Easter, Birthday...what do we celebrate?
It was entirely too strange having Easter and my birthday on the same day. Too. Strange. The whole day was just odd. Off, if you will. But then, this whole YEAR has been odd/off/strange. I don't know what happened there but nothing feels as it should these days. Everything seems all wonky. Between illnesses, deaths, this oddly early Easter, leap year and all manner of other anomalies, it's a wonder I even recognize my life at all.





But, I did indeed get to (sort of) celebrate my birthday. Mama and Daddy took me out Friday night to eat at my favorite Mexican place. The food was excellent as usual. The service, however, could have been better. The waiter rushed us through everything, completely ignored Mama and me and didn't even offer us dessert! I was so disappointed! I don't know what his problem was. It wasn't as if we were there at a peak time and he needed to turn our table quickly. We got there WELL before the supper rush. *shakes head* I think he just wanted to clear his section of all the rednecks or something, because it seemed they seated all us rednecks in his section. lol

As I said, Sunday was just weird. We got up early for sunrise service at church. I dressed in my new Easter "frock" as my mother insists on calling it. I felt utterly ridiculous, too, since I was one of maybe three people who'd done so. I always seem to be the odd gal out. After the service we had breakfast at church. It was good but I'd have rather gotten to sleep late. hehehehe We had to be at the church at 7 and breakfast wasn't until 8 or 8:30. So I was sleepy and hungry, as were a lot of folks, which made for some cranky pants church goers. lol

One of the things that made the day even more odd was that unfortunately, Emmy went to her dad's folks further south and didn't get to be there. Felt odd not having her there. I think every picture I have of my birthday since she was about two, she's helping me blow the candles out on my cake. Not so this year. It felt strange doing it on my own.
Not that there was much fanfair to the whole blowing out of the candles this year. Everything was just kind of off-center. I think we celebrated my birthday all of two minutes--long enough to blow out the candles and for everyone to sing and that was it. Gifts were mostly cards and given whenever the giver thought to hand it to me. I guess it's not really a big deal--I'm old enough not to need all the pomp and circumstance but somehow I thought my 29th should have had a little bit more of an oomph to it. I mean, this is the last year of my 20's. It's significant. Or maybe it's only significant to me. :-/

Anyhow, we had a lot of fun playing with Lyssa, anyway. She's at the age now where she's discovering new faces to make, getting curious about everything--you know, the really fun stage babies enter before they start walking and getting into everything and sassing you. hehehehehe
And I guess, strangeness aside, it was a really great day.
Yesterday, I spent the day at home parked in front of the television eating chocolate covered strawberries just because I could. I think it was the best day of all. ;-)
Comments
Seriously, though -- I know what you mean about the days feeling "off." Between leap day, the time change and the earliest Easter ever, the days and weeks have felt off-kilter to me, too. Glad I'm not the only one! *g*