Islands in the Stream

This is what I was singing at the top of my lungs in my car Saturday as I pulled into the Chinese parking lot and completely clued out on the fact that a co-worker who I'm pretty sure already thinks I'm a total bitch waved at me. Before it dawned on me that there was not only a person standing in the parking lot much less that this was someone who I KNOW, the moment had passed and I'd already driven past and he certainly must know for sure that I'm a snotty bitch.

Oh well. I was groovin' on Dolly and Kenny and anytime I'm groovin' I'm just totally clued out on the rest of the world. (and half the time when I'm NOT groovin' I'm totally clued out on the rest of the world!) Of course, when I got inside the restaurant and saw him, HE ignored ME. Which is cool. I mean, the dude's nice and all but I don't have any aspirations of becoming BFF's with him and his girlfriend/fiance/whoever. So it's all good.

I just felt bad because I didn't mean to snub him or ignore him or whatever. I really really didn't.

But you know, I have a history of being socially clueless and a total dork. My point in case was yesterday at church. For some reason everyone was in a really huggy mood. People who normally are only hand shakers during the "meet and greet" portion of the service were doling out hugs and smiles galore yesterday. And I just totally clued out on this one man who is normally a hand shaker. I had just hugged one lady and turned around and he was leaning around me. I moved out of the way thinking he was reaching behind me to shake someone's hand. Turns out he was moving in for a hug.

Color me embarrassed. LOL

Oh well. I'm a social dork. I'm sure I've been blacklisted by enough people because of my awkwardness. What's one more?

But speaking of hugs, I got a cheek to cheek last night after church by the fella who we all know but will not speak of. Color me all warm and fuzzy. hehehehehehe

I'm not by nature a very affectionate person, either. I mean, don't get me wrong. I hug my parents, grandparents and niece all the time. It's only recently that my sisters and I started hugging. It's still kind of awkward (to me anyway) because I'm not used to it. And I only in the past couple of years started hugging my best friends when we see each other. So this whole hugging at church thing is something I'm getting used to. Who to hug, how to hug. What's the proper way to hug (politely? warmly? fully contact? just a light pressure or bear hug?) and how to tell exactly when someone you aren't entirely familiar with is actually going in for a hug or not. I'm pretty sure I hugged at least two people yesterday who WEREN'T originally going in for a hug but everyone else had hugged me so I assumed.

And really, I'd always reserved hugs for people I have a great deal of love for. A sort of intimacy. And I do love my church family, so it isn't that. It's just...I'm getting used to all the open affection. I think that's why I misread a lot of signs from he I will not speak of. To me, a hug is like an intimate thing. (or it was until hugfest 2007!) So when he I will not speak of started hugging me just out of the blue I had this crazy idea that that meant he had some sort of affection for me when in fact, he's just a huggy person.

Confused yet? Cause I am. LOL

Anyway. Enough about hugs.

So Emmy has entered a new phase. The telephone phase. LOL She started early. Or do kids start the phone craze earlier than when I was her age? Of course, I don't think I ever had much use for the phone other than calling to find out what I needed to know. hehe

She's very proficient at using their spare cell phone and has begun calling me every night. Or nearly every night. Her reasons range from an urgent need to tell me that a new Hannah Montana episode is coming on to just needing to hear me breath. (like last night) I think it's fun, though. She's growing up so fast now that it won't be too much longer until she doesn't have time for her old Aunt Jana. I'm treasuring this time in her life when I'm the coolest person she knows and one of her best friends.

I do admit to making an effort to being a part of the things she enjoys...such as Hannah Montana and High School Musical and all things Disney. I want to be aware of her world and what's important to her. Keep that connection. I try very hard to speak to her as I would an adult and not talk down to her like a lot of people still do. She's young, yes, but she's growing up. She's a lot smarter than people give her credit for and it's important to me that she realizes that I get that. I hope when she is grown up and doing her own thing, she'll remember that she can trust me to respect her. That I love her and that maybe she'll appreciate the fact that I do try to make an effort to remain a part of her ever changing world. I don't ever want her grow so far away from me that we lose the close relationship we've always shared.

That's one of the things I regret about growing up. I had a couple of aunts who I was close to as a child but grew apart from as I grew up. Not because I didn't want to be around them but because I felt like Jana, as a grown up, wasn't valued. That they still thought of me as the little girl who played with Barbies. I don't want Emmy to ever think that she isn't valued for being exactly who she is as she ages.

In other, less introspective news, Sis2 is well on her way to giving birth. She's not gone into labor yet but she's been having contractions on and off since Saturday night. So hopefully soon. I'm so ready for that baby to get here. I know Sis2's going to be a spectacular mother. The jury's still out on Goofus but as excited as he is, I'm sure his capacity to love this child will more than make up for everything else. And I'm looking forward to being an aunt again. I do love babies and since I don't see me having any (ever, if my life continues it's current path) I'm more than thrilled to give all my love to my sisters' kids.

So them's the highlights. The play-by-play would put you to sleep, for sure. ;-)

Comments

Heather said…
he I will not speak of...

*Snicker*

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today