Snore
I'm tired, dusty and sooooo ready to go home.
*sigh*
You know, I'm really starting to kick myself for not being as diligent in my job as I should have been. This getting stuff squared away before I change jobs thing is really kickin' my butt. Oy!
But there's no rest for the wicked. I have to be up bright and early in the morning for a baby shower planning session. My mother and aunt are supposedly planning one of Sis2's baby showers. I wasn't supposed to have to do anything for it. I certainly didn't want to run myself and my credit card to the ground like I did when she got married. I co-planned two showers for her back then. And while I enjoyed it, I had no plans of repeating that for any baby showers. Mostly because I'm such a control freak when it comes to that sort of thing that I knew I wouldn't really want to work with anyone else. (for the two bridal showers, I did all the planning and prep. The people who co-hosted with me either just provided the space and drinks or just stuck their name on the invite as the hostess. lol Not because they didn't want to help but that I just did everything and asked their opinion later. I know. I'm bad.)
But somehow, I got sucked into this baby shower thing. First with making the invitations because Mama wanted something unique. And now I'm supposed to sit in with the planning meeting. I so don't wanna because I don't like the direction they're going. It's soooooo not Sis2's style. They want to play games...GAMES! Yeah, I know a lot of baby showers do this but Sis2 is sooooo not into doing the whole games thing. In fact, when I was planning her bridal showers I was told in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to have games involved. Have I told Mama this? Yes. Has she listened to me? No.
She says to me, "Oh, but it's a baby shower. You gotta have games."
I give her the look (you know, the one that says she crazy?) and shake my head. "You have to remember this is Sis2 we're talking about here."
"I know," she waves me off. "But we gotta have games. We won't pick the really stupid ones."
And what, pray tell, constitutes a "smart" baby shower game? I thought they were ALL pretty lame. I certainly don't see Sis2 being all that impressed with them.
And then earlier this week I dragged my mother all over town looking for a baby book. Finally found one I like and got it. Then I got Sis2 and Goofus a pair of journals titled, "A Mother's Legacy" and "A Father's Legacy" respectively. They're basically journals that asks questions so that you can tell your unborn child your life's story. A keepsake kind of thing you can give to your child later on. I thought they were neat.
Mama says, "You're not going to have enough money to buy her a gift if you keep buying that stuff."
I look at her incredulously, "Those are the gift!"
She gives ME the look. (The one that says I'm crazy.)
Yeah, I do intend on getting her something more baby specific later on but not for this shower. She knows this, too. I don't know what she was thinking. Probably just wanting to give me grief because she was witness to me giving Ms. Visa a workout. (I gave Mr. Mastercard the night off. hehehe)
But anyway, I said all this to say, I'll be up at the buttcrack of dawn to meet my mother and my aunt at McDonald's for a breakfast shower planning session. A shower I wasn't even supposed to help plan.
Somebody help!
LOL
*sigh*
You know, I'm really starting to kick myself for not being as diligent in my job as I should have been. This getting stuff squared away before I change jobs thing is really kickin' my butt. Oy!
But there's no rest for the wicked. I have to be up bright and early in the morning for a baby shower planning session. My mother and aunt are supposedly planning one of Sis2's baby showers. I wasn't supposed to have to do anything for it. I certainly didn't want to run myself and my credit card to the ground like I did when she got married. I co-planned two showers for her back then. And while I enjoyed it, I had no plans of repeating that for any baby showers. Mostly because I'm such a control freak when it comes to that sort of thing that I knew I wouldn't really want to work with anyone else. (for the two bridal showers, I did all the planning and prep. The people who co-hosted with me either just provided the space and drinks or just stuck their name on the invite as the hostess. lol Not because they didn't want to help but that I just did everything and asked their opinion later. I know. I'm bad.)
But somehow, I got sucked into this baby shower thing. First with making the invitations because Mama wanted something unique. And now I'm supposed to sit in with the planning meeting. I so don't wanna because I don't like the direction they're going. It's soooooo not Sis2's style. They want to play games...GAMES! Yeah, I know a lot of baby showers do this but Sis2 is sooooo not into doing the whole games thing. In fact, when I was planning her bridal showers I was told in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to have games involved. Have I told Mama this? Yes. Has she listened to me? No.
She says to me, "Oh, but it's a baby shower. You gotta have games."
I give her the look (you know, the one that says she crazy?) and shake my head. "You have to remember this is Sis2 we're talking about here."
"I know," she waves me off. "But we gotta have games. We won't pick the really stupid ones."
And what, pray tell, constitutes a "smart" baby shower game? I thought they were ALL pretty lame. I certainly don't see Sis2 being all that impressed with them.
And then earlier this week I dragged my mother all over town looking for a baby book. Finally found one I like and got it. Then I got Sis2 and Goofus a pair of journals titled, "A Mother's Legacy" and "A Father's Legacy" respectively. They're basically journals that asks questions so that you can tell your unborn child your life's story. A keepsake kind of thing you can give to your child later on. I thought they were neat.
Mama says, "You're not going to have enough money to buy her a gift if you keep buying that stuff."
I look at her incredulously, "Those are the gift!"
She gives ME the look. (The one that says I'm crazy.)
Yeah, I do intend on getting her something more baby specific later on but not for this shower. She knows this, too. I don't know what she was thinking. Probably just wanting to give me grief because she was witness to me giving Ms. Visa a workout. (I gave Mr. Mastercard the night off. hehehe)
But anyway, I said all this to say, I'll be up at the buttcrack of dawn to meet my mother and my aunt at McDonald's for a breakfast shower planning session. A shower I wasn't even supposed to help plan.
Somebody help!
LOL
Comments
When & if I ever get married, I just want presents. No gifts, no stupid stuff. With my luck & my friends, we'll probably end up with strippers and penis-shaped pasta or some such nonsense. :D
Personally, I don't care for the shower games either, but people always seem to expect them, no matter how much they complain. I hope your sister appreciates whatever you guys do for her, Jana! BTW, I have another gift suggestion, but I'll email it to you since ya never know who might be reading this. *WEG*
Use an index card and have everyone take a test to see what they know about the mom and dad to be. Ask if they know how they met or how what their favorite colors are. Then see who knows them the best. Or you can ask baby questions. Like what to put on a diaper rash or how much powdered formula per oz of water, etc... The one that gets them most right gets a little gift. Or have them fill out guesses to the baby's weight and height or baby name guesses, no real winners at the party for that one, just for fun.
I've seen people guess the measurement of the mommy's tummy around, have to cut off yarn their estimated length or take diapers and put assorted condiments in them and have people guess by smell and look what it is (gross, but funny). Another one is someone gets a big baby gift basket and people look at it for a few minutes and then have it taken away and they list the things in the basket and the one who gets most of them right wins a small gift, the mom gets the basket then afterwards, of course.
Just a couple hints since I had to plan my own when dd was born! Hope it helps. :)