Party Like It's 2009!
And so it is 2009. So many things to reflect on from 2008. A year of changes behind me, a year of changes ahead of me.
2008 saw me moving from the home I first made for myself at the tender age of twenty-two. The home where independence lived for the first time in my sheltered life. It was a good (ish) home for most of the time I lived there. Not without it's problems, certainly, but it was the house freedom made. At least, that's what it was for me.
But as happens often in our lives, a time comes to move on. No matter how comfortable a soul might be, when the bad outweighs the good, it's all you can do. And so I did. It was the biggest, the hardest and the most freeing decision I'd made in a looong time.
Here I am seven months into my temporary holding place, praying for a new home in 2009. Possibilities are abundant and my faith is strong. God took me from what had become a personal hell and placed me in a new apartment with new experiences, new headaches and a clearer picture of what I want and don't want, what I will and will not accept. And even with it's trials it's been a good experience for me. It's teaching me patience, tolerance and opening my mind to new possibilities. Something I think my often closed mind needed desperately.
2008 also closed another chapter on my life that brought a few life lessons with it. At the start of last year the car I'd had since my college years finally trumped me and I had to move on from it, as well. Bittersweet relief, though it was, it taught me a lesson in humility and grace. The humility of asking for what you need and the grace in accepting it. And thought to many it's just a car--a mode of transportation--to me, it was a miracle. I thank God each day for blessing me with a family who would be so generous, so kind and so giving as to bless me with what I needed when I asked for it and to have never held it over my head as many people would have done.
The greatest blessing in my mind though from 2008 was the bringing home of my beloved sister. Though the move for them has been fraught with issues they'll be working through for the next little while yet, for me it has lit up my life like a Christmas tree. I have my best friend and her precious daughter mere minutes away from me. You can't imagine what a relief it has been to close that physical distance as well as the emotional distance that had accompanied it. I no longer feel quite so lonely and the future doesn't look nearly so grim. With my best friend and favorite sister beside me lending support there is a huge relief, a triumphant joy and a humbling sense of rightness that was missing for three years. I know this all sounds silly, cheesy, corny and maybe even a little weird. My family is an extension of myself and Sis2 was my right arm. It's a glorious thing to no longer feel so detached from myself.
And those are the big three. Three of the biggest events that changed my life so much for the better. And isn't that funny--nearly four years later and my blog is still about changes though I must say that learning to embrace the changes life throws at you has made almost made me long for change. Change doesn't have to be so scary.
And so we start a new year. A new year with new hopes, new dreams and new changes waiting just around the bend. I'm ready. Are you?
2008 saw me moving from the home I first made for myself at the tender age of twenty-two. The home where independence lived for the first time in my sheltered life. It was a good (ish) home for most of the time I lived there. Not without it's problems, certainly, but it was the house freedom made. At least, that's what it was for me.
But as happens often in our lives, a time comes to move on. No matter how comfortable a soul might be, when the bad outweighs the good, it's all you can do. And so I did. It was the biggest, the hardest and the most freeing decision I'd made in a looong time.
Here I am seven months into my temporary holding place, praying for a new home in 2009. Possibilities are abundant and my faith is strong. God took me from what had become a personal hell and placed me in a new apartment with new experiences, new headaches and a clearer picture of what I want and don't want, what I will and will not accept. And even with it's trials it's been a good experience for me. It's teaching me patience, tolerance and opening my mind to new possibilities. Something I think my often closed mind needed desperately.
2008 also closed another chapter on my life that brought a few life lessons with it. At the start of last year the car I'd had since my college years finally trumped me and I had to move on from it, as well. Bittersweet relief, though it was, it taught me a lesson in humility and grace. The humility of asking for what you need and the grace in accepting it. And thought to many it's just a car--a mode of transportation--to me, it was a miracle. I thank God each day for blessing me with a family who would be so generous, so kind and so giving as to bless me with what I needed when I asked for it and to have never held it over my head as many people would have done.
The greatest blessing in my mind though from 2008 was the bringing home of my beloved sister. Though the move for them has been fraught with issues they'll be working through for the next little while yet, for me it has lit up my life like a Christmas tree. I have my best friend and her precious daughter mere minutes away from me. You can't imagine what a relief it has been to close that physical distance as well as the emotional distance that had accompanied it. I no longer feel quite so lonely and the future doesn't look nearly so grim. With my best friend and favorite sister beside me lending support there is a huge relief, a triumphant joy and a humbling sense of rightness that was missing for three years. I know this all sounds silly, cheesy, corny and maybe even a little weird. My family is an extension of myself and Sis2 was my right arm. It's a glorious thing to no longer feel so detached from myself.
And those are the big three. Three of the biggest events that changed my life so much for the better. And isn't that funny--nearly four years later and my blog is still about changes though I must say that learning to embrace the changes life throws at you has made almost made me long for change. Change doesn't have to be so scary.
And so we start a new year. A new year with new hopes, new dreams and new changes waiting just around the bend. I'm ready. Are you?
Comments
Happy New Year, buddy! :)