Got Storage?

For some reason, my house doesn't have a linen closet. Not in the bathroom, not anywhere. A problem when you need someplace to store your towels. At the apartment I solved this same problem by keeping the towels on a small bookcase in my bedroom.

A clever solution, right? Well, clever, but not altogether asthetically pleasing.

A linen closet is the one thing I actually miss about the lake house. It had an awesome one, placed conveniently just outside the bathroom door. It held all my bath towels, wash clothes, hand towels and even all my sheets.

But I suppose losing a linen closet is a small price to pay for a house that is warm in the winter, cool in the summer and isn't sliding off it's foundation...among other things.

For a while I used the same bookcase in my house that I'd used in the apartment. And it's functional if not exactly pretty. I'd toyed with the idea of buying an amour just for towels and linens. I shopped around and even found one that matched the dresser I wanted (and now have!) but couldn't justify or make myself spend the money on it.


Well, enter Ethan. When he was born and Sis2 moved into their new house and started preparing his nursery, she mentioned that she'd love to have a small bookcase for his room. Lyssa's got the other one that matches the one I have and she wished she had one for Ethan's room.

And wouldn't you know it, she had a baker's rack that she wasn't going to be able to use in their new kitchen. So, the inspiration bug bit me and I made a deal with her. I'd give her the bookcase I used for my towels if she'd give me her baker's rack and let me spraypaint it. (It was dark green with brass knobs.) She agreed.

The result?



Super fab and on the cheap. For the cost of a $2 can of spraypaint and a few hours of work, it's a super pretty and elegant open shelving for my towels and linens. Best part is, the curves on it mimic the curves of my headboard. Once my headboard is (finally!) spraypainted they'll tie in well together.
Not bad for a half redneck girl, huh?

Comments

Heather said…
You're really getting into this DIY stuff, aren't you? LOL
Jana said…
LOL Yeah. I'll probably get over it sooner or later but for now I'm enjoying it.
Heather said…
I have a desk my sister (for some ungodly reason) painted pink that you can refinish. *WEG*
Jana said…
LOL I've got primer, sandpaper and several brushes...send it to me! hehehehe

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Lost

Me and the boob tube

Ten Things That Make Me Happy Today