited when she first moved out? You bet. That gaudy angel Mama had bought. It lasted me through my first Christmas before I bought my current pink lace one at an after Christmas sale.
Do you like a big tree or small tree? I’d love to have a big humongous tree. A 6 footer at least. BUT, not only don’t I have the room for one, but I don’t have enough ornaments for it either. Nor could I afford on. *sigh* Once of these years…
Do you color co-ordinate the tree? ROFL Nope. The messier, more eclectic the better. Sis2 hates looking at my tree because I like for it to look like a kid did it. (And a kid DOES do it. ME! hehehe)Beads or garland? Neither. I can’t ever get it to look right.
Nativity set? Bought my first good set last year. It’s not the big one that I wanted but it’s still lovely. I give it a place of honor atop my entertainment center. Do you decorate the outside of the house or apartment? Last year was the first year I did anything on the outside. I strung some garland and lights around the outside porch door. Looked a little goofy, but then you have to realize who lives there, right? LOL
What's your favorite ornament? I can’t say that I have a favorite. Nearly all of them have some special memory behind them Whether it’s merely remembering the days I used to hang it on the family tree, or it was given to me by someone special. I love them all.
Do you have ornaments handed down from generation to generation? Nope. My mother’s family moved around so much (preacher’s family) that they lost most of the ones she had as a child. (Once Pa-paw finally allowed them to HAVE a tree, that is.) and my dad’s family, they’ve always changed out their themes from year to year. *shrugs*
Thanks, Trix, for the tag. It was kinda fun!
When do you put up your tree? When I was a young’un, we always put our tree up two weeks prior to the BIG DAY. We always had a live tree. Big (not enourmous, but at least 6 feet) cedars. Sometime in the middle of my teen years, the live tree shrunk to a three or four footer and then morphed into a four foot artificial and then when I was in college finally settled into a 5 foot artificial that we started putting up the day after Thanksgiving. Now that I’m out on my own (for the past 4 years, 5 if you count this one) I have a little three footer that sets on a table in front of the front window. I try to put it up either the day after Thanksgiving if possible. If not, then that weekend or at some point the week after.
How do you decorate it, colors, white lights, colored lights? I have a mix of ornaments that I inherited from my parents, and some new ones I’ve either bought or been given as gifts. I (like my dad) prefer the colored lights that “dance.” Just plain ol’ flashin’ ain’t good enough for me. hehehehe
Do you have a tradition to decorating the tree? It’s a big complicated ordeal in which I have to dig the “Christmas Boxes” out from under one of the spare beds and unpack them and then I clear out all the “Junk” from my surfaces putting them into the Christmas boxes for storage. THEN I decorate the tree first before tackling the rest of the house decorations. (It usually looks like a complete and udder mess for a couple of hours and then I’m exhausted by the time I’m done. LOL)
Angel or a star on top? For YEARS my family always had a star. Then one year Mama decided she was sick of that star and bought the GAUDIEST angel I’d ever laid eyes on. I think it hung around throughout college until Sis2 had had enough of it and bought a pretty white one. So guess what Jana inherited when she first moved out? You bet. That gaudy angel Mama had bought. It lasted me through my first Christmas before I bought my current pink lace one at an after Christmas sale.
Do you like a big tree or small tree? I’d love to have a big humongous tree. A 6 footer at least. BUT, not only don’t I have the room for one, but I don’t have enough ornaments for it either. Nor could I afford on. *sigh* Once of these years…
Do you color co-ordinate the tree? ROFL Nope. The messier, more eclectic the better. Sis2 hates looking at my tree because I like for it to look like a kid did it. (And a kid DOES do it. ME! hehehe)Beads or garland? Neither. I can’t ever get it to look right.
Nativity set? Bought my first good set last year. It’s not the big one that I wanted but it’s still lovely. I give it a place of honor atop my entertainment center. Do you decorate the outside of the house or apartment? Last year was the first year I did anything on the outside. I strung some garland and lights around the outside porch door. Looked a little goofy, but then you have to realize who lives there, right? LOL
What's your favorite ornament? I can’t say that I have a favorite. Nearly all of them have some special memory behind them Whether it’s merely remembering the days I used to hang it on the family tree, or it was given to me by someone special. I love them all.
Do you have ornaments handed down from generation to generation? Nope. My mother’s family moved around so much (preacher’s family) that they lost most of the ones she had as a child. (Once Pa-paw finally allowed them to HAVE a tree, that is.) and my dad’s family, they’ve always changed out their themes from year to year. *shrugs*
Thanks, Trix, for the tag. It was kinda fun!
Comments