Chopped, Sauteed and Completely Fried

You know, this was supposed to be a good, relaxing weekend, right? I was going to go ahead and put my tree up, do some cooking for our Thanksgiving lunch at church and generally just hang out and do my own thing.

God is soooooo laughing at me and my plans right now.

Saturday started out pretty normal. Well, normal in the sense that I got up early to do grocery shopping. NOT normal in the amount of money I spent. I think this time of year just does something screwy to my normally careful internal budgeter. I dragged out Ms. Visa and totally made my head explode when I realized what I'd done.

I bought groceries for cooking and baking. I bought stuff for the kids. I bought frivolous miscellaneous stuff like the new Veggie Tales Christmas DVD. I bought curtains which I thought were on clearance but turns out they weren't. Those, however, will be going back.

But, you know, Thanksgiving cooking requires groceries so I can just suck it up and get over it. My fridge, however, is in shock. "What is all this...this...STUFF on my shelves?" he groans. Sissy. It's not THAT much.

And remember my big plans to try my hand at making stuffing/dressing for the first time? Well, I bought the stuff for it and was in the middle of chopping celery and onions when my mother called. Goofus was taking Sis2 to the ER and it wasn't looking great. Before I go on, I just want to make sure you know, she's fine now. Everything's okay.

I won't go into all the details because they're personal but it involved blood and her passing out.

Ya'll...I freaked. I cried while I hurriedly got dressed and then I went numb. All I could do was pray and try not to fall apart. This is my absolute BEST FRIEND besides being my sister, you know? I just...I don't even want to recall all the awful fear that lived with me during that drive to the hospital. And that was the LONGEST drive. I can only think of maybe a couple other times in my life that I've been this scared--when Daddy had his heart attack and that first phone call when they said he had leukemia.

By the time we got there, they'd already taken her back and had her hooked up to an IV. The doctor hadn't been in to see her yet but just knowing that she was in a place that would see to it that she was okay was a huge relief.

Mama and I took the kids and waited in the waiting room. We didn't keep them in the ER waiting room, though. Too many germs. Instead we went to the main waiting room. Anytime they had any updates, they did think to call. And thank God it turned out to not be as serious as it could have been and they were able to get it all sorted out. She did end up spending the night at the hospital and came home early yesterday morning. She's on strict orders to take it easy. Not quite complete bed rest, but as close to it as she can possibly be.

But, oh my gosh. I could have totally lived without that scare. You know, I just don't even want to imagine what the worst would have been like. *shudders*

I'm just emotionally and physically drained from it all. We all are. The waiting was the worst and having to keep it all together so as not to scare Alyssa. She seems to not have had any idea that anything was wrong. Which was good.

Anyway, by the time I got home Saturday night, I could do little more than fall onto the couch and love on the DP. I did watch a DVD for some distraction and that helped. The entertainment industry just does not know what good therapy they are. lol

So Sunday morning I got up and got to cooking. Finished the sausage dressing and then a broccoli casserole. I'd managed to do my pie before I went to bed Saturday night--it was four ingredients and no baking involved. Not rocket science. lol

My broccoli and the pie came out perfect. The sausage dressing? Eh. Not so much. For one thing, it weighted forty pounds. For another, it was packy and tasted mostly like cornbread. All that chopping, sauteing and mixing to get a packy forty pound pan of mostly cornbread. Probably because I miscalculated what 5 cups of cornbread looks like. *sigh* Needless to say, only a small corner of it got eaten at the church lunch. And that was just me and Daddy eating it. lol The broccoli and pie, though, were a hit. I had folks asking me for the pie recipe. :)

Cream cheese, sugar, half and half, toffee bits and cool whip poured into an oreo shell and frozen. Easy peasy. If you're interested, I'll try to remember to post the whole recipe tomorrow or Wednesday.

Last night was dedicated strictly to fun. Fun that I sorely needed. I think I already told you that my friends and I had tickets to see New Moon, right?

Well, to keep from spilling any spoilers all I'll say is this...Werewolves Rule, Vampires Drool. I had naughty dreams about a certain "wolf pack" all night last night. Yum! And if you liked the book, you'll enjoy the movie. To me, it was actually better than Twilight. Not as gray and heavy or dark. It had plenty of giggles and did I mention the hottie werewolves? Yum!

After the movie (which was packed, omigosh, and I had to circle the lot like a dozen times to find a parking space when someone from an earlier showing left. lol) we went to eat Mexican and talked girl talk and werewolves and Mrs. B and I drank pina coladas while E and A drank margaritas. I think we're all a bunch of lightweights, though, because we got a little bit silly as the night wore on. lol It was great. Totally what I needed after Saturday. And yeah, I made it home safely. We blew through two baskets of chips plush our quesedillas to make sure we weren't all that tipsy. I think mostly we were all just so giddy from New Moon and actually be out and away from stress more than we were silly from alcohal. lol

This morning, though? I'm totally fried. And I've still got to get my tree up before Wednesday because Sis1 threatened that if I didn't, she'd help me with it Wednesday night. And I know it's probably silly but...I don't want Sis1 to help. I want to do it myself because I know how I want it done. lol I'll probably do it in two phases. Put the thing together tonight and decorate it tomorrow night.

Either way, it'll get done. Be it this week or next. *shrugs*

Comments

Heather said…
Glad your sister is okay. I had heard that New Moon is better than Twilight. With the first, it seemed to me like there were integral parts of the plot left out (like vamp hierarchy). It totally blew away the box office, raking in $140.7 million -- at a distant second was The Blind Side (really want to see this one) with $34.5 million in US sales.

As for the tree, I always used to do my big tree in two stages. The first day I would put it together and add lights. Day two I would concentrate on ornaments and tinsel or garland (they are NOT the same thing). Good luck getting yours finished before your sister descends.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today