Weekend Blah

Friday night was nearly a total bust. None of my shows came on, instead replaced by *ack* gameshows. I think it must have been gameshow night on television. Ghost Whisperer, albeit re-runs, was replaced by The Price Is Right (I think. It had Drew Carey on it and I just assumed as I screeched in indignation that it must have been The Price Is Right.) Las Vegas was replaced by...something gameshowy. I don't know what it was. Maybe Deal or No Deal? I can't remember. Either way, it was not good and did not make for a happy Jana.

Fortunately, I'd received a shipment of books the day before so I was happy to curl up and read Susan Mallery's latest HQN, Accidentally Yours. Great book. I just got frustrated because the Devil Pup does NOT like for me to read. Meaning: I kept having to put the book down periodically to fend her off, show affection, toss her toys, etc. Mommy was SO not feelin' THAT. lol After I put her to bed, though, I got to finish it in peace. I think it has some of the best dialogue and playful characters of any book I've read recently. I loved it so much I woulda married it if such a thing were possible. hehehehe

Saturday morning I got up bright and early and sprinted to WMart to get groceries. Ran into my supervisor there. Ugh! Not that I don't like her--she's pretty cool and we get along--but I find it totally awkward running into my boss at 7:30 on a Saturday morning while I'm buying my Sunchips and dog treats, yanno? Bosses are for work, not shopping.

Sprinted home to spend some quality time with the pup before I had to go to work. Quality time being, of course, letting her help me put away the groceries and let her clean my face. I keep telling her I'm capable of the former and the latter is not necessary. She just stares at me blankly. She knows better than I do what I need, right? I am her human, after all.

So work was okay. I was flippin' happy 'cause we only had one patron. I got some work AND some playing done. (some scenes written for Drifters and answered some emails.) My friend L. was working with me and we chatted a bit. Messed with her Dad on IM. You know, goofed off a bit. (She'd finished her project and mine project is never ending so we just took a break) She looked up her grades for the tests she'd had Thursday or Friday and discovered she'd made a 76 on her government history (or whatever the crap it was) test. When she tells me this, I say, "Good." Partially because I was only half listening at the time (caught up in writing a scene) and partially because I'd forgotten that anything less than an A is unacceptable to her.

She says, "Not good. It's the first out of only three tests."

Her eyes are kind of shimmering and I'm thinking, "Oh crap. She's gonna cry."

You see, to me, 76 on anything as dull as government/history is GREAT. so I tell her this. This does not help. So, I tell her she can pull it up. Uh, no. Because they don't have homework grades. The best she could do is pull her grade up to a B which is unacceptable. At this point, I"m all out of platitudes (and nearly out of sympathy. I've never found ANYTHING wrong with a B. To be upset over a B is overkill to my underachieving mind.)

So she turns back to her computer and I go back to writing. After a little while I hear sniffling. I'm thinking, crap. She really IS crying. What do I do now? I don't deal well with tears. At all. But after a few minutes, she gets up, her eyes are dry and she starts complaining about her grade again.

I finally just tell her not to let it ruin her day. It isn't the end of the world. She's got three more years of school to pull in all A's and surely one more B (she's already gotten one B on her record from her first semester) will not drag her GPA down. She reminds me that she is a perfectionist which is sort of out of my realm and only perks up when I remind her that she's got a date with a really great guy later.

*relieved sigh* Crisis averted.

I swear I don't remember ever getting that bummed about a grade. The only reason I may have frowned at a C on a test or a B in a class is because I knew my parents would be disappointed, not because I really cared. I'm a classic underachiever. I studied enough to get by and when I graduated college with a 3.02 GPA I thought I was hot stuff. And the only reason my parents ever thought that it wasn't good enough was because Sis2 was a perfectionist like L. and was on the President's list a couple of semesters and the Dean's list several times. She ruined everything for me. LOL

Anyway, after I finally got to leave work, I went to eat Chinese. A group of obnoxious college kids came in while I was eating and completely ruined my solitude. Haven't they ever heard of eating quietly? It's good for digestion, right? But, I did my best to ignore them and was just finishing up my plate of cream cheese won tons when I feel someone scratching my head. It was my mother. *sigh*

I swear, I just can't get away from my parents. Love 'em to death but sheesh! Do they have to fill up every square inch of my life? I can't even go to my favorite restaurant without bumping into them.

This thought, of course, leads me down the dangerous path of unrest with my life. You know, that urge to just run away and start over fresh somewhere else. Except, where would I go? I have no place to run to. *sigh*

Finally got away from them, though, and went home to finish laundry, clean house, etc. The DP was thrilled to see me. Not so thrilled when I hauled the vacuum cleaner out, though. lol She hates that thing. Barks if I even so much as slide the closet door open.

I did get to finish another book, though. Read Donna Alward's A Soldier's Homecoming. It was good, too. I got to read it in between the DP's naps.

Yesterday I did the church thing, lunch with the folks and then Mama went to visit my grandparents while Daddy and I dozed in front of the television. Good times, good times. Last night I finished another book, Carrie Weaver's Baby, I'm Yours. and it was *swoon* wonderful. Loved it.

Woke up with a headache this morning and the day's been just one pain after another.

But that's it for me. How's it for you?

Comments

Anonymous said…
How? How did you read Donna's book? I've been looking and looking for it!!! Oh right, you get them shipped to you. Lucky you! :)

I'm a perfectionist. I do understand tears for less than an A. Excluding Math wherein anything above F was acceptable. ;) Perfectionism is not a good thing. I've learned this. I'm working on Excellence instead. Striving for excellence instead of perfection is freeing. :D

You're a good friend for listening to her. Suggest she speak with the prof. They are human and if they know she's willing to do extra work, perhaps would take that into account. See, for History I don't understand less than an A either. ;) LOL

Sara
Heather said…
Ghost Whisperer was on, just an hour later ~ opposite the Monk season finale.

As for grades...if it was outside my major I was happy to get a B. There were only two classes dropped in college for fear of failing. One was a geography class, taken for the science requirement. I was among half the class who dropped. I studied for both the first and second exams. I did the readings, I did the lab, I went to class and took notes, which I later reviewed. We even had a study group the night before the exams. Stll, half the class failed the first exam. Half!

The prof then spent 15 minutes railing at us about how we weren't doing all the things my classmates and I had done. I stuck it out until the second exam, and when my grade still hadn't improved much, I went directly to registration and picked up a drop form, just making the cut off date. I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 the class did the same.

We had to have both the sig of the professor whose class we were dropping and our advisor's. When my advisor told me I was the third person in as many days to drop, he was dumbfounded when I told him our reasons, and agreed I was doing the right thing. My only regret in dropping the class is that I wasn't able to write an evaluation on him.

I don't know if a complaint or inquiry was ever launched on our behalf, but do know that professor should not have been teaching. And it was the professor. The entire class was afraid to ask or answer questions. If you asked what he thought a stupid Q, he'd say if you'd done the reading you would know that, and if you asnwered a Q wrong, he'd light in to you about not doing the work. One week when he was gone another prof subbed in and it was a completely different atmosphere in the class, like a huge weight had been lifted!


Anyway, sounds like your weekend wasn't too bad, and sorry to hear you've had a headache all day. Guess my squirrel story was good for something, eh? *VBG*

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today