Out of the Sludge
Isn’t it funny how true friends can go months without really talking and yet, the next time you call or see them it’s as though you’d never been apart? I’ve got a couple of friendships like that. We know we’re friends—true friends—but for whatever reason, we don’t get to talk or see each other for long periods of time. Not because we don’t care about one another or think about each other but because of LIFE.
I talked to one of those friends last night. She and I have known each other for what amounts to our whole lives (all through elementary, high school, college and post college as well as both working in the library) and recently she left the library to take a better paying full time job while pursuing her graduate degree. Now, she did all of this without really telling me anything about it. I found out through a mutual friend. It didn’t hurt or surprise me because she and I have always been this way. We live separate lives at peace with the knowledge that when we’re ready, we’ll reconnect.
I called her last night for some high school reunion business and it was really great how we just sort of slipped right into our friendship again—talking and laughing. I told her about the preacher man, she told me about the fella she’s been talking to. We got caught up on each other’s lives and I teased her about not telling me that she was leaving the library. It was just one of those really great conversations and I’m glad I called her.
During the course of the conversation, though, she told me that a mutual friend of ours has been asking around about me. I haven’t really spoken to or seen him in probably six years. And I gotta admit, there was a wee bit of a flirtation thing there for a while with him. In fact, he’s the only guy who has ever given me flowers, or a Valentine’s card or anything. Some of the sweetest moments of my life were because of him. He was always surprising me with sweet stuff.
But we never dated because, well, neither of us really felt comfortable taking it in that direction. We both have very different lives, different goals, and while I do love him I’ve never let myself be IN LOVE with him. I very easily could fall in love with him, but I won’t let myself. So it’s with mixed feelings that I told her to tell him to call me. *sigh*
I so don’t want to get that can of worms opened up again. My best friend gets so frustrated with me because of the whole mess. She’s all for me and him as a couple. And she knows all the reasons why it’s a bad idea and why I refuse to go down that road. So not only would he and I be playing with fire but I’ll have to listen to her lectures again on being chicken crap. (Which it basically boils down to.)
All that said, I really would love to reconnect with him if for no other reason than to make sure that he’s okay. Despite the time and distance and all the other crap that rained on our parade I do still care for him and hope that he’s got the life he always dreamed of.
Since when did my life become such a drama of men? I swear, it’s either feast of famine ‘round here. Unfortunately, the feasts very closely resemble the famines. And that, my friends, is very depressing.
In other news, the week’s almost over. I still have not received the replacement part for my bike, dag-nabbit! Just now got the message that the order has been received and to allow “a few days” for delivery. How’s that for evasive?
I sooooooo want to climb on that thing and pretend I’m peddling away in some far away country. The devil pup keeps sniffing around it suspiciously as though she can sense that it’s going to become this evil thing competing with her for Mommy’s attention.
Speaking of the bike, though, I put the grips on the handlebars last night. The instructions suggest using hand soap to lubricate the handles enough to slip the grips on. That was a very messy job, ya’ll. The whole house now smells of milk and honey (my hand soap scent of choice) which sounds good in theory but really, really isn’t.
Sis2 is supposed to be coming to the area Saturday. She and Goofus are going to do some baby furniture shopping and stuff. I am not invited to participate which suits me fine, thankyouverymuch. I don’t wanna shop for no stinkin’ baby furniture anyhow. *pouts* She said they might swing through my way and take me to lunch but if I’ve learned nothing else in my near twenty-eight years of being related to this woman, it’s that mites grow on chickens.
So Jana’s not holdin’ her breath.
I have every intention of going about my business Saturday doing whatever my little pea pickin’ heart desires. Which may or may not include a trip to the Huddle House for breakfast and likely will end up at Wal-Mart. I’ve got a baby gift to buy. Got an invitation yesterday to my cousin’s baby shower next weekend. (Heather would almost be impressed by the invitation as it was hand crafted, though I gotta say, it weren’t nuthin’ of the likes of that which Missy Trix makes!)
And Jana is highly ticked at Blogger right now because they’ve made changing your profile pic into a national incident and I can’t get it to work! *sob* I know it’s probably something I’m doing wrong but I swear it didn’t used to be this difficult!
I swear, if I didn’t have friends here, I’d ditch this puppy.
Oh, and we're under tornado watches all day. So if you see me flying past next time you walk outside, wave at me!
hehehe
I talked to one of those friends last night. She and I have known each other for what amounts to our whole lives (all through elementary, high school, college and post college as well as both working in the library) and recently she left the library to take a better paying full time job while pursuing her graduate degree. Now, she did all of this without really telling me anything about it. I found out through a mutual friend. It didn’t hurt or surprise me because she and I have always been this way. We live separate lives at peace with the knowledge that when we’re ready, we’ll reconnect.
I called her last night for some high school reunion business and it was really great how we just sort of slipped right into our friendship again—talking and laughing. I told her about the preacher man, she told me about the fella she’s been talking to. We got caught up on each other’s lives and I teased her about not telling me that she was leaving the library. It was just one of those really great conversations and I’m glad I called her.
During the course of the conversation, though, she told me that a mutual friend of ours has been asking around about me. I haven’t really spoken to or seen him in probably six years. And I gotta admit, there was a wee bit of a flirtation thing there for a while with him. In fact, he’s the only guy who has ever given me flowers, or a Valentine’s card or anything. Some of the sweetest moments of my life were because of him. He was always surprising me with sweet stuff.
But we never dated because, well, neither of us really felt comfortable taking it in that direction. We both have very different lives, different goals, and while I do love him I’ve never let myself be IN LOVE with him. I very easily could fall in love with him, but I won’t let myself. So it’s with mixed feelings that I told her to tell him to call me. *sigh*
I so don’t want to get that can of worms opened up again. My best friend gets so frustrated with me because of the whole mess. She’s all for me and him as a couple. And she knows all the reasons why it’s a bad idea and why I refuse to go down that road. So not only would he and I be playing with fire but I’ll have to listen to her lectures again on being chicken crap. (Which it basically boils down to.)
All that said, I really would love to reconnect with him if for no other reason than to make sure that he’s okay. Despite the time and distance and all the other crap that rained on our parade I do still care for him and hope that he’s got the life he always dreamed of.
Since when did my life become such a drama of men? I swear, it’s either feast of famine ‘round here. Unfortunately, the feasts very closely resemble the famines. And that, my friends, is very depressing.
In other news, the week’s almost over. I still have not received the replacement part for my bike, dag-nabbit! Just now got the message that the order has been received and to allow “a few days” for delivery. How’s that for evasive?
I sooooooo want to climb on that thing and pretend I’m peddling away in some far away country. The devil pup keeps sniffing around it suspiciously as though she can sense that it’s going to become this evil thing competing with her for Mommy’s attention.
Speaking of the bike, though, I put the grips on the handlebars last night. The instructions suggest using hand soap to lubricate the handles enough to slip the grips on. That was a very messy job, ya’ll. The whole house now smells of milk and honey (my hand soap scent of choice) which sounds good in theory but really, really isn’t.
Sis2 is supposed to be coming to the area Saturday. She and Goofus are going to do some baby furniture shopping and stuff. I am not invited to participate which suits me fine, thankyouverymuch. I don’t wanna shop for no stinkin’ baby furniture anyhow. *pouts* She said they might swing through my way and take me to lunch but if I’ve learned nothing else in my near twenty-eight years of being related to this woman, it’s that mites grow on chickens.
So Jana’s not holdin’ her breath.
I have every intention of going about my business Saturday doing whatever my little pea pickin’ heart desires. Which may or may not include a trip to the Huddle House for breakfast and likely will end up at Wal-Mart. I’ve got a baby gift to buy. Got an invitation yesterday to my cousin’s baby shower next weekend. (Heather would almost be impressed by the invitation as it was hand crafted, though I gotta say, it weren’t nuthin’ of the likes of that which Missy Trix makes!)
And Jana is highly ticked at Blogger right now because they’ve made changing your profile pic into a national incident and I can’t get it to work! *sob* I know it’s probably something I’m doing wrong but I swear it didn’t used to be this difficult!
I swear, if I didn’t have friends here, I’d ditch this puppy.
Oh, and we're under tornado watches all day. So if you see me flying past next time you walk outside, wave at me!
hehehe
Comments
Aw, shucks...thanks Jana!
(Wait until you see my Fluffles cards, hehe!)