Cleanin' Up.

So this weekend was the practice run for moving day. Sis1 came in from T-Town with the plan to help me move some boxes to the new house. I was just SURE that between her big SUV and my car we could get most, if not all, of the boxes moved.
Except--*sigh*
Sis1 recently got a new SUV. A GMC something or other. Unlike the Expedition she had, the seats in the back don't fold all the way flat. Meaning? Well, not so many boxes would fit in it that I was planning on. Last year, we loaded her Expedition down with ALL the boxes. This year? Maybe half. I managed to fit about six in the trunk of my car.
We got up early and went on a donut run first thing. Which was great except she made me by a cappuccino at the donut shop instead of running across the highway to get one from Micky D's. And whether you hate Micky D's or not (which I don't. I love them), they haz some killer cappuccino's. Like, for realz. The donut shop? Not so much. They use the machine that mixes the powder with milk and foams it up. Super sweet and no so much a coffee as it is thick milky mess.
But I managed to choke down half of it and didn't even complain. Not to Sis1 anyway. I complained silently to myself. Mumbled under my breath once alone in my car. But not once to Sis1. She likes them and apparently hasn't yet become addicted to MickyD's cappuccinos. A shame, really. But I'm working on her. *sigh*
So anyway, donuts inhaled, we started loading up the vehicles by 7:30 or so and were at the new house around 9:30. And ya'll, it was already steamy. Steamy, as in, our clothes stuck to our bodies and a fine sheen of moisture clung to our skin. Not just sweat. No, the sweat is a separate entity. The fine sheen of moisture is all the crappy humidity. Blech.
But we survived and thanked GOD for air conditioning as we wiped our faces and set out to work on cleaning once the boxes were unloaded.
This is in the dining room.Sis1 actually did most of the cleaning. I don't really remember exactly what all I did. Handed her stuff maybe? She insisted on doing the bathrooms, though, and she scrubbed until they sparkled. Emmy showed up about an hour into our cleaning and wanted to help. So I set her to work sweeping and using the Swiffer wetjet to mop. The Swiffer's great, but I really need a good soapy mop to really make the floor shine.

Emmy Swiffering the living room.
While Daddy set to work on installing new locks and the girls worked (and Mama complained of a stomach ache) Libby and I stepped outside to survey our kingdom. I took her over the entire 1.5 acres and she christened the place, deeming it suitable. Of course, the grass was still damp from the morning dew (and the fine sheen of humidity) and as it had been cut the previous day, all the lovely grass shavings stuck to her legs. A fact Emmy was not pleased about when we returned inside and the DP began shedding the grass shavings all over her freshly swept and swiffered floors. hehehehehe
Libby made herself at home.
But we worked like worker bees, getting drapes hung, the guest bath put together, locks changed and the mailbox installed. I went around with a hammer and removed all the random nails the previous owners left behind. And believe, there were a TON of them. I think it's fair to say that my house is ready for the coming weekend when we move the entire contents of my apartment to it.
Sunday, being Father's Day, we all congregated at the folks' house. Daddy, bless his heart, had to do the grilling on his big day. But we said that he'd have complained about our cooking had we done it since no body can work a grill like he can. hehehe He grilled chicken and smoked sausages and my great aunt came to eat with us.
And then Mama set about to make some homemade ice cream. Except she lost her can of sweetened condensed milk. Just bought it last week but lost it somewhere in the chaos of her kitchen. The only thing that surprises me about that is that she doesn't lose MORE stuff in there. It's a mess, for real. lol
So my aunt ran home to get the can she had and we finally set to making it. Except, halfway through the mixing/freezing process, I ask Mama, "Did you remember to put in the cool whip?" And so then there was a bit of a harried process of stopping the freezer and adding the cool whip while praying for the best. lol
In the end, the cream came out delicious and we all wondered what's so great about the store bought stuff anyway. hehehe
And Daddy had a great Father's Day.
I got home around 6:30 or 7, exhausted from the crazy busy weekend. Libs and I dozed on the couch for about an hour before I finally made myself get up and finish the laundry and wash dishes. Decided to pack a few more things. And no, I'm still not quite done.
And you know, in all this packing, I've really started to feel ashamed at how much STUFF I have. I mean, it really is shameful. There are people in my family who've recently lost nearly EVERYTHING and here I've got all this STUFF that I don't need, rarely use but can't bare to part with because it's so pretty. I need to let go of it, I'm realizing. What's the point of hanging on to all this stuff? It's just stuff to clutter up my life.
Wish I'd thought of that BEFORE I packed it all up. *sigh* lol
Oh, and my duplex neighbors are back. *pout* They must've come in sometime last night after I went to bed because they were there this morning in all their annoying glory. They let their dog out the same time I had Libby out and you know that didn't go over well with Libs. And I got annoyed on her behalf.
BUT...Just three more days and I never have to live next door to them again! Yay!
This week has been filled with all the little details of moving. I bought my appliances yesterday. A stove and refrigerator. They only set me back about $900. *wince* Yeah, I know that's not exactly a WHOLE lot when talking about buying appliances. But yeah. It hurt my wallet for sure. My meager savings screamed in agony. hehehe
While we were in Lowe's a thunderstorm blew through so we ended up staying in there longer than we'd planned. Which was okay. I picked out paint samples for painting the guest bath and possibly the paneling. I haven't made up my mind on painting the paneling. I think I am, though. And Mama is determined to get me a new carpet for my bedroom. So we picked out carpet and she said she'd go by later this week and see what it would cost and get it ordered. It's an 11 x 17 room so it shouldn't cost much.
I'll tell you what, though. I have GOT to learn my new address. lol I gave them the wrong delivery address for the appliances. I realized it when I got home so I called Mama and told her. She offered to go back up to Lowes and have them correct it. Except...lol...she gave them the same exact wrong address. lol She called me after she left and we had a good laugh about it. She called back up there last night and fixed it so it's all good. I just really need to learn it. It's a four digit number and for some reason I just can't seem to get it to stick in my head.
I got in the spare room last night and took apart the daybed. I wasn't exactly very bright in the way I went about it. Nearly hurt myself a few times. But I was determined to do it to save time on Saturday. Got some more stuff bagged and boxed.
Oy. I'm already exhausted thinking about what all I've got to do Saturday. I'm just not gonna think about it anymore. hehehe
Anyway, today I've been doing the lovely task of filling out change of address forms. Fortunately, so much of that stuff can be done on line it's been a cinch. Even forwarding your address with the PO can be done online. So three cheers for the internet. lol
And that's what's up with me right now.
Comments