Birthdays, Bonfires and Babies

Also known as the Weekend Review, 'round these here parts. ;)

I know I've been a bad blogger in recent weeks/months with my weekend reviews. I've been sort of lackluster. Of course, ya'll may appreciate the abbreviated versions I've been leaving. Who knows? Whichever way you prefer 'em, hang onto your britches, kids. It's gonna be long one today.

So, Friday. As you may recall I mentioned that all us girls (plus Goofus) were supposed to meet for supper. I had my doubts that it would actually happen because things rarely ever work out the way I hope they will. Meaning: I usually get excited about something only to have my hopes dashed all to hell by everyone else's life interruptions/wishy washiness. Wonder of wonders, though, we actually DID follow through on the plans. Sis2 and Goofus (with Alyssa) actually beat Sis1 to my house. I was outside with Libby and when I heard a vehicle rounding the corner I just KNEW it'd be Sis1. Imagine my shock when it was Sis2's little silver Volvo instead. Libby nearly stroked out, she was so excited.

Unfortunately for her, it was this very behavior that found her put in her crate while they were in the house. She'd have been all over them once they got inside and, well, excited puppies with nails in desperate need of trimming and babies don't mix. Poor baby.

I think Sis2 and Goofus weren't all that hip on the place that Sis1 and I had picked. They got to the restaurant first and tried to make out like the line was so long and asked if we wanted to try somewhere else--which we didn't. Sis1 and I had planned this outing long before Sis2 and Goofus thought they could fit us in their schedule. Harvey's (the place we went to) has the BEST ribeye steak. Like, so tender and juicy it melts in your mouth and so chock full of flavor that I can taste it even just thinking about it. It's just that good. So Sis1 and I held them off until we got there. And yeah, it was a little busy and we had about a 20 minute wait for a table but it was SO worth it. Well, to Sis1 and me, anyway.

Alyssa, bless her heart, slept all through supper. She's such a good baby. And we did have fun. Sis2 didn't like her fillet minion, though. And I'll tell you, it didn't even look like a fillet minion. I looked more like a small piece of steak that got left on the grill too long. But, we did tell her to order the ribeye and she claimed it was too expensive. Uh, since when is a fillet minion cheaper than a ribeye?? But I digress. She managed to spice it up with steak sauce and a good time was had by all.

Sis1 and I were supposed to go see a movie after supper but Sis1 wimped out. 9:00's too late to go to a movie she says. I say, "Since when are we little old ladies that hafta be home before ten?" *rolls eyes* So we went to Wal-Mart instead. We had to get some last minute things for the bonfire. Sis1 was in charge of purchasing the hot dogs. While we were there, I bought a pair of really outrageous striped socks that Libby has fallen in love with. So far in love with that she tried to take them off my feet and eat them when I put them on. LOL

We just barely made it home by ten. Next thing you know we'll be toting around walkers. *sigh*

Saturday dawned early and cold. Well, early for me. I was up and showered by 7:30. Sis1 rolled out of bed around eight. We'd talked about going out for breakfast but when she asked me where the coffee was I assumed that was out the window. Thank the Lord I'd bought some orange danish rolls when I did my grocery shopping or we'd have gone to Mama's with empty bellies.

You know, it's really funny/annoying when people who don't see you in your day to day life find amusement in the things that are mundane to you. It's funny because it points out all the cute things that you live with and no longer notice but it's annoying because they point it out to you in such a way that leads you to believe that they don't realize that this is something that you see all the time. I say this because Libby does a lot of adorable things. Most of them she does repeatedly. Like when she sits upright on her hind legs to beg for food. To me, it's old hat. She even THINKS I'm eating and up on her butt she goes. She does it to Sis1 and Sis's like "Jana, Jana, look at Libby." Because I don't look at Libby every day. *rolls eyes* LOL I'm brushing my teeth and she yells this from the living room. I go see what the devilish pup is up to and I'm like, "Uh, yeah."

Anyway, so Saturday. Saturday was Emmy's early 8th birthday party. My folks didn't want to travel to T-town for Emmy's actual birthday party so they decided to give her an early one here. Emmy was totally on board with that because it meant she'd have two parties. Emmy is nothing if not practical. Why have one party when you can have two, right?

But I digress.

So what is it about all of us getting together that says to my mother that we should be cleaning? I mean, I moved out long years ago. I got my own house to tend. And honestly, my mother is NOT the world's best housekeeper. Never has been. It's depressing and overwhelming when faced with the prospect of actually trying to sort her house out. So I left it to Sis1 (who never did any of it when we all lived at home. Sis2 and I always got stuck with it. I figure it's only fair that it's her turn now, right?) Instead, I sat in the living room tending the puppies and trying to wrestle Alyssa from Emmy who INSISTS that she never gets to hold Alyssa. Even though she holds her all the time. *sigh* Unfortunately, it took an impressively messy diaper to get Emmy to hand her over. So after I cleaned her bottom, I guilted Emmy into letting me snuggle Alyssa for a little bit. That lasted all of ten minutes.

Which was just as well because I ended up getting sucked into the great Hannah Montana cupcake picks search. My mother, who went to a lot of trouble to find/purchase the little decorative picks for Emmy's cupcakes misplaced them. She got them Wednesday and forgot where she put them. We searched high and low, through every drawer, cabinet, basket, pile of junk and box we could find and never did find those picks. Mama almost had a meltdown and I wanted very badly to yell at her for letting something so small as lost cupcake picks nearly ruin an otherwise lovely day.

The party went well, despite the drama. Emmy got a lot of Hannah Montana and High School Musical stuff--exactly what she wanted. PLUS she got a ton of money. Well, a ton of money to only be eight. lol (Apparently older adults don't know how to shop for children. Fortunately children learn very early on that money is a viable--if not preferable--alternative to actual presents.)

After the party we moved on to our annual Fall bonfire/wiener roast. We bundled Alyssa up and don't you know that little sweetie slept the whole time? She was snug as a bug and likely the warmest one out there. LOL It was fun, though. I only ate one dog and a bowl of chili. I even only ate one s'more and two toasted marshmallows. Sis2 and Goofus wimped out on the "hayride" though. Mama had volunteered to stay with Alyssa while they went but apparently Sis2's so self-conscious about her post baby weight that she was afraid she'd take up too much room. *rolls eyes* And of course, if Sis2 won't go, neither will Goofus. Of course, he could have opted out because I threatened to pitch him out at the cemetery but really, if he's scared of little ol' me, he gots problems. '-)

So it was just me, Sis1 and Emmy in the bed of Daddy's truck for the "hayride". He took us the long way around through the hills this time. I freaked Sis1 out a couple of times before we got to the old cemetery. She's so easily spooked. (LOL I know, "Hello, pot. This is kettle." lol) Emmy had a ball of it, though, howling at the moon. She was probably the most comfortable one. She had her big High School Musical pillow I'd given her for her birthday. Me, I had to get someone to check to make sure I still HAD a butt. I couldn't feel it anymore! LOL

Yesterday after church, we booked it (sans Sis2 and her crew--they went back home Saturday night) to the lake. Sis1's crew wanted to have some non-studio portraits done and a girl from work who does that sort of thing on the side, met us at the lake and they did portraits while I wondered around taking snapshots of the scenery. I'd always wanted to do that but had never had time before. Or rather, just never did get around to it before. In between photos, we ate lunch and talked and just goofed off. It was a lot of fun. Very relaxing. Emmy and I had fun goofing off with the camera after the official photo shoot was over. We went out to the pier and I got some good shots of her. She's such a little camera ham. lol

But I'll tell you what. I was so tired and sore when I got home. I had to take some Advil just to be able to move off the couch without major agony! And of course, Libby just HAD to go out several times. She didn't care that mommy was dying. hehehehe

And so that's it for the weekend. I know I'm missing a lot of stuff. I wish I had a memory chip in my head so that I could recall all the truly great moments. You know, the funny stuff that you think at the time, "I'll have to remember that. That'll make a good story." but I rarely remember. :-(

I do, however, have pictures. Those you'll have to take a peek at tomorrow. I'm running out of time with this super long post! '-)

Comments

Heather said…
Sounds like someone had a good weekend! I'm glad one of us did. I didn't go outside once, what with recovering from this cold. In fact, I spent Sunday in my pajamas (and only threw on some sweats Saturday to do laundry).

I'm glad you enjoyed your hayride, though I refuse to feel sorry for your er, pains. I can commisserate a little bit, though, seeing as how I killed my right arm with some mega stamping and punching Saturday (Latesha's fault).

Can't wait to see your pictures! Did you see the one I posted this morning with you in mind? *g*

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today