Pride and Predjudice

You know, I've had the DVD set of the Colin Firth version (A & E) on my Amazon wishlist for FOUR YEARS. It finally came down in price low enough that I didn't cringe upon ordering it and it came in the mail yesterday. (along with the book Real Vampires Live Large Awesome so far!) I watched the first half yesterday and I gotta say, I'm REALLY glad I never went ahead and paid $50 or even $30 on it. I mean, I love me some Colin Firth and he's utterly brilliant in it but...I can't help but compare it to the version starring Kiera Knightly. Not that I was amazingly impressed with IT but at least the irresistable Jane Bennet is actually pretty in that version. In the BBC version she's kinda horsey looking. All big teeth, long neck and oddly shaped nose. I can't imagine Mr. Bingly or anyone being so besotted with her while Elizabeth is actually the MUCH more attractive of the two.

On the flip side, Colin Firth is a much more attractive Mr. Darcy than the dude in the other version. (What was his name? Kaitlin would know. lol) Not to say that the other dude is unattractive but he isn't quite as intense and heartbreakingly brilliant as Colin Firth. Something about the set of Colin's jaw, the passion in his voice just gives me shivers. If I'm completely honest, though, the other dude has grown on me over the past three viewings.

All that aside, it's not a bad film. I enjoyed it (once I got past how horsey Jane is) and can't wait to finish the second half tonight--If for no other reason than to see just a tad bit more of Colin Firth.

What might surprise you, though, is that I really enjoyed the 1940's version starring Greer Garsen and Laurence Olivier best of all. Everything seemed more glamerous in the 40's. ;-)

Comments

Heather said…
I confess, I've not yet seen either of the more recent versions, but have seen the 40s B&W a couple of times. So many great movies from that era...
Anonymous said…
Matthew McFayden :)
I've never seen the 40's version, but I did see the Colin FIrth one first and loved it.
Jana said…
Thanks, Jen! I knew one of ya'll would know. I kinda remembered the McFayden part but wasn't sure.

I watched the 1940's one in lieu of reading the book for a report in high school English class. The book was just beyond me and my small little mind. Too many words that I couldn't grasp. lol
Anonymous said…
I prefer the 2005 version myself. I love Colin Firth & liked the A&E version, but something about the 2005 version just spoke to me.

Matthew MacFadyen is HAWT! :D

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today