Extra Steps
I sorely wish Bob and Jenny had left their He Wrote/She Wrote blog the way it was last year. I mean, I get that they want to be all professional and crap. I do. And that's good for those out there who want to learn to write a book ala Bob and Jenny style. But reading about writing?
There's a reason Jana hasn't gone back to get another degree in school. Why Jana doesn't frequent a lot of writing oriented threads and message boards. No, not because Jana thinks she knows it all and doesn't need to learn anything more. It's more like: Jana hates schoolin'.
I endured 12 years of primary education (grade school and high school) and four years of college because those were neccessary in the grand scheme of things. ie. Jana needed employment. But formal education--even that on a blog or message board--makes my eyes cross and no matter how great the teacher I get bored. Fast. I'm a do-er. Not a studier. I learn by doing. Anything I've learned about writing I learned by reading novels. Figuring out what works for me and what doesn't. And anything I've brought from that to my own writing was through trial and error. Again. What works for me.
So I'm not knocking Bob and Jenny's newest blogging endeavor. I just miss their old blog. Now in order to get the juicy deliciousness of their combined personalities I have visit their seperate blogs. I just now found Bob's though I've been reading Jenny's for quite some time.
(I'm talkin' 'bout Jenny Crusie and Bob Mayer, in case you're wondering.)
And to be quite honest, I thought their former blog a brilliant marketing tool. I'm not normally the "romantic adventure" reader. Would have probably thought twice about shelling out $20 of my hard earned money (or rather, the gift card I'd gotten for my birthday last year!) had I not already been so enamored of their blog collaboration. Seeing them in the process, hearing their snarking on each other and the earlier incarnations of Don't Look Down made me want to read it. No, made me HAVE to read it. Made me passionate about it so that I actually got angsty with Wal-Mart when it took them two days past the release date to stock the book.
While I'll still likely go out and buy their newest collaborative effort upon it's release, I won't be quite as anxious to read Agnes and the Hitman as I was Don't Look Down. And that makes me very very sad.
There's a reason Jana hasn't gone back to get another degree in school. Why Jana doesn't frequent a lot of writing oriented threads and message boards. No, not because Jana thinks she knows it all and doesn't need to learn anything more. It's more like: Jana hates schoolin'.
I endured 12 years of primary education (grade school and high school) and four years of college because those were neccessary in the grand scheme of things. ie. Jana needed employment. But formal education--even that on a blog or message board--makes my eyes cross and no matter how great the teacher I get bored. Fast. I'm a do-er. Not a studier. I learn by doing. Anything I've learned about writing I learned by reading novels. Figuring out what works for me and what doesn't. And anything I've brought from that to my own writing was through trial and error. Again. What works for me.
So I'm not knocking Bob and Jenny's newest blogging endeavor. I just miss their old blog. Now in order to get the juicy deliciousness of their combined personalities I have visit their seperate blogs. I just now found Bob's though I've been reading Jenny's for quite some time.
(I'm talkin' 'bout Jenny Crusie and Bob Mayer, in case you're wondering.)
And to be quite honest, I thought their former blog a brilliant marketing tool. I'm not normally the "romantic adventure" reader. Would have probably thought twice about shelling out $20 of my hard earned money (or rather, the gift card I'd gotten for my birthday last year!) had I not already been so enamored of their blog collaboration. Seeing them in the process, hearing their snarking on each other and the earlier incarnations of Don't Look Down made me want to read it. No, made me HAVE to read it. Made me passionate about it so that I actually got angsty with Wal-Mart when it took them two days past the release date to stock the book.
While I'll still likely go out and buy their newest collaborative effort upon it's release, I won't be quite as anxious to read Agnes and the Hitman as I was Don't Look Down. And that makes me very very sad.
Comments