That which does not kill us...

Or make us wish we were dead, doesn’t really matter. Or so I feel, anyway.

I read this article on MSN this morning about how dangerous wearing flip flops can be. Not because you might slice your toe open or something really dangerous like that. No. They meant because of germs.

Yes. You heard me. Germs. Those things that are everywhere and impossible to avoid. Those things that, unless they come into contact with your nose, mouth or eyes or say, an open wound, can’t really hurt you. Yeah, they definitely aren’t good, but you know, things are germy. Feet are germy. Fact: flip flops or not, feet are germy. Granted, yes, the germ factor is raised when your feet are practically bare. But they’re feet. It’s not like you go around licking them. And I never heard of anyone dying from wearing flip flops. So until someone does, I’ll be wearing mine. Thanks.

Also, you know all the hoopla about toilets, right? How each flush yields a ton of germ spray? It gets all over everything? I was just reading some comments to an archived post on Young House Love. The post was one of those burning question types to just get folks talking. Lid or no lid. Seat or no seat. You know, up or down on the toilet? The majority was all like, “Oh, seat AND lid ALWAYS down. The Germs! The Germs!”

Dude, nobody’s ever died from flushing a gall darned toilet with the lid up. In fact, everything I’ve read says that the germs fly with the lid up OR down. And anyway, studies have shown that once the spray has dried, the germs die anyway so it’s all good. So there. Germophobes.

I do realize that germs can be a serious thing. By all means—Wash your freakin’ hands, folks! Don’t cough in my face. And for goodness sake, cover your face when you sneeze.

That said, I just found out while writing this that the library has its first documented case of H1N1 aka Swine Flu. A dude in Gov Docs just called in with it and one of his gal pals just went over to the health center because she thinks she’s got it. Of course, my first thoughts were, ‘I passed him on the elevator Monday. If I get swine flu I’m kicking his butt.’

But then it occurred to me, if I get it, it probably won’t be directly from him. It’ll be from his two other gal pals in my mother’s department. They’ll give it to her and she’ll give it to me and then I’m kicking ALL their butts. LOL

And you know, of course, sitting here now I’m thinking, ‘Gosh, does my throat hurt? I think it hurts. And I’ve got a sniffly nose this morning. Lord help me, I think I’ve got swine flu.’

*rolls eyes*

At any rate, I guess this last part serves as a lesson: Don’t waste your time worrying that your flip flops are going to give you a disease—the dude you just passed in the hall’s got it covered. Be sure and send him a thank you note.

Comments

Heather said…
"And you know, of course, sitting here now I’m thinking, ‘Gosh, does my throat hurt? I think it hurts. And I’ve got a sniffly nose this morning.'"

Umm...that's me almost every morning. Allergies! :-\

And ROFL at your last paragraph. The thing about feet, though, is that you can pick up stuff through the cuticles or cracked skin if they're dry and scaley. This is why they actually recommend flip flops for showers at camp sites. Don't even want to think of what's on the floor of those showers!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today