On Writing
I like dialogue. I like to read it and I more than love to write it. But apparently, you have to have some physical cues in there. Bummer. I just love the banter of characters. Nothing tickles me more than getting my characters to have the sort of conversations I can only have with people in my head. Or on the Internet. I'm much lamer in person. Trust me. I usually go away from a conversation mentally slapping my forehead and asking myself, "Could you BE any lamer?"
But yeah. I was just over at Jenny Crusie's blog and she's talking about how the first scene with Zelda (the character in the novel she's currently working on) is dialogue heavy and how in the re-writes/second draft she'll have to cut some of it and add some physical cues.
I love Crusie novels. I do. So I'm sure she knows what she's talking about. But I love dialogue. How it moves the story along. Seeing the characters interact and relate to each other. I get stuck in physical cues. Mostly because I just don't care what they're doing while their talking. Unless it's absolutely necessary. Besides. I can see their actions in my head as I'm writing their dialogue. I suppose I just forget that not everyone can see inside my head. Thank God.
But then, I chafe at the thought of following ANY of the rules I've learned so far about writing. Totally sucks the joy out of it. I think from now on I'm just going to have to say to heck with the rules and just write like no one will ever read it. Likely no one ever will anyhow. Unless someone specifically asks. In which case I might share. But I'll try really hard not to care whether or not they like what write. Or can't see what the characters are doing while they're bantering.
hehehe
And yes, this is me getting my mind off of real life obsessions. Maybe I'll write a short story 'bout me n him and see how it plays out. Hey, if real life doesn't work the way you want it to, write your own version. Right?
I'm trying this whole "relax" concept that Trix recommended. Not sure if I'm going about it the right way but I'm going to do it if it kills me.
hehehe
But yeah. I was just over at Jenny Crusie's blog and she's talking about how the first scene with Zelda (the character in the novel she's currently working on) is dialogue heavy and how in the re-writes/second draft she'll have to cut some of it and add some physical cues.
I love Crusie novels. I do. So I'm sure she knows what she's talking about. But I love dialogue. How it moves the story along. Seeing the characters interact and relate to each other. I get stuck in physical cues. Mostly because I just don't care what they're doing while their talking. Unless it's absolutely necessary. Besides. I can see their actions in my head as I'm writing their dialogue. I suppose I just forget that not everyone can see inside my head. Thank God.
But then, I chafe at the thought of following ANY of the rules I've learned so far about writing. Totally sucks the joy out of it. I think from now on I'm just going to have to say to heck with the rules and just write like no one will ever read it. Likely no one ever will anyhow. Unless someone specifically asks. In which case I might share. But I'll try really hard not to care whether or not they like what write. Or can't see what the characters are doing while they're bantering.
hehehe
And yes, this is me getting my mind off of real life obsessions. Maybe I'll write a short story 'bout me n him and see how it plays out. Hey, if real life doesn't work the way you want it to, write your own version. Right?
I'm trying this whole "relax" concept that Trix recommended. Not sure if I'm going about it the right way but I'm going to do it if it kills me.
hehehe
Comments
Oh sure - put it all off on me, LOL. You do know how terrible I am at following my own advice...right? *WG*
I love ya anyway. ;-)