This, That and the Other

I think I probably already have a post somewhere by that name but it sums up the weekend fairly nicely. ;-)

Friday (why do I keep wanting to spell it Firday?) night Mama (half-heartedly, or so it felt) decided to call Daddy and have him meet us at Applebee's to celebrate the new job. And I say half-heartedly because she was like, "I need to go get my shopping done. Or did you want to go out tonight?" And I'm like, (yeah, I know I'm totally valley girl. Get over it!) "I don't care. Whatever you want to do." because I'm not going to beg anyone to take me out to do anything, much less celebrate. If they don't want to celebrate I don't really want to celebrate with them. Know what I mean? But I asked her if she'd called Daddy and asked him and of course she hadn't.

By this point I'm thinking I should just let her do her shopping and go home but she calls Daddy and he bitches about how tired he is, he just pulled the four wheeler out to go work on some junk on their property, etc. but he guessed he'd meet us there. (I'm so feeling the love, doncha know?) So we met at Applebee's where they almost killed my buzz (I was still slightly giddy.) with their bickering and Daddy's one word answers to anything I asked him and his total disinterest in anything but the fact that he was hungry and couldn't find the shrimp parmesian sirloin on the menu. (Which I pointed out to both of them a dozen times before Mama finally finds and says, "There it is," like I hadn't already physically shown it to her the dozen times prior.)

I finally just looked him straight in the face and said, "Look, I know you're tired and cranky but could you just at least PRETEND you're in a good mood? You're a total killjoy."

Okay, so that killjoy part I only said in my head but I think he got my meaning because he did perk up a bit. He and mama still bickered over my steak (yeah, MY steak) being undercooked when I'd asked for medium well. Didn't matter that I didn't care one way or the other. Mama was grossed out by it (it was slightly more red than pink) and Daddy was cranky because Mama kept obsessing over it.

You know what though? I didn't even care. By the end of the meal all I could focus on was getting a Mudslide. LOL It only slightly rankled that Mama kept insisting that I was getting tipsy. I wasn't. I'm not THAT alcohal intollerant! LOL

But such is the life of families, right? At least I hope mine isn't the only one like that!

Saturday dawned far too early. We'd decided to go to the Delta to help Sis2 get her house cleaned and the nursery set up. She's been working 12 hour days for three months, attending classes nearly every Saturday and being six months pregant (gosh, it doesn't seem like she should be that far along!) she's simply too tired when she gets home to do much more than pass out. Goofus is totally useless, though he does earn points for at least cooking.

So I got up around 6:30 or so and it's a good thing I got up that early because my mother (who was supposed to pick me up) neglected to tell me that my aunt was going with us and was meeting us at my house. I had just gotten dressed and was standing in the kitchen finishing breakfast when she pulled up. My house was a wreck, though, and I was so embarrassed that she saw it thus. Had my mother given me warning I might have at LEAST been able to do some nifty shoving of things in closets! LOL

Once we arrived in the Delta, it took us a while to get started on the whole cleaning thing. Mama decided that Sis2 needed to register at Wal-Mart so they spent two hours playing with that. Then Mama got started cleaning the garage while our aunt helped Sis2 decide on some other baby items. (She's Jacob's and Branson's grandma. She's got recent baby experience!) And I played with the Devil Pup who I'd brought with me. We sent Goofus to town to pick up lunch. Not like he was doing anything anyway.

But we did eventually get the nursery set up, not decorated or anything, but got all the furniture set up and arranged. Got the spare bedroom sorted and ready for them to despense all the items they'd dragged from the nursery. I got their bedroom sorted into stacks for them to go through. They had mail in there dating back to before Christmas! LOL Well, I sorted mail in between chasing the DP and retrieving stolen items. hehehehe

Needless to say, by the time we got home Jana and her Devil Pup were exhausted. Libby threw herself on the floor and slept all night. And I do mean threw herself on the floor. There was an audible thud. lol

But then we had to get up early yesterday and go out to the folks' house and church.

Speaking of church, ya'll say some prayers for the preacher man. He's going through a loss in the family and some other painful things that are attached to that. I wished I could just hug him until he felt better but I figured that would earn me a lot of odd looks as well as possibly shock him to death so I didn't. Just hugged him briefly like everyone else. It's hard caring for someone who a) doesn't know you care and b) would very likely freak out if he DID know.

But after church the rest of the day was sort of blah. Went back to the folks' house and ate. Watched TV and distracted Libby so she wouldn't wake up the folks while they napped. Went back to church and then home. Where once again the DP threw herself on the floor and conked out.

And that's it. The extent of my weekend. Hope ya'lls was great.

Comments

Heather said…
Sorry your parents were such a downer during your celebration Friday night. Like it would have killed them to at least act happy for you.

Glad the visit with your sis went okay but seriously -- mail from December?? Ddo they never clean? Sheesh...and I thought my friend Kim was bad. Sounds like they could give her a run for her money.
Jana said…
Oh, Mama was excited to start with but life has a way of sucking the joy out of any situation.

As for Sis2's house...she USED to keep an imacculate house. Pregnancy, 12 hour work days (plus after hours meetings, parent conferences, etc AND church mess), and Saturday classes have just sucked out any energy she once had for it. To be fair, the mail from December was all junk mail type stuff they hadn't thrown out. They HAVE actually managed to keep up with their bills. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today