It's Gonna Be a Loooong Day
It's Friday. I'd be more excited if I didn't have to work till 5pm today, but alas, we're having a special thingamajig in our department and I have to cover the ref. desk so that the bosses can be social. Allegedly, I volunteered my services. Apparently when my boss says "Jana I need you to cover," and I say, "Yes, ma'am," that means I'm volunteering. Didn't know saying no was an option. lol
I hate working till 5, though. Not only does it make my day seem super long (since I get here at 7:30) it also means that I'm leaving in the midst of all the nasty five o'clock traffic. I hate five o'clock traffic. It's nearly impossible to get off campus at five. Traffic bumper to bumper, folks pulling out in front of folks, pedestrians streaming across crosswalks en mass. Ugh! It'll take at LEAST 30 minutes just to get out of the parking lot and into the flow of traffic.
But, I do what I must because, hey. At least I have a job, right? And not a bad job, at that.
Anyway, got a busy weekend ahead. Sis2 is FINALLY getting on the ball and getting some packing done and she's asked Mama and me (and yes, that's the correct grammar in case you didn't know!) to come help her tomorrow. I'd volunteered WEEKS ago to help but they kept putting it off and putting it off. Three weeks before she's due to spit out a kid and move out of their apartment (whether their house is finished or not!) and she calls and says, "Hey, you busy Saturday?" Powers of procrastination...Sis2's got 'em! lol
I didn't tell her that I'd earmarked Saturday to paint at my own house. Figured she needs my help more than my ugly wood paneling needs paint so I said yes. And then she called Mama and Mama said yes. So I guess I'll be spending another Saturday with my family. Joy.
I love my family, I really really do with a cherry on top. But...I think I spend WAY too much time with them. Almost to the point where my whole life revolves around them. I make my plans with them in mind...checking to see if they have made plans FOR me before planning anything ahead. Heck, I scheduled the entire months of October and November so that I'd be available should Sis2 and Goofus need me to help move or help keep Lyssa once the baby comes. But I guess so long as none of it drives me to a nervous breakdown, I don't mind it so much. Better than not HAVING any family.
But I do find myself envying Sis1 at times. She's off in T-Town doing her own thing, living her crazy busy life with Emmy and BIL. They're super involved in church and BIL has his model airplanes and the lifestyle doing fly-ins and air shows that goes with it, and Emmy's involved in dance and stuff and it keeps them so busy that they don't always attend the command performances with the folks. Of course they get talked about like DOGS by my parents and Sis2 is convinced that Sis1 doesn't love her anymore. And I'll admit, I've wondered if Sis1 even loves ME anymore. But you know, I really can't blame her for living her life, doing her thing and NOT being so overwhelmingly involved with the family stuff. Sometimes I really wish I had a life outside my family.
On the other hand, though, I hate being busy all the time. I do enjoy the peaceful retreat of my home. And once all this baby business is accomplished and Sis2 and Goofus are all moved into their new house (if it ever gets finished!) that life will resume to that peaceful retreat. I hope. Maybe then I can get the ugly paneling painted.
I am going to try to carve out a few hours Sunday afternoon to get started on the guest bath spruce I've been planning. At least get the part done that I can get done while waiting on my uncle to find a minute or two to come change out the light fixtures I bought. I wish I were the type of DIYer who knew how to change out her OWN light fixtures. It can't be that hard, right? But my luck I'd end up electrocuting myself. Not pretty. My hair's frizzy enough, thanks.
So while I wait, I'm going to go ahead and paint the vanity (cabinet, whatever) black. Think I may go ahead and paint the vanity in the master bath black, too. I like the sleek polished look of black cabinetry. Eventually I may paint my kitchen cabinets black, too. And I've got a table thingy I'm thinking of painting the green that I bought for the walls in the guest bath. Haven't made up my mind on that one, though. It could definitely use a spruce, that's for sure.
Anyway, I've probably bored ya'll enough with my insane ramblings. So I'll leave ya'll with...
Happy Friday!
I hate working till 5, though. Not only does it make my day seem super long (since I get here at 7:30) it also means that I'm leaving in the midst of all the nasty five o'clock traffic. I hate five o'clock traffic. It's nearly impossible to get off campus at five. Traffic bumper to bumper, folks pulling out in front of folks, pedestrians streaming across crosswalks en mass. Ugh! It'll take at LEAST 30 minutes just to get out of the parking lot and into the flow of traffic.
But, I do what I must because, hey. At least I have a job, right? And not a bad job, at that.
Anyway, got a busy weekend ahead. Sis2 is FINALLY getting on the ball and getting some packing done and she's asked Mama and me (and yes, that's the correct grammar in case you didn't know!) to come help her tomorrow. I'd volunteered WEEKS ago to help but they kept putting it off and putting it off. Three weeks before she's due to spit out a kid and move out of their apartment (whether their house is finished or not!) and she calls and says, "Hey, you busy Saturday?" Powers of procrastination...Sis2's got 'em! lol
I didn't tell her that I'd earmarked Saturday to paint at my own house. Figured she needs my help more than my ugly wood paneling needs paint so I said yes. And then she called Mama and Mama said yes. So I guess I'll be spending another Saturday with my family. Joy.
I love my family, I really really do with a cherry on top. But...I think I spend WAY too much time with them. Almost to the point where my whole life revolves around them. I make my plans with them in mind...checking to see if they have made plans FOR me before planning anything ahead. Heck, I scheduled the entire months of October and November so that I'd be available should Sis2 and Goofus need me to help move or help keep Lyssa once the baby comes. But I guess so long as none of it drives me to a nervous breakdown, I don't mind it so much. Better than not HAVING any family.
But I do find myself envying Sis1 at times. She's off in T-Town doing her own thing, living her crazy busy life with Emmy and BIL. They're super involved in church and BIL has his model airplanes and the lifestyle doing fly-ins and air shows that goes with it, and Emmy's involved in dance and stuff and it keeps them so busy that they don't always attend the command performances with the folks. Of course they get talked about like DOGS by my parents and Sis2 is convinced that Sis1 doesn't love her anymore. And I'll admit, I've wondered if Sis1 even loves ME anymore. But you know, I really can't blame her for living her life, doing her thing and NOT being so overwhelmingly involved with the family stuff. Sometimes I really wish I had a life outside my family.
On the other hand, though, I hate being busy all the time. I do enjoy the peaceful retreat of my home. And once all this baby business is accomplished and Sis2 and Goofus are all moved into their new house (if it ever gets finished!) that life will resume to that peaceful retreat. I hope. Maybe then I can get the ugly paneling painted.
I am going to try to carve out a few hours Sunday afternoon to get started on the guest bath spruce I've been planning. At least get the part done that I can get done while waiting on my uncle to find a minute or two to come change out the light fixtures I bought. I wish I were the type of DIYer who knew how to change out her OWN light fixtures. It can't be that hard, right? But my luck I'd end up electrocuting myself. Not pretty. My hair's frizzy enough, thanks.
So while I wait, I'm going to go ahead and paint the vanity (cabinet, whatever) black. Think I may go ahead and paint the vanity in the master bath black, too. I like the sleek polished look of black cabinetry. Eventually I may paint my kitchen cabinets black, too. And I've got a table thingy I'm thinking of painting the green that I bought for the walls in the guest bath. Haven't made up my mind on that one, though. It could definitely use a spruce, that's for sure.
Anyway, I've probably bored ya'll enough with my insane ramblings. So I'll leave ya'll with...
Happy Friday!
Comments