By the Bed


Does what one keeps beside one's bed say anything about one at all? If it does...mine says I read. A lot. And I write. And I do my devotions.

That's three novels, a devotional book, my journal, my weight loss journal and some pages from a mostly abandoned manuscript I took out to do some editing (and possible refreshing.) Oh, and well, there's also the trashcan and the can of bug spray. (no spiders creepin' 'round MY bed. hehehehe)


Okay, so two of the novels were ones I'd finished reading and was too lazy to shelve while only one is in progress. (that particular novel is STILL in progress.) I do most of my reading in bed these days due to interruption by way of...
Well, you get the picture. '-)





Used to be I could spend hours upon hours sitting on my corner of the couch reading but now every time I pick up a book, magazine or even the manual to my dvd recorder I either get assaulted by a puppy on the chest or taunted with one of my shoes in her mouth. Makes it difficult to concentrate on the written word, no?



I haven't actually done much with that particular devotion book. I find that I can't really relate to a lot of the subjects in it because I'm not married, have no children and came to the Father early. This devotion book (while it doesn't mention it on the back cover...grrr...) is geared more toward moms, wives and women who came to the Father late in life. Not to say that I haven't and can't learn anything from it but I feel sort of left out when reading it. So I stopped. I don't like feeling excluded from devotional reading. I'm excluded enough in the rest of the world.

I've also found that I don't write in my journal nearly as much as I used to, either. A by-product of keeping this blog, I'm sure. But sometimes there's nothing better than pen to paper and just letting the thoughts free-flow. Knowing that I'm the only one who'll ever read the words written there. Well, me and God and whoever cleans out my junk after I die. ;)

As for the mostly abandoned manuscript...Ugh! I have never had much good to say about at attempts at writing a novel but that one pretty much stinks. The dialogue is stale, the characters cardboard cut outs and the plot has more holes than Swiss cheese...and no direction to boot! So that one'll get the shredder for sure.

And there's not much to say about my weightloss journal except to say that it hasn't been updated since February. Sad, ain't it? :-/


What do you keep around your bed and what does it say about you?

Comments

Heather said…
What's by my bed? A nightstand piled high with books, a glass full of pens and highlighters, and a lamp. Drawer contains paper, flashlight, batteries, film...I forget what else. It's basically a catch-all. On the floor in front of it might be a magazine or two (The Writer, Wisconsin Trails, never any "women's" mags 'cause I can't stand them) and a pair of slipper socks. And sometimes a cat whining for attention.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today