Spray Paint Ho

So maybe the world will one day regret that I ever discovered spray paint because, hooo boy, am I enjoying the POWER of spray paint. Don't like the way something looks? Just spray paint it! That's my new motto. hehehehe


Wednesday, after the yummy heat pump dude left I was trying to come down from the high I got off all that gorgeous eye candy. So I decided to sniff paint. Well, to be more accurate, I decided to finally get around to spray painting a couple of lamps. I've had them for eight years, having bought them for a dollar a piece from a friend just prior to moving into my first rental. They were a brassy gold color. Which I liked eight years ago. Eight years later? Sorta tired of it.


So back when I was shopping for the black spray paint for the tray and mirror, I stumbled on the fact that they sell brushed nickle looking spray paint! I like the look of brushed nickle. It's light, it's crisp and clean. And totally modern. So I bought it a couple weeks ago. And then I shoved it under the mudroom table and looked at it for a while.


So Wednesday I thought, I've got to stop giggling. I need a project. The lamps cringed. The DP looked at me dubiously. But I persevered and got to work.



All I did to prep it was to bag and tape off the portions I didn't want painted and give it a quick wipe with a damp paper towel. (I forgot to dust all the dog hair off the bottom of it, though, so there's now brushed nickle colored dog hair glued to the bottom. Oops!)



See the difference? Dated gold/brass and sleek satin brushed nickle...like night and day. (pay no attention to the Sat. dish in the background. hehehe)


Once I finished spray painting and let them dry for an hour I went back outside to collect them only to find that my spray painting skills are about as questionable as my spelling skills. *sigh* I'd failed to reach the "underbelly" of the some of the curves. So I had to go BACK over those spots and then let them dry for ANOTHER hour.

Which was all good. Cause while I waited, I realized how filthy the lampshades were with dog hair and dust. (I won't even BEGIN to tell you about the amount of dog hair I swept up from beneath the couch when I pulled it out earlier that day! It's totally cringeworthy, though. Promise.) So I got out the brush I normally use to scrub the tub (that's not gross, it it? I mean, it was completely DRY.), took the shades outside and brushed them off until they were the clean creamy hairless condition they were when I bought them.

And voila! Two new lamps for around three smackers!

Not exactly how I pictured them, but I think it all came out alright. I'll live with them for a while, anyway. And you know, if I decide I don't like, Krylon's got a TON of color choices to try out still. hehehehe

Comments

Heather said…
Well aren't be becoming quite the little do-it-yourselfer! lol The lamps turned out nice!
Jana said…
LOL I'm breaking myself in for the really HARD stuff I've got planned down the road. I've got a list a mile long, yanno. ;-)
Heather said…
It's always good to start small and work up to the big stuff.

BTW, have you heard of Jennie Bentley's "Do-It-Yourself" mystery series, FATAL FIXER-UPPERand SPACKLED AND SPOOKED? The first was out last year, the second last month (and a third out in March...yay! Happy Birthday Me!). Really good cozy mysteries that might interest you.

I'd steer clear of the movie "The Money Pit," though. That could give you nightmares. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today