Let Me Eat Cake


Birthday cake, that is. Last Tuesday was Sis2's big 3-0 and we had her birthday party Saturday. It wasn't so much a party as it was the family getting together to eat and make merry. Or something like that. She and Lissa dragged Goofus (presumably kicking and screaming) up here Friday night to spend the night. Unfortunately I a) was already comfortably ensconced at my own home by the time they decided to make the trip and b) had no desire to sleep on Mama's uncomfortable couch (been there, done that) so I didn't go. I waited and got up early Saturday to drive out for the day.

Yeah, Sis2 and I were SUPPOSED to go shopping Saturday but Mama (even knowing our plans and how much we were anticipating going) guilted Sis2 and Goofus (who was all to happy to comply as it meant Sis2 wouldn't be ditching him for the day) into going to visit our grandparents instead. (my mom's folks.) Yeah, I know it was more important that our grandparents get to see Lissa but dag-gummit! I was looking forward to spending the day with Sis2 and Lissa sans Goofus or Sis1 or anyone else. I didn't even get to go with them to visit our grandparents because the stupid Volvo they bought is too small to fit an adult in the backseat when Goofus drives. (Yeah, I could've taken my car separately but have you SEEN gas prices lately?)

So instead of a day with my girls, as I'd been looking forward to all week, I got stuck at the folks' house with Mama and Sis1 cleaning despite the fact that I kept reminding them that the whole cleaning thing was their project and I DID NOT GO THERE TO CLEAN!

Sigh.

I begged Daddy to let me go play with him and his buddy (they were prepping the hunting land getting ready for deer season) but he just smirked and left. Then even Sis1 abandoned ship to go buy storage boxes and I got left alone with Mama who insisted I do everything at once. It's a good thing she was a good sport about my ill mood because ya'll? There was like a four hour block of time when Jana was NOT a happy camper.

And it's a darn good thing there was cake and a couple of minutes that I got to snuggle down with Lissa. Otherwise the whole stinkin' stupid day would've been a big honkin' waste. And even the snuggle time with Lissa wasn't as great as it could've been. Emmy has this notion that she is the only person in the world who has snuggle privileges and the entire two times I got to snuggle with Lissa, Emmy was either glaring at me, pestering me to let her hold her or trying to instruct ME on how to hold her/give her her pacifier/rock her/etc. Because, you know, the nearly eight years ago that EMMY was a baby have completely flown out my head and I no longer have a CLUE about anything to do with babies. *rolls eyes*

I know. I'm a big baby. Whine whine. Who cares?

Anyway, I did spend the night there Saturday night after Sis2 and her crew went home. Slept like the proverbial log. I was worn slap out. Was busy all day Friday even though I skipped work and took the day off. I had to take my car back in to get the tires balanced and then took Libs in for her shots. (She was a good girl and didn't bite the tech who administered them. Of course, I wouldn't have either--or maybe I would've. He's kinda cute. hehehehe) Went grocery shopping and then spent the rest of the day cleaning the house. Dusted everywhere, vacuumed, scrubbed my tub till it sparkled, did laundry--all that glorious domesticated junk I hate to do. The only thing I didn't get to that I sorely needed to was the yard. The grass (or weeds, rather) has gotten really high. But I abhor doing yard work. Heat. Bugs. Manual labor. Blech! SO not my thang.

So yeah, but Saturday night I was exhausted and slept so hard that I don't even remember sleeping. Had it not been for my pesky bladder I do believe I'd have slept clear through and missed church. Which, sad say, without preacher man there, I wish I would have. *sigh* I miss him. I miss his face, the reassuring calm of his voice, the way he preached. I miss his hugs and the scent of his aftershave. I'm such a sad case, I know. It just doesn't seem right that there are strangers standing behind the pulpit. It's just not even the same place. I've got to get over it, I know. The church (and I) is not centered on him. He's not the reason for being there. It's just something I've got to get over before I can get on with it.

But anyway, in a round about (and mostly incoherent) way, that's me for the weekend. How 'bout ya'll?

Comments

Heather said…
Sorry your plans were ruined and the weekend wasn't better than it was. Hopefully next weekend will more than make up for it!

As for me, Sunday was the annual Talking Spirits cemetery tour so I spent a few hours there yesterday. Interesting as usual, but too darn hot. It is NOT supposed to be 85 in October in Wisconsin! That's 20 degrees above normal. *whimper*

And yes, I am posting about the tour this week on my blog. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today