Out Of Ideas
My life is incredibly dull these days. Oh, but that's right. I've always been incredibly dull. Just...well, now I'm so dull I don't even have anything to blog about!
So far the biggest thrills for me this week have been the BK stacker I had for lunch yesterday and the buffalo chicken sub I had at Subway for supper Tuesday night. Well, them and the TONS of "fun" sized Snickers I've eaten. (They were on clearance. I was weak. *sigh) (Is it just me or is it incredibly sad/pathetic that all my biggest thrills involve food? I should be ashamed. And I would be if I cared.)
I did my very first bit of Christmas shopping today. (That's exciting, right?) I ordered Lyssa's gift from Kmart. And as I was telling my mother about it at lunch she says, "We shoulda waited to see if we could get it at the store." Me: When do we ever go to Columbus to go to Kmart?" (we don't have one in either of my two towns.) Mama: "I'm going Tuesday for Daddy's bloodwork." Of course I think I probably knew that, but still. I paid nearly $7 shipping and she's going to Columbus Tuesday? That stinks. But I realize, of course, that since I wouldn't be going with her, she probably would never have found it anyway. If the store even has it. Cause you know, sometimes the stuff on-line isn't always in the store. So I guess I should console myself with that, huh? And just be grateful that I've got at least one Christmas gift covered. Now I've only got like fourteen to go. But since I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting anyone else, I'll just move right along.
Trixie mentioned on her blog this morning that she's seriously not into the whole "Christmas music before Thanksgiving" thing. Personally, I love Christmas music. Some of my absolute favorite songs EVER are Christmas songs that only get played one month (or two, if you're in Wisconsin) a year. It's not fair. So I advocate listening to Christmas music all year long.
And actually, when I was much younger I used to break out the Christmas tapes (yeah...a looooong time ago. Remember cassette tapes? lol) the first of October. But like I told Trixie, I got so ridiculed for it that now I break out into hives if I reach for any Christmas music prior to Thanksgiving.
I may or may not risk it this year, though, since I'm seriously contemplating putting up my Christmas tree this weekend. hehehe If they still have the one I want, I'll be buying my first ever "big girl" tree Saturday and everything in me is just itching to go 'head and dress that puppy up. Again, all that work for only a month's enjoyment? Crazy.
But I do get where she (and a lot of other folks) is coming from. Thanksgiving is losing it's grip as a bonifide holiday celebration all to itself. Being crowded out by Christmas. And as Danica pointed out so beautifully this morning, Thanksgiving is an important God holiday, too. Giving thanks--and dedicating a whole day to it--for all the rich blessings in our lives is hugely important.
But I think I can be just as thankful with some Christmas music playing in the background. ;-)
Anyhoo, I'll prolly be a good girl and wait till the day after Thanksgiving to put the tree up. I cave to peer pressure and conformity, donchaknow.
But you know, Christmas ain't the Christmas I remember from my childhood. It's all about commercialism and shopping. That's the only reason that each year it's crowding out Thanksgiving more and more. Stores want bigger quicker sales. Consumers want more and more stuff, and cheap. And so Christmas ain't really about Christmas. It's about shopping. Sad.
I love Christmas because it's Christmas. And even though the consumer in me is all "oh no you ain't!", I think I'd love it just as much without all the buying and spending. Gifts and junk...Can anyone even remember what they got last year? Or what they gave? I can't.
Anyway, I'll save that tangent for after Thanksgiving. ;-)
So far the biggest thrills for me this week have been the BK stacker I had for lunch yesterday and the buffalo chicken sub I had at Subway for supper Tuesday night. Well, them and the TONS of "fun" sized Snickers I've eaten. (They were on clearance. I was weak. *sigh) (Is it just me or is it incredibly sad/pathetic that all my biggest thrills involve food? I should be ashamed. And I would be if I cared.)
I did my very first bit of Christmas shopping today. (That's exciting, right?) I ordered Lyssa's gift from Kmart. And as I was telling my mother about it at lunch she says, "We shoulda waited to see if we could get it at the store." Me: When do we ever go to Columbus to go to Kmart?" (we don't have one in either of my two towns.) Mama: "I'm going Tuesday for Daddy's bloodwork." Of course I think I probably knew that, but still. I paid nearly $7 shipping and she's going to Columbus Tuesday? That stinks. But I realize, of course, that since I wouldn't be going with her, she probably would never have found it anyway. If the store even has it. Cause you know, sometimes the stuff on-line isn't always in the store. So I guess I should console myself with that, huh? And just be grateful that I've got at least one Christmas gift covered. Now I've only got like fourteen to go. But since I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting anyone else, I'll just move right along.
Trixie mentioned on her blog this morning that she's seriously not into the whole "Christmas music before Thanksgiving" thing. Personally, I love Christmas music. Some of my absolute favorite songs EVER are Christmas songs that only get played one month (or two, if you're in Wisconsin) a year. It's not fair. So I advocate listening to Christmas music all year long.
And actually, when I was much younger I used to break out the Christmas tapes (yeah...a looooong time ago. Remember cassette tapes? lol) the first of October. But like I told Trixie, I got so ridiculed for it that now I break out into hives if I reach for any Christmas music prior to Thanksgiving.
I may or may not risk it this year, though, since I'm seriously contemplating putting up my Christmas tree this weekend. hehehe If they still have the one I want, I'll be buying my first ever "big girl" tree Saturday and everything in me is just itching to go 'head and dress that puppy up. Again, all that work for only a month's enjoyment? Crazy.
But I do get where she (and a lot of other folks) is coming from. Thanksgiving is losing it's grip as a bonifide holiday celebration all to itself. Being crowded out by Christmas. And as Danica pointed out so beautifully this morning, Thanksgiving is an important God holiday, too. Giving thanks--and dedicating a whole day to it--for all the rich blessings in our lives is hugely important.
But I think I can be just as thankful with some Christmas music playing in the background. ;-)
Anyhoo, I'll prolly be a good girl and wait till the day after Thanksgiving to put the tree up. I cave to peer pressure and conformity, donchaknow.
But you know, Christmas ain't the Christmas I remember from my childhood. It's all about commercialism and shopping. That's the only reason that each year it's crowding out Thanksgiving more and more. Stores want bigger quicker sales. Consumers want more and more stuff, and cheap. And so Christmas ain't really about Christmas. It's about shopping. Sad.
I love Christmas because it's Christmas. And even though the consumer in me is all "oh no you ain't!", I think I'd love it just as much without all the buying and spending. Gifts and junk...Can anyone even remember what they got last year? Or what they gave? I can't.
Anyway, I'll save that tangent for after Thanksgiving. ;-)
Comments
Hey! Someone else posted to yesterday's post that a station near here -- NOT in Wisconsin -- started playing Christmas music before Halloween, so there.
:-P~~~~~
Finances being what they are right now, I haven't even started thinking about Christmas. Just don't want to go there. I do, however, remember some of what was given and received last year.
As for finances, I think everyone's in that boat. In our family we're discussing ways to scale back on the prezzies without feeling cheated. Everybody's broke. *sigh*