Hot Buttons
Everyone has them, right? Those little personal issues that when pointed out by others really gets us steaming?
Yeah. I've got my fair share. I'll admit, I can be more than a little touchy on some subjects and moody as hell. With that said, the pastor hit on two of my hot button issues last night. And I know he was just trying to be funny (he thinks he's a riot and loves to tease) but my hot button issues don't give a flying fig if you're "just picking."
Mama hit on another hot button issue this morning. And I knew the instant I stepped off the elevator with my toasty cream cheesy delicious bagel and noticed that it wasn't quite ten o'clock (meaning she wasn't back at her desk from her break yet and instead, still in the lounge where I was headed) that she'd hit it. And still, I got annoyed. If I hadn't been meeting my friends for break in that very same lounge, I would have turned around and enjoyed my bagel elsewhere. But noooo, I had to go in the lounge anyway. And sure enough. Hot button? Direct hit. Again, under the supposed guise of "picking."
Well I don't like to be picked on, thankyouverymuch. Especially not about my eating habits (or weight and spending...both of which are the REAL issue behind my hot button with the eating habits and why Mama finds it necessary to "pick" about them.) Nor do I like being picked on about my lack of marital status and the fact that I don't sing a solo in church every freakin' Sunday (the pastor's hot button choices).
You know what pushing those hot buttons actually does? It makes me dig in my heels and REFUSE to sing ever again. Trust me. I went four years without picking up a mic because I got tired of being harassed every Sunday. Even left one church largely due to that. And I'll be blessed if I'm gonna get married just because they want kids in the church. And as for my weekly bagel splurge, I'll eat one every darn day if I darn well please and if somebody doesn't like it I'll kindly tell them where they can stuff it.
And those are just a few of my hot button issues. They're the ones that get pressed the most, too, because everyone seems to have an interest in when I'm getting married, the fact that I have a decent singing voice (and why don't you use it more often???) and what I look like/eat/spend.
Granted, that last one is mainly pressed by my mother because I suppose that's what mothers do. It's as though the instant I first expressed some discontent with my weight and my struggle to eat healthier she took that as an open invitation to critique, second guess and voice an opinion about everything she sees me put in my mouth. And the instant I mentioned that I was working on better spending/saving habits (and stupidly tried to help her by outlining my approach) she took that as an open invitation to monitor how well (or not) I'm doing with it. Because HER spending/saving habits are fabulous--NOT!
Sometimes it's just not worth the angst and aggravation of opening yourself up to others because the minute you do...ZAP! There they go pressing those hot buttons like nobody's business. That, in itself, is probably why I'm not married! LOL
And, dear pastor, even if by some weird and strange stroke of fate I DO actually get married before I'm 100? You need not look to ME to repopulate the church with wee ones. My uterus is not open for occupants, thnx.
So, what are some of ya'll's hot button issues? Care to share? And who presses 'em most often?
Yeah. I've got my fair share. I'll admit, I can be more than a little touchy on some subjects and moody as hell. With that said, the pastor hit on two of my hot button issues last night. And I know he was just trying to be funny (he thinks he's a riot and loves to tease) but my hot button issues don't give a flying fig if you're "just picking."
Mama hit on another hot button issue this morning. And I knew the instant I stepped off the elevator with my toasty cream cheesy delicious bagel and noticed that it wasn't quite ten o'clock (meaning she wasn't back at her desk from her break yet and instead, still in the lounge where I was headed) that she'd hit it. And still, I got annoyed. If I hadn't been meeting my friends for break in that very same lounge, I would have turned around and enjoyed my bagel elsewhere. But noooo, I had to go in the lounge anyway. And sure enough. Hot button? Direct hit. Again, under the supposed guise of "picking."
Well I don't like to be picked on, thankyouverymuch. Especially not about my eating habits (or weight and spending...both of which are the REAL issue behind my hot button with the eating habits and why Mama finds it necessary to "pick" about them.) Nor do I like being picked on about my lack of marital status and the fact that I don't sing a solo in church every freakin' Sunday (the pastor's hot button choices).
You know what pushing those hot buttons actually does? It makes me dig in my heels and REFUSE to sing ever again. Trust me. I went four years without picking up a mic because I got tired of being harassed every Sunday. Even left one church largely due to that. And I'll be blessed if I'm gonna get married just because they want kids in the church. And as for my weekly bagel splurge, I'll eat one every darn day if I darn well please and if somebody doesn't like it I'll kindly tell them where they can stuff it.
And those are just a few of my hot button issues. They're the ones that get pressed the most, too, because everyone seems to have an interest in when I'm getting married, the fact that I have a decent singing voice (and why don't you use it more often???) and what I look like/eat/spend.
Granted, that last one is mainly pressed by my mother because I suppose that's what mothers do. It's as though the instant I first expressed some discontent with my weight and my struggle to eat healthier she took that as an open invitation to critique, second guess and voice an opinion about everything she sees me put in my mouth. And the instant I mentioned that I was working on better spending/saving habits (and stupidly tried to help her by outlining my approach) she took that as an open invitation to monitor how well (or not) I'm doing with it. Because HER spending/saving habits are fabulous--NOT!
Sometimes it's just not worth the angst and aggravation of opening yourself up to others because the minute you do...ZAP! There they go pressing those hot buttons like nobody's business. That, in itself, is probably why I'm not married! LOL
And, dear pastor, even if by some weird and strange stroke of fate I DO actually get married before I'm 100? You need not look to ME to repopulate the church with wee ones. My uterus is not open for occupants, thnx.
So, what are some of ya'll's hot button issues? Care to share? And who presses 'em most often?
Comments
{{{HUGS}}} Hope the rest of your day is brighter!
You, on the other hand (and a couple other friends I know who don't drive and live in cities) I can understand not wanting to and not feeling the need to drive/own a car. If I had good public transportation I'd probably use it, too!
But boy, ain't it just great when folks just harp away on the stuff they KNOW irritates us? Or even if they DON'T know that it irritates us...don't they think they can give it a rest already?
I mean, honestly, does the pastor think he's the ONLY person who asks me about or mentions my marital status? It's a hot topic at family gatherings, let me tell you. And yet NO ONE nags my unmarried male cousins about when they're gettin' hitched or why don't they have a sig. other.
Do you ever TELL your sister to get over it? Cause I've tried that maybe ONCE with my mother and she got offended/hurt so I apologized and it started the vicious cycle all over again. lol
Sisters! :-P~~