I Wish I Drank

I think this week would have been so much easier to swallow if I'd had a buzz goin' on. lol

Haven't heard anything from my mom's test, yet. I'm hoping someone thinks to call me. *sigh*

Still have not gotten my computer back. I got a message this morning while on the ref. desk computer that they're having to rebuild it. *sigh*

Anyway, I did get a little pick-me-up by way of a book. I finally got my copy of Shreve Stockton's The Daily Coyote. Thanks to Heather, I discovered the blog by the same name The Daily Coyote a couple of months ago. After inhaling the archives, I was pleased to find that she was releasing a book about her life with the rescued coyote named Charlie. The description is as follows: (from amazon)

When photographer and writer Shreve Stockton decided to move back to her beloved New York from San Francisco, she decided to take her time and make the trip on her Vespa. When she reached Wyoming, Shreve was captivated by the red dirt, the Bighorn Mountains, and the wide-open spaces. Unable to shake the spell of the "cowboy state," she soon found herself trading her New York City apartment for a house in Ten Sleep, Wyoming -- population 300.

Shreve threw away her cell phone and took to the rules of the land, adjusting to a lifestyle that was a near antithesis to that of the urban jungle. Time is of a different essence, nature is both livelihood and enemy, deer and coyote mark the dawn and dusk. After she met a local cowboy by chance on the side of the road, first a friendship and then a romance blossomed between them.
When Shreve was unexpectedly presented with a ten-day-old coyote pup whose parents had been shot for killing sheep, she had a choice to make. Despite her reservations and the terror of her tomcat Eli, Shreve decided to do the unthinkable -- to raise the coyote pup she came to call Charlie in her 12 12-foot log cabin.

In arresting prose and illuminated with Shreve's breathtaking photography, The Daily Coyote is at once Shreve's month-by-month exploration of Charlie's first year and a meditation on the nature of wildness versus domestication, of nature versus nurture, and of forgiveness, loyalty, and love in all its forms.


It was an enthralling read. The photography mixed with the story was just fabulous. I found it difficult to put down once I started. In fact, that's mostly what I did all day yesterday at work since I didn't have my computer. hehehe Shhhh...don't tell anyone, though.

It read much like a diary would, in the sense that Shreve was very open about herself, her life with Charlie and her relationship with the man she refers to as MC on her blog and names Mike in the book. (I have to wonder if that's his REAL name. lol) When it ended I couldn't help but wish that she would write a sequel. ;-)

Here's to hopin' the buzz I got from the book lasts me through this day as I wait to hear news of what's going on with Mama.

Comments

Heather said…
Hehe...happy to have enabled you with that link to The Daily Coyote, and glad to hear how much you liked Shreve's book. I love my daily Charlie fix! :]

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today