If you've never ordered novels from
eHarlequin.com you may not know what I'm talking about when I say Bonus Bucks so here's the short of it. With each order you earn a couple of little slips of paper called Bonus Bucks and when accumulated, these little slips of paper allow you to "buy" some free stuff from a catalog of items listed on the website or that comes in the little magazine Harlequin sends out periodically.
In the past I've gotten some really neat stuff through the bonus bucks program. A gorgeous table runner, a set of blue iced tea glasses, and a lovely little pocket mirror to name a few of the non-book items I've "purchased."
So when I saw that they were offering a tote bag celebrating their 60th anniversary, I was stoked. It looked so cool in the picture, sporting a vintage cover and all. So I saved up 9 Bonus Bucks, sent off my $3.99 to cover shipping and waited. And waited and waited and waited. I waited with great anticipation to receive my sweet tote.
And yesterday I finally got it. It was in a tiny little box the size I normally receive a small order of books in. I raced into the house and eagerly ripped the box open and...and...
Here's the description listed on the catalog:
HARLEQUIN 60TH ANNIVERSARY TOTE BAG
This gorgeous tote will help you celebrate Harlequin’s landmark anniversary in style! Perfect for the beach, the gym, the mall and everywhere in between, this tote makes it easy to stay organized.
Retail Value: $10.00
But...but...It's awful!
I was so disappointed when I unfolded it from the little ball they had it wadded up in. Conceptually, it's totally cool. The vintage book cover could have been gorgeous. But it's made out of some kind of plastic or plastic coated fabric, hence it wanting to stay shaped to the fold it had been in, it's HUGE in depth but not in width and has absolutely no pockets for organizing stuff. It's only fastener of any kind is a flimsy little plastic button at the very top. Very poorly made and just plane awful.
I don't know why, but I had expected it to be canvas...you know, something nice. And maybe have a couple of zippered pockets inside. And maybe not make me want to cry with disappointment.
Total waste of my bonus bucks AND the $3.99 shipping. I wouldn't have bought this at the DOLLAR store, much less paid the alleged $10 retail price. Color me disillusioned. :-(
Comments