Another Boring Day In the Life...
I saw a co-worker at Wal-Mart last night. She's my age, I've worked with her for about a year, she seems nice and yet I don't really know her. Partially because it's difficult for me to get to know anyone and partially because I didn't really WANT to get to know her because I didn't think she'd be around long as her job was temporary. It's disappointing making friends with co-workers and then they leave and you never hear from them again. (Hello, Mr. Coffee Break Man? Where are you?) So I just never even tried. Not that I was unfriendly or anything. I don't think so, anyway. Only now that I've sort of set up this presedence for not really taking the time to get to know her she's just been hired for a permanent position here. So, now I hafta figure out how to go about easing into a friendship with her. At least a comfortable enough working relationship that I don't feel awkward saying good morning to her.
So last night when I saw her at Wal-Mart I went up to her and spoke. Or tried to. It got all messed up. She was off in lala land and by the time I finally got her attention I was over it and felt awkward and stupid. Ended up just saying something innane and awkward and moving on. Then I worried that I'd perhaps snubbed her someway by not sticking around to chat for a second.
Making friends is hard. It's easy being friendly but hard making friends. And I suck at it. All the friends I have already are people who just sort of picked me, you know. I like them (love them!) but most of the effort to make friends was initiated on their part.
Like my BFF in SC. She came into the classroom on her first day, surveyed the room, spotted me and politely plopped down into the desk beside mine and an instant friendship was born. I was half unaware that she considered me her best friend until the following year. LOL (I often wonder why she picked me because I'm so far from what her other friends were like. Or maybe that answers my own question.)
So anyway, that's what's up right now. Friendships. If the really good ones weren't so wonderful it almost wouldn't be worth it. LOL
So last night when I saw her at Wal-Mart I went up to her and spoke. Or tried to. It got all messed up. She was off in lala land and by the time I finally got her attention I was over it and felt awkward and stupid. Ended up just saying something innane and awkward and moving on. Then I worried that I'd perhaps snubbed her someway by not sticking around to chat for a second.
Making friends is hard. It's easy being friendly but hard making friends. And I suck at it. All the friends I have already are people who just sort of picked me, you know. I like them (love them!) but most of the effort to make friends was initiated on their part.
Like my BFF in SC. She came into the classroom on her first day, surveyed the room, spotted me and politely plopped down into the desk beside mine and an instant friendship was born. I was half unaware that she considered me her best friend until the following year. LOL (I often wonder why she picked me because I'm so far from what her other friends were like. Or maybe that answers my own question.)
So anyway, that's what's up right now. Friendships. If the really good ones weren't so wonderful it almost wouldn't be worth it. LOL
Comments
Aunt B