Over it?
Maybe. I haven't decided. Yesterday's situation was resolved and for all intents and purposes it's at rest but...I'm still a little miffed that this person tried to a) manipulate me b) take advantage of me and c) put me in a situation that could potentially cause more problems for me than it would have this person. All because this person didn't want to come out the bad guy. No, that's where I was supposed to come in like gangbusters.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping a friend/family member out when needed. I love being someone that others can depend on and trust to be there when needed. But, I'm learning as I get older that there is a fine line between helping others and being a doormat. Personally, I'm sick of sporting all these shoe prints on my back, you know?
And as hurt and aggravated as I am at this person, I'm also angry at myself because I let this person and others do this sort of thing so many times in the past. Why wouldn't they think it's within their right?
But it isn't even that I was asked to do this. Okay, it sort of is, but not. The thing that riled me the most was the WAY I was asked to do it. It felt almost as if this person believed me to be truly stupid. So stupid that I wouldn't recognize the sob story as manipulation. Word up to those who would manipulate me? Make sure I don't know you as well as you know yourself because I ain't so dumb that I can't figure out when you're making stuff up in order to get your way. Anybody else might have gotten away with it. I might have given in and just been done with it.
But I don't like being manipulated. And I don't like being used, either. I'm sure most folks don't.
I did receive an apology and a concession that I should have never been placed in the situation. But if this person knew it was wrong, why ask in the first place? Is it really worth hurting someone you love just because you want to avoid a sticky situation?
The lesson in all this is? Well, I don't know what the lesson is. Maybe it wasn't a lesson for me but for this person. Maybe this person needed to learn that there are some things in life it really IS to much to ask of another person. Even if it's someone you love who loves you.
Okay, so I won't stop bending over backwards for people that I care about. It isn't fair to them or to me just because I've let others push me around. But the being pushed around doormat imitation that I've been doing is going to have to stop. I just can't take it anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping a friend/family member out when needed. I love being someone that others can depend on and trust to be there when needed. But, I'm learning as I get older that there is a fine line between helping others and being a doormat. Personally, I'm sick of sporting all these shoe prints on my back, you know?
And as hurt and aggravated as I am at this person, I'm also angry at myself because I let this person and others do this sort of thing so many times in the past. Why wouldn't they think it's within their right?
But it isn't even that I was asked to do this. Okay, it sort of is, but not. The thing that riled me the most was the WAY I was asked to do it. It felt almost as if this person believed me to be truly stupid. So stupid that I wouldn't recognize the sob story as manipulation. Word up to those who would manipulate me? Make sure I don't know you as well as you know yourself because I ain't so dumb that I can't figure out when you're making stuff up in order to get your way. Anybody else might have gotten away with it. I might have given in and just been done with it.
But I don't like being manipulated. And I don't like being used, either. I'm sure most folks don't.
I did receive an apology and a concession that I should have never been placed in the situation. But if this person knew it was wrong, why ask in the first place? Is it really worth hurting someone you love just because you want to avoid a sticky situation?
The lesson in all this is? Well, I don't know what the lesson is. Maybe it wasn't a lesson for me but for this person. Maybe this person needed to learn that there are some things in life it really IS to much to ask of another person. Even if it's someone you love who loves you.
Okay, so I won't stop bending over backwards for people that I care about. It isn't fair to them or to me just because I've let others push me around. But the being pushed around doormat imitation that I've been doing is going to have to stop. I just can't take it anymore.
Comments