She wants to be a writer!
The weekend went great--right up until the end. Had to have some drama somewhere, right? Or what's the point in family getting together? ;-)
So Friday night the sis's and I went to supper together. And immediately ran into one of Sis2's aunt-in-laws. Got seated at the table right across from her, actually. Yay. (or not) Granted the aunts aren't as bad as the MIL but still...can't go ONE NIGHT without seeing SOMEONE we didn't want to see. lol
But supper was fun. I ate all my steak and most of my garlic mashed taters. Didn't get the frou frou girly drink I wanted because their machine was broken. Color me disappointed. :-(
But I hafta say this--My sisters don't listen to me. They apparently think that since I'm single I don't have a clue about what it's like to have problem. And I can't possibly have any wisdom to offer. :-P~~
Okay, it happened like this...Sis2 and Goofus are taking this Bible based class on money management. Sis2 was sharing some of the tips, tricks and tools that they've learned so far. I piped in with my 2 cents on what I've taught myself and how I manage my money and manage to save a bit each month. (Despite being poor, I have managed to learn a few things about budgeting and saving, ya know.) Granted, I know that the things that work for a single person but still, did they HAVE to go there? You know that place...the "Oh, that could never work for me because I have REAL bills and REAL money problems," says the sis who said she "only" paid $30 for her new acrylic tips on her fingernails. Basically patting me on the head and telling me to just wait until I grew up. *sigh*
Beyond that, we did have fun. Since the frou frou girly drink machine was broken we went to Sonic after supper and got Java Chillers. Well, Sis1 and I got Java Chillers. Sis2 got a chocolate shake 'cause she don't like coffee. (Srsly? No coffee? How sad.) We took our desserts back to my place and chatted some more. I guess the sis's were glad for the break from being mommies for a little while. Sis2 didn't leave for home until around eight or so, Sis1 spending the night with me.
She dozed on the couch until 9:30 when I got her up to go to bed. I guess turning 35 is taking it out of the old girl. hehehe
Saturday morning we got up early and met Sis2, Goofus and Lyssa for breakfast. Lyssa mostly clowned around with her spoon but I enjoyed the breakfast buffet--even if they WERE missing the sausage links I "heart" so much. Got a big enthusiastic Lyssa hug. The little cutie came toddling right to me with her arms up. When I picked her up, she wrapped those little arms around me and rested her head on my shoulder and wouldn't let go. Made Sis1 so jealous. It was great. hehehehe
And because I wouldn't be able to any other time, Sis1 and I went grocery shopping after breakfast. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate grocery shopping with Sis1? I probably have at some point or another but it's been so long since I've done it, it bares repeating. I hate grocery shopping with Sis1. I had my list, my calculator and a clear map in my head of exactly where I needed to go and when in order to accomplish my task in the least amount of time. As in, get in and get out quick. (I always write my list in order of where things are shelved so that I don't have to go this way and that while shopping. Am I the only person in the world who does that?)
But Sis1 wanted to stroll. She wanted to look, admire and ask twenty million questions about what I was buying, what was it for and how much was I spending. (I had a list for Mama, too.) And pouted when I told her point blank that I didn't have time for that crap. I was there to buy and go home. Not browse. Besides, we needed to get to the folks' house in time for lunch and Daddy needed the ketchup I was buying in order to make his famous (or is that infamous?) bbq sauce.
We did pretty good on time. It took us an hour and we were out of there by ten. Then the silly chick (who had forgotten to bring a jacket from AL because it had been in the upper 60's when she left Friday afternoon) stopped to get gas in her truck. By Saturday it had turned of cold. Like in the lower 40's and drizzling rain. When she went to get out of the truck to pump gas I offered her my jacket. She says no.
Guess who was a Popsicle when she got back into the truck? *rolls eyes* Silly girl.
We had to stop by Micky D's and get cappuccinos in order to thaw her out. At least, that's the excuse, anyway. hehehe
We made it out to the folks' house by around 11. We'd had to unpack the groceries, clean up a mess of broken glass in my parking lot (Sis1 dropped a couple of wine coolers while trying to unload the back of her truck), reload the truck with her luggage (THREE BAGS for a TWO NIGHT STAY. lol) and I had to pack my gear to spend the night at the folks house. I sent Sis1 on ahead so that I could get loaded up without playing the 20million questions game. The girl is more curious than a one-eyed cat.
By the time I got there, everyone else was already there and Lyssa and Emmy were in full play mode. Those two girls are a MESS. lol Lyssa follows Emmy around everywhere and Emmy eats it up. It's a joyful sight to see them together. My two girls. :-)
I guess we ate around 1:30 or 2. I don't really remember. It was a bit of a madhouse there between the girls playing and the sis's chattering and Mama bustling around the kitchen. Daddy, I don't think, felt too good. He's been kinda puny the last few days. Tummy trouble plus he had some more work done on his mouth (he's had all of his teeth out in preparation to get dentures) so he wasn't all that spirited.

One thing of note about Daddy: He no longer asks my opinion on stuff he cooks. The last time he smoked a Boston butt and made his famous (infamous) bbq sauce he asked Sis2 and myself what our thoughts were on the sauce. Sis2, ever the brown noser, lied through her teeth and said it was amazing. I said it had an odd whang to it--too much vinegar. This time he asked Sis2 and studiously ignored me. lol Man can't take criticism, I guess. Oh well. Had he bothered to ask me I'd have honestly said it was good. Not quite as strong as last time. But he'll never know that because he didn't ask and I didn't tell. lol
Later on we had cheesecake for Sis1's birthday and she opened presents. I think she was disappointed because all she got was $50 and some scrapbooking supplies. But she's gotta understand--we live in poor economic times and the folks' well, the folks are living on one income and Sis2 and I are living on strict budgets. *shrugs*
Sis2 and her family left around 5, I guess and the rest of us spent the evening watching a Steven Segall movie. (gross)
Sunday was the usual church then lunch thing. After lunch the women folk sat at the kitchen table talking and Emmy and I did a word search. She and I got to talking and guess what she's decided she wants to be when she grows up...A Writer!! I'm so proud. :-) Of course, baby girl's gonna hafta learn to spell before then. hehehehe She let me read some of the stuff she's written thus far and the spelling errors are so funny. Being that she's only in the second grade, I cut her a little slack. But seriously, I hope she improves soon. ;-) She also wants to be a basketball player and a teacher. Big dreams, my little girl has.


She's afraid her daddy wants her to be a pilot like him, though. She almost cried talking about how much she doesn't want to fly and how she knows he expects her to. I don't really think he cares what she does when she grows up but since his dad's a pilot and he is, I guess her nine-year-old mind has put it together with the thought that she's expected to follow in their footsteps. I tried explaining to her that she's got a lot of years ahead of her to find out what she really wants to do and to not worry about it right now.
When that didn't work, I told her not to worry because by the time she's old enough to go to college and figure out what she wants, her daddy'll be old and senile and won't know what she's doing anyway. That, at least, garnered a laugh.
And then I remembered why it's never a good idea for Sis1 and Mama to talk to much in one stretch. They got in a tiff over the timing of the next family reunion. Sis1 thought it was in July but they'd had to set it for May instead. The same week Emmy's going to bible camp. Mama started nagging Sis1 about checking Emmy out of camp early so that she can come since she was on the roster to sing. (it's family/singing reunion) Sis1 got mad cause Mama and her sibs changed the date without consulting her. Because, you know, the earth revolves around her.
Sis1 got pouty and left the kitchen and Mama kept nagging. I swear, those two just don't know when to stop. Needless to say, Sis1 ended up going home mad. *sigh* And Mama's mad at Sis1 for being mad. I just wish they'd both grow up already.
I had to stay out at the folks' last night since Mama still doesn't have her car back and we couldn't persuade Sis1 to take me home. Granted, it would have been a little bit out of her way but not by much. Maybe 20 minutes. But I digress. I stayed with the folks and watched the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie, Loving Leah on CBS in my old bedroom while Daddy alternated between channel surfing and dozing in his chair in the living room.
Thank Goodness I get to go home tonight. I could use a little sanity in my life just now. God knows I love my family and thank Him for them every day. But sheesh! They can drive a girl crazy. ;-)
Now, if anyone cares, don't forget that a new season of The Closer starts tonight at 9/8c on TNT! I'm exicited because in this silly break NBC is taking from Chuck, Monday night television sucks monkey butt. And The Closer? Well, it pretty much rawks. hehehe
Comments
* I'm glad you had a good night out, even if you were seated near extended family. See, this is the good part about living in a city this size--I rarely run into people I know anywhere.
* Excuse me? Your sister is talking about how difficult it is to make ends meet, yet she's spedning $30 to have her nails done on a regular basis? I can think of A LOT of ways that money could be put to better use.
* Hey, watch the age jokes, missy!
:-P~~~
* Ah, you sound like me in the grocery store. I know the general layout of the store and try to order my list accordingly so there's less backtracking: produce, dairy, meat, dry goods, bakery, frozen foods. And, like you, I HATE dawdlers. I just want to get in and get out. Plus, I usually only have 30-40 min. if taking the bus. (Lugging groceries via the bus means less impulse buying--you have to be able to carry what you buy!)
* Three bags for two nights? Are you serious? All I need for a 2-night stay with friends or my sister is a duffle bag -- and even that wouldn't be full!
* Very cool that Emmy likes writing so much, and that she has someone like you to encourage her.
* Hey, I watched the same movie you did last night! Speaking of TV...did you get to see GW Friday night, or tape it? According to an article I read, "Sam" (aka Jim) is supposed to start remembering more of his life with Melinda, and will become more a part of her life. The guy who plays Sam will be gone by end of season, and Jim will remain. And oh! The song the show ended with this week, Stay by Shakespeare's Sister (1992), was absolutely PERFECT. Hope you were able to see it!
Yay for the good news that Jim's going to remember. I love Jim with a fiercness that should have me institutionalized. hehehehe