Plethora

I love that word. The way it rolls off the tongue. And the confused looks it garners from some, uh, less verbal? people.

hehehehe

So plethora describes my weekend. As in a plethora of junk. The word "gamut" comes to mind as well. As in, a gamut of emotion.

First up, Friday (why do I keep trying to spell it Firday?) night. I was back out at my grandparents house caring for Penny. Turns out Pa-Paw had some complications that have furthered his stay in the hospital. Nothing serious or life threatening, thank God, but enough to keep him from coming home. He was frustrated and irked. He had thought he would get to come home that day.

So I was at their house and Pa-Paw calls to check on me. Tells me he had asked a friend of his (a man we go to church with) to drive by at night to make sure I'm okay. I was okay alone at the house. I wasn't okay with this man driving by the house periodically keeping an eye on me. I didn't, of course, tell Pa-Paw that because he thought he was doing a good thing. I'm just uncomfortable at the idea of a man I hardly know a) knowing I'm there alone and b.) having the green light from my grandparents to spy on me. Did not sit well. I didn't tell Daddy about it either because he isn't so fond of this fella and I knew he'd likely say something to Pa-Paw about it and start WWIII. So I spent most of Friday night avoiding walking in front of windows and cautiously taking the girls outside.

Don't get me wrong. I don't NOT trust this person but you know, he's a stranger to me. Virtually, anyway. We go to the same church, yes, but we don't run in the same social circles. And he's, well, odd. Actually, he is a lot like "the preacher" except instead of running hot and cold in his notice of me, he just always runs on cold as in he will shake the hand of everyone on the same pew as me but will walk past me as though I'm not even standing there. Just strikes me as odd.

Anyway, so that was weird.

Saturday I was issued the okay to go home since Pa-Paw was sending Granny home to get some rest. I ended up going shopping with Mama. We went to a consignment store and bought Sis2 some maternity clothes. (Yep. It's that time already!) You know how fun it isn't to shop for maternity clothes when you aren't even pregnant?! LOL

But I did get lunch out of the deal. We ate Chinese and I got to use my Valentine's money that Daddy gave me. So it was cool that I didn't have to eat on it alone.

But boy was it nice to go home Saturday night. Well, once we got the place heated up. It was frigid when we got there. Libby was so worn out from all that playtime with Penny, though, that she sacked out on the couch and slept forever. Which means, kids...Mama got to read! heheheheh Yay!

Granny called yesterday morning, though, and it was back to the boonies for another night. Which was fine. I really don't mind. Their house is, at least, well heated. And the dogs really do have fun. But before I went out there, I went to church. Sis2 ditched Goofus for the day and came up on her own. So that was nice. I suppose. Or it would have been had I not felt so weird.

I mean, I know things have changed a lot since she got hitched and moved to that other planet (and yeah, the Delta is a whole other planet compared to the rest of the world!) but sometimes I find it almost impossible to reconcile this person with the sister I was always so closed to. It's as though she's changed into this woman I don't recognize and I'm not sure she recognizes me, either. And I realize that when she comes home it's a catharsis away from that other place and the life she chose and she can't help but be consumed with getting it all out. But. There are other people in the room, kiddo.

I'm being silly, I know. But that's how I felt yesterday.

In fact, the only thrill I got involved that silly man. Ugh! (I sooooo wish he'd just up and leave my fool head because he's going to drive me to drink!) And I'm so confused on all of it because a) I'm probably just reading more into it than there actually is b.) I'm not even sure I LIKE the man so why do I care one way or the other? and c) there's a lot of baggage there that I don't want to deal with. Baggage involving my sister. She very nearly dated him before she and goofus met and got hitched. I didn't know she was all that crazy about him until my mother said something about it the other day. (One of those things I got smacked in the face with.) I mean, I knew she had sort of liked him but I didn't realize she'd REALLY liked him. And he, apparently, really liked her as well. But nothing ever happened as in, they never went out. And then she met Goofus and before any of us could say "boo" she and Goofus was hitched!

So my thing is, do I really want to invest a lot of emotional time on a man who liked my sister first? (assumming, of course, that he actually DOES like me and I'm not reading more into it than there is.) I've always come in second to her, you know? A pinch hitter for her. It doesn't really sit well with me that the man on my mind these days liked her first.

But yesterday, she was at church with us and he barely acknowledged her. Usually he's so excited to see her that you'd think she was his long lost...something. But beyond a mild "Good to see you," he barely noticed her. Me, he asked me to wait around after church to meet his brother and sister-in-law who were visiting and considering joining the church. So. Huh. Not sure what to make of it all. Was he merely wanting to prove to his brother and sister-in-law that there is another person under the age of 50 in attendance or was there another possible reason? Being that I'm me and he's him I'm inclined to say it was the former. It is, after all, a preacher's job to recruit people to faith and build the church, right?

Although I did have a foolishly delicious moment that I haven't told anyone about. I'm such a pre-teen jr. high school girl but...hehehehe When I was coming back to the folks' house after letting Penny out, he and I passed each other. It was so weird because the thought had JUST entered my head that I bet he was on his way out and BAM! There he was. I waved, my mouth still wide open as I sang along to the radio and he waved back, a look of total confusion on his face. LOL (And why haven't I told anyone this? Well for the simple fact that I do NOT want my family to know what's going on in this foolish head of mine. At. All. It's difficult enough to deflect the speculation as it is. If they knew which way my thinking had swung I'd never hear the end of it! And to bring up the fact that I'd passed him would have had their eyebrows working overtime. I try to avoid the topic of him with them for that simple reason. I mean, honestly. You should have seen my mother's face light up and get all goofy when he insisted I stay to meet his brother and sister-in-law! Meanwhile I'm feeling a little lapdogish this morning as I realize that I stayed and sat at his command and when he hollered for me I went bouncing over, tail practiaclly wagging and honest to God giggled at the man. Lord! What am I coming to?)

Ugh! I promised myself I wouldn't obsess and what am I doing? Obsessing.

I need some good chocolate and a romance novel to get him out of my head. Sheesh!

At anyrate, (shoving him out of my head) I had a nice evening last night. The girls played hard, Desperate Housewives was GREAT! and while the morning came too soon, it did at least come. So yay!

Comments

Heather said…
Excellent vocabulary words, Jana! You know that at least I approve, lol.

As for the man, I wouldn't worry about you being a substitute for your sister. There is no substitute for YOU! I say relax and see where it goes...
;-)
Jana said…
Awe, shucks. Thanks, Trix. *blushes*

And I knew you would appreciate the vocabulary words. lol

Now, explain to me how this relaxing and seeing where it goes thing works. I'm confused.

hehehehehehe
Heather said…
ROFLMBO...guess I'm telling the wrong person to "relax," hmmm?
Jana said…
hehehehehe

Uh, yeah. ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today