Humidity's a Killer

Or at least it felt that way Saturday.

You know, it sucks, too because every weekend for the past two months has just been great. Well, when it wasn't raining, it was great. Nice and warm but not hot. Breezy. Low humidity. The weekend I have to move? The humidity is so thick you can feel it coating your skin like a cloak of death. Yuck! And it was hot. No breezy here, thankyouverymuch.

But despite the miserable humidity, move I did. It took three loads of an enclosed trailer, two pick-ups and the folded down back of my sister's Expedition AND my mother's car (and mine for one trip) but we finally got me moved into my new apartment. Well, mostly moved. There are still some odds and ends left at the house that I have to go get. Hopefully it won't take too long and more than a couple of trips to get it to the apartment. Then I have to clean the house for the landlord's inspection. That shouldn't take too long, though, since it's basically clean anyway. Vacuum, mop, dust/wash the baseboards. I might clean the oven but it's not terribly dirty to start with. The thing I'm dreading the most is pulling the refrigerator out and cleaning under there. Ashamed as I am to admit it, I haven't done so in the 7 years I lived there. I know, you're supposed to do that all the time, right? Color me bad. I'm not THAT into cleaning.

But what's funny, (not ha ha funny, but you know, funny) once the house was mostly empty my parents FINALLY saw what I'd been living in. The signs of mold, the flooded dining room floor, the cracks in the walls, they got to experience the little non-working a/c. And my dad, who'd been against me moving, finally got WHY I wanted to move from what he'd always thought of as a safe little haven to tuck his daughter. I'd been telling them for YEARS how awful it was but they haven't really spent any time in my house in about 3 years--ever since my sister got married and we stopped having Sunday brunch at my house. And it wasn't that bad a shape back then. But it's like the house just gave up and died. Which is still sad to think about but I guess the Lord wanted to move me out of my comfort zone and the only way he knew he could get me out of it was to huff and puff and blow my house down. Figuratively, of course, though in a little bit it might be literally. lol

One thing I learned from this weekend is that the next time I move, I'm going to save my quarters and spring for a moving company. Oh, and I'm moving in December instead of May. LOL I'm so incredibly blessed and thankful to have such a wonderful group of family that all pitched in and worked so hard in the heat and humidity (and paid for the terrible amount of gas used) to get me moved into a better living situation. I don't know what I'd have done without them. And I don't think they'll ever truly know just how much I appreciated their selfless help. I mean, I didn't even have to ask for their help. I said I was moving and they asked, "When do you need us?" They're just that incredible. They wouldn't even let me pay for lunch Saturday.

Yeah, I know I've griped about them often enough but deep down I know that they're the best part of my life. Well, right after Jesus. :)

Now, before I get all weepy, I'd best go. I've got to go home and see if I can't get my cable fixed. *sigh*

Comments

Heather said…
Glad to hear you are mostly moved in to the new place, Jana - and without too much of a hassle either (other than the hot weather). Don't forget to send everyone the new addy when you get settled!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today