Weekend Review
So apparently, my parents are going through what I think of as a "Job Phase." (As in the book of Job.) Daddy's unemployed, Mama's having health issues and now her car is back in the shop, possibly unsaveable. It's been a rough few months for them and I'm at a complete and utter loss as to how to help them. I don't know why I feel like it's my job to save them, I just do. I feel like there should be SOMETHING.
Mama is borrowing my car for the time being--which I guess is a small something. Not nearly what I wish I could do to help out. But it's something.
Anyway, her car problem was the big drama of the weekend. It had been making a weird whiny noise for the past couple of days. When we got in the car Friday afternoon it didn't want to change gears. It wouldn't go beyond second. Well, we ran a couple of errands and decided to stop by the shop on the way back to my apartment to see if perhaps she was low on transmission fluid. She'd had a slow leak in the past so we thought that might be it.
Nope. Guy checked it, said it had plenty and sent us on our way. (They don't work on transmissions, so they couldn't offer much more assistance than that.) We barely made it back to my apartment, as her car refused to get out of first gear. It barely reversed going out of the shop's parking lot! We coasted into the parking spot in front of my apartment and Mama had a good cry.
I needed my car for the weekend and she was supposed to take Alyssa home with her so she didn't know what to do. I suggested she ask to borrow Sis2's car and wonder of wonders, Sis2 came through and sent them home with her car for the night.
I kind of worried about the selfish aspect of "I need my car" but what else was I supposed to do? I had to go grocery shopping Saturday and somehow get to church on Sunday? And Sis2 and Goofus have two vehicles. I don't. I wish now that I did. lol
But it worked out. I got my grocery shopping done Saturday morning (I came in $1 under budget!) and the folks got their night with Alyssa. Mama brought her back Saturday morning and I babysat her for a little while. Sis2 and Goofus were out doing their shopping and it was raining. Understandably, Mama didn't want to get Alyssa in and out of it while she did HER shopping. So I got to spend an hour or so with her. :-)
She got bored really quickly, though. Normally when I babysit her, we're at HER apartment. With all her toys. Aunt Jana doesn't have a lot of toys she's interested in. We did play with a couple of Libby's toys--some balls--for a little while but she got bored easily with that. And Libby wouldn't let her chase her, either. Guess I need to invest in a few fun toys for her, huh?
Sis2 came to pick her up and stayed to visit for a few minutes. I don't really remember what all we talked about but I enjoyed the visit. hehehe
Mama came back with lunch sometime later and Daddy came to pick her up. Ain't it funny how no matter how hard you try to keep a tidy house your parents will inevitably pick up on the ONE THING you forgot to do? *sigh* I know I'm too old to be annoyed by this but, you know, I DO keep a tidy house. It may need dusting more often than it gets but I'm not a junky person and nearly everything has it's place and generally resides there. I shouldn't let it bother me. I know I shouldn't. I guess I'm just proud of the fact that I DO have a neat and tidy house and so it bugs me when people nit pick. ESPECIALLY when you have to clean off a spot to be able to sit at THEIR house.
Anyway, off my soap box now. lol
The rest of the afternoon was pretty quiet. The neighbors were gone for most of the day, so Libby and I finished up our chores and spent the rest of the afternoon reading. Well, I read. She slept. Mostly. Every now and then she would get up, nose my book aside and give me slobbery puppy kisses before returning to her nap.
I wonder sometimes if she just doesn't need some reassurance that I'm still there or something. Cause she does that every time I read or am watching a movie while she naps. lol
Sunday I went out to the folks' house for church and lunch. Church was okay. I couldn't quite pay attention for some reason, but it was okay. Lunch was pretty good, too, I guess. Dessert was even better. We found a recipe for some peanut butter pudding topped brownies and they were AWESOME. Like any of us needed an awesome dessert but it sure was good. I got sent home with some, too, and I've been nibbling on it all week. Just a sliver a night. Enough to make me moan in ecstasy but not enough to make me hate myself. hehehehe
I got home fairly early Sunday evening so I read some more. BFF sent me a book for Christmas...The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. It's a more literary book than I normally read but it was good and I was determined to finish it so I could tell her I'd read it. It just took me longer because it took me a bit to get really interested in it. Plus, it had a little bit of a gross factor and my squeamish stomach had to take breaks at the gross parts. lol
And then, of course, I had to take a break to watch Desperate Housewives. I have a feeling that Katherine's got some bad news coming for her. Mostly because her character is sort of absent a lot but also because Mike's falling in love with her and that weird dude Eide married has it out for Mike. hehehe
Monday I was off work for MLK day. I managed to finish my book. It ended up rather well. I had sort of guessed the ultimate ending but there were a few surprises in there. Mama and Daddy had an appointment in town so they stopped by to pick up my car for her to take home. Daddy thinks I'm weird because of all the ghost shows I watch. I was watching a marathon on A&E of the show Paranormal State...their take on SciFi's Ghost Hunters which are actually two very different style shows. Same premise but totally different.
I can't help it that I'm into the paranormal and ghosts. *shrugs*
The rest of Monday passed by fairly peacefully. Libby and I channel surfed, took a nap in the afternoon and generally just loafed around. It was great. Not like I could go anywhere, anyway, without a car!
Yesterday was back to work. *sigh* Joy.
Hey, I don't complain too much, though. I'm just thankful to be employed!
Mama is borrowing my car for the time being--which I guess is a small something. Not nearly what I wish I could do to help out. But it's something.
Anyway, her car problem was the big drama of the weekend. It had been making a weird whiny noise for the past couple of days. When we got in the car Friday afternoon it didn't want to change gears. It wouldn't go beyond second. Well, we ran a couple of errands and decided to stop by the shop on the way back to my apartment to see if perhaps she was low on transmission fluid. She'd had a slow leak in the past so we thought that might be it.
Nope. Guy checked it, said it had plenty and sent us on our way. (They don't work on transmissions, so they couldn't offer much more assistance than that.) We barely made it back to my apartment, as her car refused to get out of first gear. It barely reversed going out of the shop's parking lot! We coasted into the parking spot in front of my apartment and Mama had a good cry.
I needed my car for the weekend and she was supposed to take Alyssa home with her so she didn't know what to do. I suggested she ask to borrow Sis2's car and wonder of wonders, Sis2 came through and sent them home with her car for the night.
I kind of worried about the selfish aspect of "I need my car" but what else was I supposed to do? I had to go grocery shopping Saturday and somehow get to church on Sunday? And Sis2 and Goofus have two vehicles. I don't. I wish now that I did. lol
But it worked out. I got my grocery shopping done Saturday morning (I came in $1 under budget!) and the folks got their night with Alyssa. Mama brought her back Saturday morning and I babysat her for a little while. Sis2 and Goofus were out doing their shopping and it was raining. Understandably, Mama didn't want to get Alyssa in and out of it while she did HER shopping. So I got to spend an hour or so with her. :-)
She got bored really quickly, though. Normally when I babysit her, we're at HER apartment. With all her toys. Aunt Jana doesn't have a lot of toys she's interested in. We did play with a couple of Libby's toys--some balls--for a little while but she got bored easily with that. And Libby wouldn't let her chase her, either. Guess I need to invest in a few fun toys for her, huh?
Sis2 came to pick her up and stayed to visit for a few minutes. I don't really remember what all we talked about but I enjoyed the visit. hehehe
Mama came back with lunch sometime later and Daddy came to pick her up. Ain't it funny how no matter how hard you try to keep a tidy house your parents will inevitably pick up on the ONE THING you forgot to do? *sigh* I know I'm too old to be annoyed by this but, you know, I DO keep a tidy house. It may need dusting more often than it gets but I'm not a junky person and nearly everything has it's place and generally resides there. I shouldn't let it bother me. I know I shouldn't. I guess I'm just proud of the fact that I DO have a neat and tidy house and so it bugs me when people nit pick. ESPECIALLY when you have to clean off a spot to be able to sit at THEIR house.
Anyway, off my soap box now. lol
The rest of the afternoon was pretty quiet. The neighbors were gone for most of the day, so Libby and I finished up our chores and spent the rest of the afternoon reading. Well, I read. She slept. Mostly. Every now and then she would get up, nose my book aside and give me slobbery puppy kisses before returning to her nap.
I wonder sometimes if she just doesn't need some reassurance that I'm still there or something. Cause she does that every time I read or am watching a movie while she naps. lol
Sunday I went out to the folks' house for church and lunch. Church was okay. I couldn't quite pay attention for some reason, but it was okay. Lunch was pretty good, too, I guess. Dessert was even better. We found a recipe for some peanut butter pudding topped brownies and they were AWESOME. Like any of us needed an awesome dessert but it sure was good. I got sent home with some, too, and I've been nibbling on it all week. Just a sliver a night. Enough to make me moan in ecstasy but not enough to make me hate myself. hehehehe
I got home fairly early Sunday evening so I read some more. BFF sent me a book for Christmas...The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. It's a more literary book than I normally read but it was good and I was determined to finish it so I could tell her I'd read it. It just took me longer because it took me a bit to get really interested in it. Plus, it had a little bit of a gross factor and my squeamish stomach had to take breaks at the gross parts. lol
And then, of course, I had to take a break to watch Desperate Housewives. I have a feeling that Katherine's got some bad news coming for her. Mostly because her character is sort of absent a lot but also because Mike's falling in love with her and that weird dude Eide married has it out for Mike. hehehe
Monday I was off work for MLK day. I managed to finish my book. It ended up rather well. I had sort of guessed the ultimate ending but there were a few surprises in there. Mama and Daddy had an appointment in town so they stopped by to pick up my car for her to take home. Daddy thinks I'm weird because of all the ghost shows I watch. I was watching a marathon on A&E of the show Paranormal State...their take on SciFi's Ghost Hunters which are actually two very different style shows. Same premise but totally different.
I can't help it that I'm into the paranormal and ghosts. *shrugs*
The rest of Monday passed by fairly peacefully. Libby and I channel surfed, took a nap in the afternoon and generally just loafed around. It was great. Not like I could go anywhere, anyway, without a car!
Yesterday was back to work. *sigh* Joy.
Hey, I don't complain too much, though. I'm just thankful to be employed!
Comments